Kudos to Springs Ham!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFsponge

From Boulder County:

On February 19, 2010 at approximately 4 p.m., Boulder County Sheriff's Deputies, along with Rocky Mountain Rescue Group and Pridemark Ambulance, responded to the area of Guinn Mountain on the report of an injured skier. (Guinn Mountain is located west of Eldora Mountain Resort).

60-year-old Steve Priem, an experienced backcountry skier, had been skiing in the area when he took a fall. He summoned for help with a hand held ham radio. Another ham radio operator heard the call and then called 911 for help.* Priem was in radio contact with the ham operator and rescuers throughout most of the incident. Priem was also using a GPS and a rescue whistle.

Rescuers accessed the area on the Boulder County side through the Eldora Mountain Resort on snowmobiles. At the same time, rescuers from Alpine Search and Rescue, Timberline Fire Department, Gilpin Sheriff's Office and Colorado State Parks entered from the Gilpin County side on snowmobiles and a snow cat.

After 3 ½ hours, Priem was located by rescuers. They then evacuated him out five miles via snowmobile to Eldora Mountain Resort to an awaiting ambulance. Priem was then transported to an area hospital where he is being treated for non-life threatening injuries.

Please remember to be prepared when entering the backcountry. It is best travel with a friend and carry a headlamp, GPS or map and compass. In addition, with the winter weather, people should have the essential avalanche safety equipment (beacon, shovel, probe) and the knowledge to use them.

-------------------------------------------------

* This guy had a 5 Watt handheld radio and says he was in communication with a Ham in the Springs who called Boulder County for him. He credits the operator with saving his life and DOES NOT know who he is but wanted to convey his thanks.

Must've hit a repeater?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Good story on the KCNC news about this also seems the amateur radio operator from the Springs is still unknown, would have thought someone would have copied his call sign?

Jim<

RFsponge

Cool radio!

I shot and edited that story and the guy is going to try to go through Sheriff's Dept Monday to find out who the ham is. He was pretty doped up yesterday and in considerable pain. I'll post a link as soon as the web guys get it up on the station's site.

Thought the radio itself was really cool. Looks like it came right out of Japan 30 years ago... I'll try to post a still of it as curious to see if you guys think it's as cool as I did...

Sorry again about the additional post...

kc0kp

Competed with the ICOM IC-O2AT circa 1982. 5 Watts output with the big battery. Held a whopping 10 memories. Was one of the first hand helds with built in PL encoding.

Status
Not open for further replies.