La County Fire Helicopters

Status
Not open for further replies.

landonjensen

I live in arcadia ca in the san gabriel valley area, and at least 4 - 5 times a day the LA COUNTY FIRE helicopter flys over my house really low, and it never used to do that except every month or so. Any reason why?

RobertW1

It might have something to do with them being more proactive during this RED FLAG alert and the high fire danger we are experiencing this week. I know here in Burbank, the police chopper is spending alot of time flying low over the foothills watching for possible fires and arson activity.

Also, they have been calling up new strike teams all weekend for the DAY fire from various fire agencies From Burbank to Pomona. Perhaps it has something to do with that.

swest90

The helicopters are life flights. We dont have any trauma centers on the east side at all. Everyone has to fly to LA, causing delays in the patient being treated, no drive in care (trauma centers) here on the east side, and costly helicopters flights. And what happens when all the helicopters are busy? Pomona Valley lost its truama center in 88 or 89, most others closed during the 90's only a few county facilities left, all near LA.

Also listen to LA Co fire sometimes, they fly people out for ridiculous reasons. I cant beleive some of the stuff that people are getting flown out for. Guess its good to be procautionary, but then why not fund a trauma center for this side of the county?

I get about 5-10 a week fly directly over my house and into the school down the street. You will occasionally also see Mercy Air the white/blue newer helicopter fly in from Loma Linda when LA County doesnt have any availible helicopters.

Vote out these jackass county officials... Write some letters to local/state/federal officials about the appalling funding shortage for health care in Los Angeles County. There is much more about this in the local papers and the LA times over the last few years.

Hope that helps
Shawn

Last edited:

RobertW1

swest90 said:
Also listen to LA Co fire sometimes, they fly people out for ridiculous reasons. I cant beleive some of the stuff that people are getting flown out for. Guess its good to be procautionary, but then why not fund a trauma center for this side of the county?

I know that at times, San Bernardino County, Victorville to Wrightwood, seems to fly everyone out, usually via Mercy Air. Even a leg laceration can get you a helo flight. But I think it has to do with the problem that tranportation via the RA unit keeps that unit out of service for too long a time since drive times are usually pretty long.

RobertW1 said:
It might have something to do with them being more proactive during this RED FLAG alert and the high fire danger we are experiencing this week. I know here in Burbank, the police chopper is spending alot of time flying low over the foothills watching for possible fires and arson activity.

Also, they have been calling up new strike teams all weekend for the DAY fire from various fire agencies From Burbank to Pomona. Perhaps it has something to do with that.

yesterday Monterey ECC call out a local strike to help you guys down south again..

iepoker

This applies to those curious at who gets flown out, and who does not:

There is a thing that medics use when on scene called a trauma score. Certain things get you points, when the amount of points adds up to a certain amount, it is deemed that patient needs to be seen at a trauma center. Sometimes the MICN (Mobile Intensive Care Nurse) at the base hospital will recommend that the patient be seen at a trauma center. And yet, other times the medics make the call based on what they see on scene.

This should be known: Anyone whose airway is blocked, no pulse, severe bleeding, or no breathing goes to THE NEAREST FACILITY CODE 3 via ground. The trauma system relates to injuries requiring immediate surgery.

The helicopter is not always meaning a SEVERE injury, it means that the local hospitals dont have the gear (or more commonly, the neurosurgeon or surgeon) at their hospital.

I know that pomona flies out a lot of people with POSSIBLE head trauma... this is for good reason. A trauma center is defined as: A facility where a neorosurgeon, surgeon and Anastesiologist IS THERE ON SCENE WAITING FOR PATIENTS. Most, if not all other hospitals have those guys on call, which does not always fit into the Golden Hour model set up in the 80's. A patient with suspected problems that may need surgery needs to go to a trauma center... and we know that most of those kind of injuries dont LOOK so bad, but within and hour say, internal bleeding, catches up. As do brain injuries and leg lacerations that may need surgical help and not stitches.

So yes, a leg laceration doesnt sound so bad... but if the medical staff determines that sugery may need to be done, than why would they put them in an RA and drive them an hour away when air 5 can do it in 12 minutes... preserving the golden hour, and possibly a persons leg.

I hike the San Gabirels, and Air 5 does plenty of very routine airlifts out of there (broken ankles, heat/cold exposure etc)... but that has more to do with the viability of getting a ground ambulance 40 milles up the Angeles Crest and less to do with Trauma score.

In light End?

RobertW1

iepoker said:
This applies to those curious at who gets flown out, and who does not:

In light End?

?? Don't know about "In light End?" But I do feel enlightened. Thanks for the info!

Eng74

Also another reason is that the hospital ER in that area is closed which would then put the the PT at risk with something that might be minor to something that might become major. Drive time has also become a big thing if it takes 45 mins. to drive there and a helo can come in be on the ground and have them there in 25 mins it is much better PT. Really that is the big picture is what is best for the PT. If it is Mercey Air they make a lot of money too then. Anyone know if L.A. County Fire or L.A. City Fire charge for their helo flights?

karldotcom

LAFD now charges $889 for ALS, $622 for BLS, plus $14.50/mile.....I assume they charge at least that much for a helicopter?

Status
Not open for further replies.