L.A. County cities seek to merge police forces to cut costs (Maywood/Bell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
At one time, many years ago, I believe there was the Bell-Cudahy Police Department.
Yep, beginning 10/1/1974 Cudahy (previously patrolled by LASD) contracted with Bell and they formed the Bell-Cudahy PD, which first shared 154.04 with Huntington Park PD, but went to 155.19 when LAPD gave it up about 1983.

The department was under the control of the City of Bell, which caused political problems almost from the get-go, and Cudahy finally dropped out and went back to contracting with LASD in December, 1989. One officer was quoted as saying that "What happened now is that Bell and Cudahy got a divorce and Bell got custody of the Police Department."

About 2004 Cudahy again dropped the LASD contract and joined with Maywood PD.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
On the Maywood website about the loss of insurance coverage and says the following:

"In the meantime, Maywood is also considering the possibility of contracting out police services to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. However, the City Council’s priority is to continue the progress it has made over the past three years to provide community based policing. Therefore, we are diligently working to try and maintain our local police force, and are exploring the possibility of establishing a joint policing authority with a neighboring city."

Personally, I'd say contract with the County and get it over with. The string of Police department combos the city has been involved in the last 30-years have obviously been less then successful and doubt any other combo being contemplated would fare better.

DPD1

I don't understand why many cities seem reluctant to use the county. Personally, I think they're one of the better departments in the region. I use to work in the West Holly area... They were always prompt, and we never had a problem. The other night they just caught three guys in WH who had been doing holdups all night long. LAPD missed them each of three times they hit in their areas. LASD got them on the first one in their area.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Due inability to secure insurance coverage for the City, Maywood will be dispanding its police department June 30th.
LA Times story mentions replacement options are to contract with either Bell, or the County.

Maywood to disband Police Department - latimes.com

Never realized how troubled the department was, but according to the LA Times story "the force appeared to function as a virtual refuge for misfit police officers", and as been subject to Attorney General's probes and stipulated court order to reform.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin

ctadam12

Not surprised at all. A Sergeant friend of mine from a neighboring city told me about a couple of officers that would show up to calls drunk. It was another Compton, just smaller. LASO will be fine.

Due inability to secure insurance coverage for the City, Maywood will be dispanding its police department June 30th.
LA Times story mentions replacement options are to contract with either Bell, or the County.

Maywood to disband Police Department - latimes.com

Never realized how troubled the department was, but according to the LA Times story "the force appeared to function as a virtual refuge for misfit police officers", and as been subject to Attorney General's probes and stipulated court order to reform.

patin

maywood -- bell pd

so whats gonna happen with bell pd are they also still gonna disband since maywood pd is no longer after june 30

Status
Not open for further replies.