KSP Phase 2 Trunked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronwill59

Has there been any discussion that KSP my go to a trunked Phase 2 format?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I have not seen anything in writing but their system has several years on it and would not surprise to see them move to that. Their system was very well built at the time they bought it and works very well for them still today.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There was some money in the budget a few years ago for improvements to the KSP radio system. It didn't look like nearly enough to change it from a conventional system to a trunked system.

I would question the wisdom IF KSP was to even consider a trunked system. Those things are to make the most efficient use of a radio system frequencies. There is relatively little traffic on KSP channels as it is. So the two channels (A/B) per post sounds sufficient. Yeah they probably could see about the multicasting part to eliminate the need to multiple frequencies so that all units in a post are can hear each other. Probably some of the more recent advances in technology available now versus when this system was developed some time ago could make that happen.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
That like you said in a lot of money. If they used the same sites and combined the 2 frequencies into a trunking system it would give them 3 talk channels I just do not see the gain worth the money. They would still have to use the mobile car repeaters to make the portables work 100%.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
I would like to get my input in here. Let's say they decided to move to a trunked system. Would DFW, Transportation Cabinet, or EMA move as well kinda like TACN?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
They could but more talk channels would need to be added and just in W KY you are looking at several millions per site plus the user radios each agency would need to help pay for the sites backbone and upkeep. That is why here if a site is needed the user needing the site pays the bill plus if like here each radio on the system is billed $200 a year each.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
I would watch the new regional system in Western KY ... Watch it for a bit. If the state was to decide to do anything, they would do it like TACN.. And use the WKYRTRS as a build base.. And you bet they would add everyone as much as possible. At least all State users to begin with, then more as they went. Its how you pay for these things...

Remington12G

GØT AES?
I would watch the new regional system in Western KY ... Watch it for a bit. If the state was to decide to do anything, they would do it like TACN.. And use the WKYRTRS as a build base.. And you bet they would add everyone as much as possible. At least all State users to begin with, then more as they went. Its how you pay for these things...
Out of curiosity, where did TACN originate from?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Original was the TVRTRS.Tennessee Vally Regional TRS which is it's original core.chattanoogs area down into GA

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
My opinion is that Kentucky has really missed the boat on many opportunities to build a state wide radio system. They've talked in the past about that, but between finances and different visions it went nowhere.

If they did do a KSP type trunked system, I can see other state agencies jumping in sooner or later. By DFW, if you mean Fish and Wildlife, they are already on KSP (the 7 thousand units).

ronwill59

Ok, having been out of the hobby since the mid-'90s, and looking to purchase my first digital scanner, what would be recommended. I live in West KY.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
At risk of straying off topic and running afoul of the rules. . . :)

Ok, having been out of the hobby since the mid-'90s, and looking to purchase my first digital scanner, what would be recommended. I live in West KY.

You could get by with a Uniden 996P2 (mobile/base), 325P2 (portable), 536HP (mobile/base), 436 (portable), SDS 200 (mobile/base), SDS 100 (portable). As the cost increases, so does the number of features, etc. I don't know if Paducah area or Owensboro uses a simulcast system - its possible - if so, then one of the SDS models will give best results.

empireco

I hope everything stays the way it is for at least the near future. I enjoy listening very much and would hate to see the State go to an all encrypted TRS like Lexington.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Not all of Lexington is encrypted, Central Metro is Paritel with dispatch encrypted & units in the clear. Most airport operations are also in the clear and most of the public works that are currently moving to the TRS.

Status
Not open for further replies.