KU/LG&E/ODP Power Outage Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
For those of us who can't get enough information while pursuing this scanning obession, add this to your bookmarks... Storm Central is a near real-time map showing outages across the Kentucky Utilities, Louisville Gas and Electric Company and Old Dominion Power areas served in Kentucky. Info comes from the KU/LG&E/ODP Outage Management System (OMS). Info is available down to about a mile square area around a circuit, searchable by county and by zip code. As info is added to the system the map automatically updates.... as more crews assess the outage estimated time until restoration is also added..... They don't have any mobile apps yet but I'm told they should be available by year's end.....

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It's a shame that LG&E hasn't done what they promised us they will do - offering the fire service the ability to report downed wires on-line. If a bad storm hits, now we either fax a list to them, and have no idea if they read it, or if it's serious, call them and hope they answer the phone (which they've been known not to during these things).

While I'm sure laptop computers with air cards and I-phones will work during power outages, the bulk of the people still use "regular" computers at home requiring electrical power. If you ain't got power, how are you gonna have power for your computer to see what's going on with the power?

Wednesday mornings are always great for blowing off steam.

jackj

Another thing to consider is that if your power is out, chances are that the power is out at the nearest cell site also. About half of all cell sites have battery backup power, most Sprint sites in our area don't, but hardly any have on-site generators for extended outages. A tech has to tow out a generator, set it up and service it for an extended outage.

Status
Not open for further replies.