KSP Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4JNW

I'm wanting to monitor KSP in Central Kentucky, and I was curious as to how the KSP transmitter sites were configured. I noticed sometimes there are more than 1 frequency for the same area. Such as for KSP Post #7 in Richmond. The RR Database lists 2 different frequencies for Madison County. 460.025 & 460.300.

Why is this?

Do I need to program both of these frequencies, or should I only program one? If the KSP system is a simulcast deal, I assume I would only need to program one frequency, but I am not sure on how it's all set up.

I'm usually in either Estill County, Madison County, or Fayette County, so I'm wanting to program up KSP frequencies for those areas.

Thanks!

dwh367

The reason for two frequencies is they have an "A" and a "B" channel. The "B" channel is the main dispatch channel and the "A" channel is an alternate channel. It is a multicast system so technically you only need to program whichever tower you can hear the best for a particular post.

Last edited:

trashman43

Kentucky DB Admin...
Database Admin
KSP uses a multicast system. Each Post has 2"channels" an "A" channel and a"B" channel
Each ch is multicast across the "Post" area using several different frequencies. The radio in the vehicle then used voting scan to pick the tower site with the best signal.
Ch. B is normally dispatch
For the Richmond area, 7A is 460.025 and 7 B is 460.300
You can look at Kentucky State Police Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
for Post 7 to see which freqs you need to progam in as you move through the post area.

I'm wanting to monitor KSP in Central Kentucky, and I was curious as to how the KSP transmitter sites were configured. I noticed sometimes there are more than 1 frequency for the same area. Such as for KSP Post #7 in Richmond. The RR Database lists 2 different frequencies for Madison County. 460.025 & 460.300.

Why is this?

Do I need to program both of these frequencies, or should I only program one? If the KSP system is a simulcast deal, I assume I would only need to program one frequency, but I am not sure on how it's all set up.

I'm usually in either Estill County, Madison County, or Fayette County, so I'm wanting to program up KSP frequencies for those areas.

Thanks!

trashman43

Kentucky DB Admin...
Database Admin

N4JNW

Thanks!

Ok, so here's what I've got so far. I sortof expanded the counties I wanted to listen to a little bit.

KSP Madison County B - 460.300
KSP Clark County B - 460.375
KSP Fayette County B - 456.350
KSP Powell County B - 460.175
KSP Tac 3 - 453.300
KSP Madison County A - 460.025
KSP Clark County A - 460.100
KSP Fayette County A - 460.4250
KSP Powell County A - 460.4375

Just 5 frequencies dosen't sound like a whole lot of action could unfold. Will these really cover me as far as wanting to listen to KSP when I'm in these specific counties, and the one frequency will cover most any KSP transmission for it's respective county?

Last edited:

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
You might want to add 460.12500 B-Danville and 460.47500 A-Danville.... that way you have the west side of Post 7 in case the units along I-75 are just hitting that side...

trashman43

Kentucky DB Admin...
Database Admin
If you have some room left in your 500 you might want to add
154.665--vehicle repeater
154.920--Command Post repeater, be sure to program this one in as auto. It has been monitored in analog and P-25 mode

bewybob

You might want to add 460.12500 B-Danville and 460.47500 A-Danville.... that way you have the west side of Post 7 in case the units along I-75 are just hitting that side...

i only have the clay city tower entered in my scanner, and i can hear units in mason, and fleming counties.
i wouldn't think that they would be hitting the clay city tower. i could be wrong. i thought as long as you had channel A and channel B for any post you would be able to hear everything post wide.

dwh367

i only have the clay city tower entered in my scanner, and i can hear units in mason, and fleming counties.
i wouldn't think that they would be hitting the clay city tower. i could be wrong. i thought as long as you had channel A and channel B for any post you would be able to hear everything post wide.

You are correct as long as you are monitoring from a fixed location. However, if you switch locations, you may have to program another tower closer to where you are at the time.

For example, I listen via the Cloverport tower when I am at home. However, when I go to my girlfriend's, in Owensboro, I have to listen via the Reed tower. Both cover post 16.

Status
Not open for further replies.