Elecraft: KX3 + PX3

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I went out to the Lake County Indiana EOC this evening to help put up a G5RV strung between two trees at around 60', the center droops down around 30' or thereabouts.

Tomorrow morning I'm heading out there to set up my Buddipole Deluxe with the 9' whips, and several other antennas. W9LJ (club call) will have 3 stations in operation. The KX3 will be operating primarily on 20m, 15m, and 10m phone. It will be operating solely on an external LiPO4 battery at 10 watts.

Two weeks ago I made three contacts on 20m, Vancuver B.C., Alabama, and Montreal, so the Buddipole proved it's ability to be heard. ;)

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I'd never checked out the Packtenna Mini. It does look like a nice setup, but surely require more than one person to put up. I am glad to hear that it worked out well for you and that you had a good time!

I can assemble and tune the Buddipole Deluxe by myself in about ten minutes, and be on the air in less than fifteen minutes.

For Field Day I configured the Buddipole as a L dipole using the 9.5' whips fully extended on the 18' telescoping mast and no coils installed. My antenna analyzer reported VSWR of 1.3 @48 ohms on 15m.

I found that with the ATU of the KX3 I could get the match down to 1.4:1 on 10m, 1.1:1 on 15m, and 1.3:1 on 20m. Since the other two club stations were using 20m and 40m, I was limited to 15m for the entire event. Notheless it was a lot of fun!

I found that I frequently got "more traction" by tossing in "W9LJ QRP" when replying to a calling station. For some reason the powerhouse stations would grant me recognition more quickly...

Now I suppose I should put my shoes on and go unload the trunk of my car. I was too tired last evening to bother with it! :)

prcguy

I had a deluxe Buddipole setup for many years and think its the best made antenna of its type on the market. With that said it was a mediocre to ok performer on 20 through 10m and lousy below 20m. It can also be a PIA to tune in the field and I grew tired of hauling the entire kit with antenna analyzer around.

I found resonant end feds like the PAR multi band or a $10 home made 40 through 10m EFHW runs circles around the Buddipole and helps make the most from QRP rigs like the KX3. With my KX3 or KX2 and a 63ft long multi band EFHW I have never failed to contact anyone I can hear and they are always suspicious of my QRP level due to my big signal.

My home made 40 through 10m EFHW rolls up into a plastic chalk line reel and the entire antenna with 25ft of feed line fits in my pocket.
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.