KTVI (St. Louis) Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

nascarfan999

As some of you probably know, it is the time of year where radio skip is quite common. I've already noted several stations (mostly from NC) that I have picked up from my location here in MO (full listing over on the skip forum). However, this post deals with interference caused by the skip conditions on TV Ch2, and specifically, KTVI in St. Louis. From around 6:15-7:30 this evening, my picture of KTVI was joined with a 2nd station, believed to be WUND out of Edenton, NC. I was unable to conclusively identify the station, however, and I was hoping maybe others in the area could confirm if that was indeed the station. It's a shame that this will be our final summer of TV skip :mad:

Also, I've noticed some of the higher bands are working better than normal. For example, I normally am unable to hear Arnold PD's dispatch on 453.800 (shared by St. Ann Public Works/PD), but did hear them for a while last night/ this morning. Keep your ears open around sunrise and sunset and you never know what you might hear these days :D

kc4jgc

What info are you looking for? WUND indeed is on 2; it's a PBS station that's operated by the University of North Carolina. In fact, UNC operates all the PBS stations in NC. Here's a graphic link you might be interested. It's from the Virginia Radio and TV website.

http://www.vartv.com/images/unctv_transmitters.jpg

I don't think DTV will spell the end of TVDX per se. I believe that manually tuning through the channels during tropo enhancements may find surprising results. Last year, I found a couple central NC DTV stations as well as 3 Richmond VA stations on DTV. True, those were "short distance" relatively speaking, but shows it is possible. May not be as impressive as you experienced; you'll never know.

nascarfan999

The primary purpose of my initial post was in hope that others who may have experienced the skip can help positively ID the station as WUND. Because the interference was occurring with the local station, I did not see enough information to confirm it was indeed WUND. However, I was picking up most of NC Highway Patrol on the 42.xx band at the same time, which leads me to believe that the station was indeed WUND. In addition, I think I was able to pick out the UNC TV logo in the bottom right of the screen, but again I am not sure and was hoping that someone could confirm it.

As for DTV skip, I know my receivers would make it nearly impossible for me to monitor skip, as I believe you must do a full rescan if you want to find any new channels (although I haven't had the converter box very long so I could be mistaken and just not doing it right).

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
kc4jgc said:
In fact, UNC operates all the PBS stations in NC

Almost, In 1982, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Public Broadcasting Authority assumed WTVI’s license, and the station took on a broader community-oriented role.

kc4jgc

nascarfan999 said:
As for DTV skip, I know my receivers would make it nearly impossible for me to monitor skip, as I believe you must do a full rescan if you want to find any new channels (although I haven't had the converter box very long so I could be mistaken and just not doing it right).

For a converter, you may be right. I will be getting a converter for my truck TV/VCR soon. I've already anticipated doing a rescan anywhere I turn in for the night.

With a TV /w an ATSC tuner, you can manually go through the channels. That's how I found the DTV DX last year.

BTW, what converter did you get? Are you happy with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.