L&M Medics

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
They are just Ford Police Interceptor Utility (Explorers) vehicles, grey with the Orange/Blue safety stripes on the rear. Not any worse than the maroon rigs they are driving now.

Middlesex has moved to the Explorer and Tahoe , most are moving away from the full size rigs, like the F-350, because they are fuel hogs. The lay out and space is quite difference, but they packed it all in there. I think the Expedition might have made more sense due to space, but they are also fuel hogs and no longer come readily available from Ford's Police Interceptor line.

Rred

Rich, if you go to Audi in Germany you can order a Q5 outfitted as an emergency response vehicle. Complete with lights and sirens and dual battery, all factory equipment. Apparently in the EU they don't find box trucks to be the best way to send EMS out. Unlike here.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
The fact you find them ugly may be the reason they went that route. I had a supervisor at one of the hospital based NYCEMS facilities that used an ugly scheme also. His idea was that it knocked down the number of complaint telephone calls he got because his units stood out against all the other ambulances operating in his area when his units were doing something bad traffic wise.The other possibility is they got a good deal on the color, or was a mistake order.

There is no difference in fuel mileage between an Explored and Expedition they use the same drive train. That was one of the reasons I went with the Explorer PI. I wasn't going to spend an extra $10k for basically just a larger vehicle.

Quote"Rich, if you go to Audi in Germany you can order a Q5 outfitted as an emergency response vehicle. Complete with lights and sirens and dual battery, all factory equipment. Apparently in the EU they don't find box trucks to be the best way to send EMS out. Unlike here.

I don't know about Conn but in NY an ambulance must have a interior headroom of 54 in. That law was passed to eliminate some services using station wagons, and you can get just about anybody to build you a purpose built vehicle, but at what costs. The Explorer PI runs about $26k, and with a nice interior with cloth seats, carpets, and the special head/ tail light packages less than $30k.

sefrischling

The fact you find them ugly may be the reason they went that route. I had a supervisor at one of the hospital based NYCEMS facilities that used an ugly scheme also. His idea was that it knocked down the number of complaint telephone calls he got because his units stood out against all the other ambulances operating in his area when his units were doing something bad traffic wise.

MetroNorth Ambulance stood out, our buses were purple. You want to talk ugly, we'd roll up on an MVA and patients would refuse to ride with us because our buses were so ugly! They'd rather die in the street than get in our ugly bus. Thank goodness they were bought out and given a white and blue paint job :0)

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I remember those, for a while I was trying to figure out if they had any connection to Metro North RR.

Our FD did something similar for our Chief cars, we were never given a reason by the commissioners why they went with the colors and vinyl wrap we got. Could have been the same reasons.

Rred

Color schemes?
Some years ago I was at a red light and heard all sorts of fire trucks sirens. Couldn't see where it was coming from and then, I could finally see the lights, on a yellow truck. Yellow? Fire trucks don't come in yellow, they're always Fire Engine Red. (Even if there are 40 shades of that.)
Just happened to be one of the first trucks in one of the first years they debuted the chartreuse aka "high visibility" color on fire trucks, and I was in a town that was testing it out. They had a lot of trouble with that, because everyone would look right at the trucks and ignore them, since fire trucks weren't yellow.

But of all the assorted emergency response vehicles I've seen, I think the Brits still do the best job with those huge checkboard patterns on their cars. Somehow, those always stand out.

There's just something, well, flat out wrong about a vehicle being used as an ambulance but sold with a "Police Interceptor" (PI) package on it. As if ambulances need to outrun police cars and chase them down?

As with NYS's continual changes in licenses plates, there are always all sorts of "scientific reasons" why a change has to reverse whatever the last change was. Usually, because someone's nephew needed a job.(G)

sefrischling

"There's just something, well, flat out wrong about a vehicle being used as an ambulance but sold with a "Police Interceptor" (PI) package on it. As if ambulances need to outrun police cars and chase them down? "

The vehicles come in one version for Public Safety Fleets, Ford calls the Interceptors. There is the Expedition Special Service Vehicle, but it is a totally difference vehicle and vehicle class. GM has the Tahoe as a PPV or SSV, and now the Suburban 3500, which isn't even listed in their available fleet vehicles.

Rred

Hmmm....I have an unclear but clear memory that my friends (then new) '71 Mustang with the odd rear hatch style change had a 429 Police Interceptor engine in it. You had to remove the valve covers to change the spark plugs, because they were in the "perfect" location, installed in the top center of each cylinder, between the valves.

Won't swear by it by called a 429"PI" either way, but I do remember that when you put it into reverse, a dedicated [REVERSE] light on the dashboard, added on not and in the cluster, came on.. Apparently because if you accidentally floored it in reverse thinking you were in first, you could break many things. And if you missed a shift and didn't know enough to palm-shift that car, you could also break your wrist.
Who had time for radios with all that going on?(G)

Status
Not open for further replies.