KSP ( Question About Radios )

Status
Not open for further replies.

pddispatcher

Hello,

Over the last few days I've heard some things and I want to confirm...

I've heard that the portables that are being used are programmed conventional to the car repeater than the car repeater transmits it to the tower APCO-25? Would that mean that if I knew that frequency I could still listen to KSP as long as they was within portable range of my location.

If so does anyone have that frequency.

BTW I am in Post 4 area.

BigEd1314

Premium Subscriber
and if your interested, KVE also has mobile extenders on 153.920. And yes, if you have the correct PL tone, if you key up the mobile extender, it will key up the digital system and what ever is said on the extender is repeated on the digital system.

pddispatcher

Mobile Extenders

OK Thanks,

Mastr whats your callsign don't know who you are.

Does the mobile extender only transmit while the trooper is out of his vehicle or is it all the time?

BigEd1314

Premium Subscriber
Well, I am not sure, i think they can turn it on and off manually, or maybe by remote control, but really i don't know. I do know i hear them all the time on my scanner at my house. I live right next to I-75, so that might be why. I know some state troopers, and when i get home from vacation (if the question hasn't been answered yet) i'll ask them and let you know something.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Does the mobile extender only transmit while the trooper is out of his vehicle or is it all the time?[/QUOTE]

I don't know if things have changed lately, but a few years back the FCC required the use of vehicular repeaters to be under "positive control" meaning they could not always be left on. It used to be that the portables were in a vehicular charger, and when the portable was taken out of the charger, the vehicular repeater would activate. There was also a switch on the vehicular repeater that allowed the person to leave the repeater off even when the portable was removed.

Also, again years ago, the Wisconsin state patrol had their vehicular repeaters set up on some kind of switch that detected when the trooper exited the vehicle, that kicked the repeater on. That allowed the troopers to keep the portables on their belts.

mastr

BigEd1314 said:
...And yes, if you have the correct PL tone, if you key up the mobile extender, it will key up the digital system and what ever is said on the extender is repeated on the digital system.

I wouldn't advise doing that, to say the least. Antics like that are what give "scanner" users (and ham operators) a bad reputation, and besides I don't need the O/T that would result.

Last edited:

BigEd1314

Premium Subscriber
i know, i was just stating that it can be done. I know when someone keys up a units extender, at dispatch it shows what units radio is keying up. I know a few KSP guys and they demonstrated it to me. But I never said to try it cause it will get you in LOTS of trouble if you are caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.