LA City plans P25 Trunked system – Option for LAFD & LAPD

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
I received some documents regarding the plans to upgrade the current LA City 800Mhz EDACS trunked radio system.

In summary the secondary responder system utilized by the bulk of city agencies will see an upgrade to P25 standard in the coming two years. The current EDACS system is beyond its current lifespan, and requires urgent replacement.

As part of the upgrade, LA City has a few build-out options.

Under planned Phase#1, the current 800Mhz system will be combined with LA DWP 900Mhz system and provide simulcast coverage from 6 LA Basin sites (Oat, Mt Washington, Mt Lee, San Pedro Hill, Lukens, and Baldwin Hills) for up to estimated 12,000 daily users.
Under phase #1 there is the flexibility and bandwidth to add 1,500 LAFD portables and 700 mobiles into such a system if the department moves ahead with its own radio infrastructure upgrade.

Under a potential Phase#2, support for an additional 12,000 users, including 10,400 LAPD users, and other contract agencies or adjacent cities could be possible come 2016 when the LAPD will require upgrades of its own as much of its equipment will have reached the end of life. Potential need to give back the UHF-T band result from recent Congressional bill further complicates the future of the LAPD radio needs and that of LA-RICS.

There is no mention of frequency needs for phase 2, but inference is made that the current 40 odd LA City 800Mhz channels, when combined with LA DWP 900Mhz frequencies, and potentially relinquished LAFD 800Mhz pairs would provide very high trunked capacity. (my calculation is some 80+ frequency system)

=

Last edited:

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Well Phase #1 really never happened as envisaged.
LA City STRS got its own P25 upgrade funded by Sprint/Nextel, while LADWP did its own separate thing to P25 on its 900Mhz system.

In the long term, yes I think LA City will develop something unified on its own and we are seeing a few small moves in that direction, including possible big clue in the coming few weeks if they opt to pull out of LA-RICS with that deadline fast approaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.