LA area and the SDS100 ( new to LA area scanning)

MountainMoose

Hello, i will be travelling to and staying in the W. Covina area at the beginning of June ( just for a weekend)
I was wondering how the SDS100 performs on any of the LA area cities/ systems? I am not new to scanning just never scanned or listened to the LA area systems.
I know in general the SDS100 doesn't do great on conventional analog stuff. Was wondering if I should just program my BCT125AT for those and use the SDS100 to scan any P25 or digital trunked systems. Thoughts? suggestions, tips.

TIA

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
The 125AT would be good for the CHP and aircraft. The SDS100 would be good for most of everything else.
There is still a fair amount of conventional analog and my SDS100 works good while I'm traveling around the LA basin listening to both analog and trunked.
CHP on the SDS is marginal at best with a outside mag mount on the car, not sure how the stock rubber duck would be.
Note, program before getting here. The trunking systems can get complex.

MountainMoose

The 125AT would be good for the CHP and aircraft. The SDS100 would be good for most of everything else.
There is still a fair amount of conventional analog and my SDS100 works good while I'm traveling around the LA basin listening to both analog and trunked.
CHP on the SDS is marginal at best with a outside mag mount on the car, not sure how the stock rubber duck would be.
Thanks, pretty much was the thought I had of how to set up the scanners. Appreciate you

MountainMoose

Any 700MHz CHP usage? or not yet

Eng74

You will need to adjust the filters on conventional analog for LACoFD. The SDS works good on the ICIS system too for Verdugo Fire and the LA RICS.

Eng74

The filters help on analog conventional scanning go into settings, scroll until you see filters I have good luck with wide normal.

MountainMoose

Note, program before getting here. The trunking systems can get complexAre

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Baldwin Park is the relevant CHP office. East of it is Rancho Cucamonga, to the west is East LA and Altadena, and to the south is Santa Fe Springs.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
Are you able to help me in what CHP divisions/areas to program for the LA area? There are so many! LOL
The old URL for my old map was hosted on a server in my garage that was destroyed in the CZU Lightning Complex fires. I finally had some time today and revamped the whole map using a new source of CHP office boundary information and corrected some of the known errors in the previous map. Now available at: http://fcc.matthew.at/CHP.kml
If you have Google Earth on a computer, I used the link in the above to program my SDS100 for the GPS while I'm traveling around So. Cal.
It gives you a clear map to each office and the area they cover. The link downloads a file that gets installed onto Google earth.
There is also a map on the CHP website that breaks down the various divisions in the state.