KXTV & KOVR 450 MHz freqs no longer in use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacscan

I haven't heard any traffic on KXTV channel 10's 450.3875 (CTCSS 167.9) for months. I also used to hear traffic on KOVR's 450.450 MHz frequency with a PL of 151.4, but I haven't heard any regular media traffic on that frequency in years. I put my BCT15 on CTCSS search and heard what sounded like techs doing maintenance on the transmitter or something similar on CTCSS 100.0.

I'm guessing that KXTV no longer uses their frequency because they got rid of their helicopter. I always hear traffic on KCRA's 450.100 frequency because they still have a helicopter. Is KCRA the only TV station left that still uses 450 MHz?

cousinkix1953

I haven't heard any traffic on KXTV channel 10's 450.3875 (CTCSS 167.9) for months. I also used to hear traffic on KOVR's 450.450 MHz frequency with a PL of 151.4, but I haven't heard any regular media traffic on that frequency in years. I put my BCT15 on CTCSS search and heard what sounded like techs doing maintenance on the transmitter or something similar on CTCSS 100.0.

I'm guessing that KXTV no longer uses their frequency because they got rid of their helicopter. I always hear traffic on KCRA's 450.100 frequency because they still have a helicopter. Is KCRA the only TV station left that still uses 450 MHz?

Try the FCC listing for KXTV

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/results.jsp

The others aren't listed under their call signs; but I couldn't even find the KCRA listings under Hearst-Argyle which is the owner of channel 3 in Sacramento. Weird as hell...

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Sacramento media

I don't monitor these freqencies as 'constantly' as I used to, but I have heard traffic from KOVR on their frequency in recent times (within the last year). I have not heard traffic from KXTV in many years. Your assumption that KXTV is not using the frequency since they no longer have a helicopter is a good guess. Of course the KCRA frequencies are always going, and I hear Dann on Metro Air to Air all the time too.

mcjones94

I have all Sacramento area media frequencies programmed in one of the banks in my scanner, but rarely listen to them. I sometimes turn them on just before the 17:00 newscasts but only hear KCRA-TV testing their in-house and field mics and then the newscast when it starts. Other then that, I don't hear anything on the other frequencies. I tried a wide search of the media frequencies and found alot of frequencies being used but none sounded like any local news channel.

Also, does anyone know if KTXL-TV (Channel 40 "FOX40") uses a media frequency and if so, which one?

And does anyone hear traffic on the radio remote broadcasts? This might be for another thread.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Also, does anyone know if KTXL-TV (Channel 40 "FOX40") uses a media frequency and if so, which one?
I have one programmed that was used last century. I have not heard anything on it in several years.

And does anyone hear traffic on the radio remote broadcasts? This might be for another thread.
I have media frequencies programmed for Sacramento and San Francisco. I pick up quite a bit including bay area broadcasters from the Sacramento area. There are quite a few frequencies that I actively pick stuff up on. When the Sacramento radio stations are going to do a live broadcast, they'll often start transmitting (dead air) for many minutes before you get to hear any audio.

cousinkix1953

I have one programmed that was used last century. I have not heard anything on it in several years.

I have media frequencies programmed for Sacramento and San Francisco. I pick up quite a bit including bay area broadcasters from the Sacramento area. There are quite a few frequencies that I actively pick stuff up on. When the Sacramento radio stations are going to do a live broadcast, they'll often start transmitting (dead air) for many minutes before you get to hear any audio.
KPIX TV is the same way. I pick up their dead carrier and the commercials from the channel 5 studios, several minutes before the reporter goes on the air. Lots of prep talk with the producer too.

One radio talk show host on KSCO used a VHF remote link at his home several years ago. Conversations between Dave Allen and his producers were quite humorous during the commercial breaks and the hourly newscasts. Somebody up in Marin county ought to see if they can pick up Michael Savage. Just imagine some of things that you might hear from this firebrand...

Last edited:

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
This info is from personal experience and long time monitoring with these radio systems.

KCRA
Main communication channel 450.1000 CTCSS 141.3 WQB257. At times you will hear them ID as "257 newsroom", "257 ENG", "257 tech center".
"channel 2" 450.5500 CTCSS 141.3 used to feed program audio to the chopper. This started when TV went digital, the chopper does not have a digital TV tuner in it. This channel can also be used for two-way communication with the chopper in an emergency.

The station has 4 base radios in it as well as 3 radios in the chopper and 1 or 2 in all live trucks and news cars.

KXTV
Main communication channel 450.3875 CTCSS 167.9. Was used to communicate with the chopper but its not used much anymore. I did hear them doing some digital transmitter testing with the chopper about a month ago.

KXTV also has 450.1500 CTCSS 167.9 that was used to communicate with the Stockton and Modesto newsrooms but they no longer have those newsrooms.

KOVR
Main communication channel 450.4500 CTCSS 151.4. When CBS took over KOVR and they built the new newsroom they did not install a two-way radio at the news desk and they are also not installing two-way radios in the new live trucks so basically the only ones using the radios now are the techs.

The KOVR radios have 450.4500 programed in 8 channels with 8 different CTCSS codes.

KTXL
Main communication channel 450.2500 CTCSS ? The last I heard the radios were not being installed in the new live trucks and I have not heard traffic on this frequency in years.

KFBK
Main communication channel 450.2250 no CTCSS. This frequency is still used for some live reports and some times in the morning CHP Air-21 will give traffic updates on it.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Media received in Sacramento area

It looks like ScannerBoy and my experiences are the same. Here is what I have logged as to actually hearing, or not hearing .....

