LA County approves annexation of Vernon Fire Dept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Been a while in the making, but the final hurdle reached to transition the Vernon Fire Department to Los Angeles County was approved today by the County.

Transition at the moment planned for late October.

Related was brought up that the fire district is in talks with the cities of La Verne, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, San Gabriel, and West Covina over potential future annexation with West Covina the furthest along in the process.

tkenny53

I hope they have enough station numbers left, lol
Vernon's FD motto: "Surround and drown"

657fe2

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like LA County Fire is going to be making major expansions. Remember when South Pasadena, San Marino and San Gabriel all teamed up to be the Verdugo Cities Fire Department sharing Chiefs. Then 1 day San Gabriel dropped out, dont know why. Also I think Redondo Beach City Council turned down LA County much to the chagrin of the FF's a couple of months ago.

PaulNDaOC

Redondo Beach is only interested in sharing harbor patrol functions with lifeguards which is under County Fire. West Covina rejected a proposal several years ago, San Gabriel has been on the back burner for a handful of years and the La Verne city council didn't want a chànge from a local fire department. Manhattan Beach is a pretty tony place but this cheap ** city does not want to pay its way.
A lot of the contract cash cities are like that wanting everything to be cost shared in their cities and not pay for district resources they use. La Habra, Pomona, Inglewood come to mind as the worst.
The more contract cities, the more the district subsidizes them, and the bigger the desire there is to raise taxes to pay for free-loaders.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
I don't believe the Fire District is fully interested in achieving total cost recovery from every city.

I met Chief Osby during the Hermosa Beach transition process and learned that the district in many cases views it beneficial to gain additional cities and stations to generate economies of scale and improve coverage in existing district areas. Some City contracts are even written in this manner where only a portion of a specific station cost is charged to the contract city with rest picked up by district under the assumption it will benefit areas outside the city and broader district.

Yes I am sure politics also plays a role, though I don't dismiss the concept that gaining additional cities does have some benefit for broader county coverage and resources.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
NICE! I love consolidation. I was a "Paid Call" FF for LACoFD back in the late 80s-early 90's. My current department Miami-Dade, has been sucking up cities for fire protection for over 50 years and now contract with 47.

657fe2

Premium Subscriber
If the cities, paid the same for fire services with the county, that they would get running their own fire department.,what would the incentive for joining the county be? City Councils would never give up control. They should do what's best for the public but we know how that goes. In scanning terms, its better for us, because just monitoring the Blue Freq's is easier then monitoring a bunch of different ICI talkgroups and hoping a radio is close to your local tower:D. It should be fairly funded through.

Kingscup

Feed Provider
A different LAcoFD topic; What's now the busiest dispatch freq, and the best TAC freq when I'm using Broadcastify?
Thanks

Blue 12 covers the Antelope Valley (Palmdale/Lancaster) and the Santa Clarita Valley (North county). Blue 5 covers the San Gabriel Valley (East county). Blue 1 and 3 cover the LA basin (South county and West county). Blue 8 is the countywide dispatch only. No other radio traffic is allowed on it. All of them are fairly busy. It is the luck of the draw on if you hear anything interesting. With Blue 12, you have a higher likelihood of brush fires. Otherwise, they are all the same. TAC channels are line of sight so its not likely anything would be picked up.

657fe2

Premium Subscriber
Kingscup sums it up pretty well. Blue 3 is interesting because it covers Ritzy Malibu and the Santa Monica Mountains, and it covers Badass Batt. 13, which is the area just east of South Central LA which has alot of the building fires and inner city issues. Nothing covers the Diversity of LA County quite like Blue 3.

PaulNDaOC

Has anyone noticed that anytime 74's gets a run in their area (Lakeview Terrace) they use Blu 3? While the rest of the battalion does not. I wonder if it is an issue with Blue 5:not having a site on Verdugo while Blue 3 does to cover the Valley areas.

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone noticed that anytime 74's gets a run in their area (Lakeview Terrace) they use Blu 3? While the rest of the battalion does not. I wonder if it is an issue with Blue 5:not having a site on Verdugo while Blue 3 does to cover the Valley areas.

74's and 75's (Chatsworth) are permanently assigned to Blue 3, though 75's is BN6 (SCV). Those are the only odd ones out. I don't know if I would say it's an issue, other than just location based for where the station is vs the intended coverage of Blue 5/12.

ActionJackson

There was no Blue 3 at Verdugo Peak when the decision was made to move 74's to Blue 3. Interesting enough, Rolling Hills, Castro Peak and Oat Mtn provided coverage as you wound your way around the front country. Now that Verdugo Peak is in our system we may just have to run DAQ tests and see if we can get 74's onto Blue 5 with the rest of their fold.

ActionJackson

74's and 75's (Chatsworth) are permanently assigned to Blue 3, though 75's is BN6 (SCV).

I wouldn't say permanent as we've built out the system a little. More build out is on the way with L.A.-RICS. 74's and 75's have been workin' alright on Blue 3 no one has really been thinkin' about movin' 'em off. Could change since folks are bringin' it up.

Engine104

Member since 2005
Action Jackson.. Not to hijack this thread, but are there any updates as to when the switch to LA-RICS will go live for LACoFD and LASD?
Thanks.

monitor142

Engine 104, just a FYI LA RICS is really running in a test period on certain cells. There are still a lot of sites to complete and ultimately link to the System Core(s). Per a good source who chimes in here every once in a while, the system will be brought up completely before you see mass migration of Departments; LACFD, LASD, and other participating agencies. Yes I know there are a lot of known and unknown users popping up on the network but they understand that it's not 100% yet.

Either way I hope that somehow the T-Band give back is repealed for the benefit of LAC agencies. It's a dumb move and unfortunately it hasn't had heavy weight support from elected officials even though it will directly impact every major metro area of the US.

-M142

Status
Not open for further replies.