Code:
161.670 CT:107.2 KPIX TV5 IFB
161.700 CSQ      I've heard KFBK on this one, can't tell you the nature of use.
450.100 CT:141.3 KCRA Usually producers/directors talking to field crew.
450.150 CT:167.9 KXTV Have not heard traffic in some time.
450.225 CSQ      KFBK Traffic reports from CHP aircraft.
450.250          KTXL Have not heard traffic in this century.
450.3875 CT:167.9 KXTV Have not heard traffic in some time.
450.450 CT:151.4 KOVR Alsp picked up CT100.0.  I ocassionally hear tech traffic.
450.5125 DC:074  KPIX Producers/directors talking to field crew.
450.525 CT:67.0  Metro Traffic; audio being broadcast on 1240 KSAC (they've probably changed their call sign since - lol).
450.550 CT:141.3 KCRA IFB (Interruptable FoldBack) Production audio output
450.800 CSQ      KFBK can't tell you the nature of use.
450.900 CSQ      KGBY Y92 Field reports (one of several frequencies).
455.755 CSQ      KNCI Field reports.

I also monitor a lot of San Francisco Media. KPIX's signals are always strong here, the other stations vary, so I only listed KPIX above.

Last edited:

sacscan

Thanks gmclam and scannerboy02 :). That explains why those frequencies are so dead now. Looks like I need to take KXTV's frequency out of my scanners. I took KOVR's out after my CTCSS search yielded nothing of interest.

KCRA is good to listen to on one scanner while others are monitoring a hot call. If it's a good pursuit or a fire I'll turn on the TV if KCRA follows it with their helicopter.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
KCRA is good to listen to on one scanner while others are monitoring a hot call. If it's a good pursuit or a fire I'll turn on the TV if KCRA follows it with their helicopter.
Unfortunately I end up locking out the IFB frequency because it ties up the scanner. But I find the other frequency to be good to monitor as it often gives me a heads up of where they are sending Dann. When he is up I also keep closer tabs on Metro Air to Air to find out where he might be headed.

sacscan

Unfortunately I end up locking out the IFB frequency because it ties up the scanner. But I find the other frequency to be good to monitor as it often gives me a heads up of where they are sending Dann.
Same here. In fact I only keep the IFB frequency in my handheld, locked out of course. I monitor 450.100 at home.

mkewman

it's a good idea to keep the frequencies in the scanner (unless you need their slots) many media companies are not installing the radio in their vans, but are investing some money into handhelds for emergencies.

Also, some stations use them around their studios in simplex mode.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
In the Sacramento area KCRA is the only station still using the two-way radio for day-to-day operations but all the other stations still have the equipment installed for back-up.

These days most of the stations are using NexTel/cell/text for day-to-day operations. A few stations are starting to use mobile broadband and in-house IM programs to communicate.

videovenger

Premium Subscriber
Kxtv

I am a freelance tv news photographer. Presently, I am the only one using the KXTV uhf radio. They rely on cell phones because every station in town used to listen to every other station. Now days, Nextel and cell is the best way to communicate. I use the uhf (450.15 repeater) between 0300 and 0800.

crucialcolin

Speaking of KFBK radio a bit off topic but I'm wondering if KHTK(sports 1140) is using a frequency for remote broadcasts. I've allways wondered how they got the kings games to the station from Arco.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
KHTK has a microwave link between ARCO and the studio, several TV stations also have microwave links to ARCO for both audio and video.

On a side note NexTel had a large outage for a few days last week in the area north of Sacramento and we (KOVR) but portable two-way's on 450.4500 in use for back-up to talk with crews in the event NexTel was not working.

crucialcolin

I forgot about microwave links. No wonder i never saw anything for a KHTK frequency out there lol.

I wonder how large of an area that outage affected and if it effected normal users as well? I know of a friend of mine was having issues with his Nextel here in Roseville with PTT and Voice. One strange thing is no one could reach him via regular voice( my Sprint CDMA phone included) but he could make outgoing calls. PTT always gave a busy signal.

I probably would have experienced it myself if I hadn't retired my old trusty i560 and bailed on Nextel(iDen) for a 3g data equipped Blackberry a few months ago. Data on iDen just got to be way to unbearably slow. Plus i didn't use PTT enough to warrant sticking with it. Also I've noticed a drastic degradation in overall network quality as well like dropped calls, busy signals, garbled voice, etc in the last year around the South Placer area. It seems like sprint cant be bothered with properly maintaining the iDen network or even wants to invest in its upkeep.

That reminds me I wonder what all these stations are going to do when Sprint pulls the plug all together for iDen/Nextel in the next 2-3 years like they recently announced?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I forgot about microwave links. No wonder i never saw anything for a KHTK frequency out there lol.
If you are in the path of the microwave or very very near one end, you might be able to pick it up on a scanner. Of course it must also be analog and not digital or video. Can someone tell us the microwave frequency of this link - is it in the 900 MHz band?

When it comes to broadcasters, look for licenses by their parent companies as well.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
I wonder how large of an area that outage affected and if it effected normal users as well?

I was told the outage was from Roseville north along SR65 to the Marysville area.

I know of a friend of mine was having issues with his Nextel here in Roseville with PTT and Voice. One strange thing is no one could reach him via regular voice( my Sprint CDMA phone included) but he could make outgoing calls. PTT always gave a busy signal.

This is the same problem we were having.

That reminds me I wonder what all these stations are going to do when Sprint pulls the plug all together for iDen/Nextel in the next 2-3 years like they recently announced?

A number of stations are already moving from Nextel iDen to Sprint CDMA as well as other networks like Verizon. For example KCRA moved to Verizon over a year ago and outfitted all the crews with smart phones with unlimited voice/data plans.

With real time text/IM/email on a smart phone the need for PTT is not as critical as it was in the past. A lot of newsroom computer systems have programs now that interface with smart phone apps for news gathering/communication.

Status
Not open for further replies.