LA Marathon - Sunday March 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
The annual LA Marathon is this weekend again.

Similar to the last few years, the course runs from Dodger Stadium down to the sea in Santa Monica.

With so many entities involving, there should good deal of radio activity for much of the day.

As in past years the following agencies likely will be active:

LAPD – several bureau/citywide tacs
LAFD - Multiple tac
LA City - DOT, Street Services, and General services active on 800Mhz trunked systems
LACo Sheriff – likely mix of C-Tac, A-Tac’s and Mutual Aid channels
LACo Fire - both UHF and VHF tacs
West Hollywood – Public works
Beverly Hills PD
Beverly Hills Fire
Beverly Hills Public Works & EOC
Santa Monica Police (previously they have removed encryption on one of their channels)
Santa Monica Fire
Santa Monica public works
ICIS might again lend the marathon organizers a TG for course communication.
Also Air to Air - 123.025 - normally a chopper with callsign "marathon 1" is used
Previously years have also found organizers using media channels 450.xxx for coordination.

The course map can be viewed at:
http://www.lamarathon.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/2013_LAM_8.5X11_Coursemap_final_outlined.pdf

=

PJaxx

The annual LA Marathon is this weekend again.

Similar to the last few years, the course runs from Dodger Stadium down to the sea in Santa Monica.

With so many entities involving, there should good deal of radio activity for much of the day.

As in past years the following agencies likely will be active:

LAPD – several bureau/citywide tacs
Will LAPD have separate command posts at the two dispatch centers, one for the Central Bureau divisions and one for the West Bureau?

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
According to thread from last year - this is what agencies used.

LAPD:
Citywide 1
Citywide 2
Citywide 3
Citywide 6
Citywide 7
Ch27 Airtac

LASD
Mutual Aid 1
Mutual Aid 2 (Bev Hills & Santa Monica monitoring this)
Mutual Aid 4
Mutual Aid 5
C-Tac
West Hollywood L-Tac

LACoFD
Blue-3
Blue-4
V-23

LAFD
Tac 11
Tac 14
Tac 15
Tac 16

Bev Hills
ICIS - Citywide
ICIS - Public Works
ICIS - Community Services
EOC
BHPD F3
BHFD F2

West Hollywood
Entertainment Enforcement Teams
Public works

LA City 800Mhz
Multiple DOT, Public works TGs

Santa Monica
SMFD-2
SMFD-3
SMPD-C (not ecrypted)
Public Works

Radio_Lady

Will LAPD have separate command posts at the two dispatch centers, one for the Central Bureau divisions and one for the West Bureau?
I doubt that the Valley CDC will be involved at all, since all the divisions through which the race runs (Northeast, Central, Rampart, Hollywood, West L.A., and maybe a tiny corner of Wilshire, not sure) are all dispatched from the Metro Dispatch Center downtown. The MCDC might have a BCC operator monitor a primary tac frequency in the event of some emergency situation, but the incident operations would be handled by the IC..

Things have changed over the years, and I never worked on "Marathon" day anyway, but the CP is likely to be at Dodger Stadium or across the street at the Police Academy, and I wouldn't be surprised if the city's Emergency Operations Center at Temple/Alameda is staffed by people from the city departments that LAflyer mentions, and even an outside agency or two. A good practice exercise for the relatively new facility.

Last edited:

PJaxx

I thought that all of West Bureau, including Hollywood, West Los Angeles, Wilshire, Olympic and Pacific divisions were dispatched from the Valley Communications Center. Or is this just something to do with the Marathon?
I doubt that the Valley CDC will be involved at all, since all the divisions through which the race runs (Northeast, Central, Rampart, Hollywood, West L.A., and maybe a tiny corner of Wilshire, not sure) are all dispatched from the Metro Dispatch Center downtown.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
So far this morning I have noted following channels actives for the Marathon event.

LAPD
Citywide - 2/3/4/6

LAFD
Tacs 2/10/11/14/15/16
Heard some radio checks on I-Tacs.

LASO
M/A 3/4
West Hollywood L-Tac

LACoFD
Blue 2/3
V-12D

LA DOT
Tacs B/D/F & Engineering

Beverly Hills
BHPD - 3/11
BHFD - 2
ICIS - 2278/2291

Santa Monica
SMFD -3
SMPD -C (not encrypted)
453.85 - being used by EOC
Public works

West Hollywood
Public works

Live TV broadcast using 450.875 for IFB and cuing.
Air-air chat on 123.025 "Marathon-1"
Have not checked amateur bands

Radio_Lady

As of late January or early February, West Bureau's RTOs are dispatching out of the MCDC downtown in an attempt to compensate for their worsening shortage of PSR's. They VCDC is handling the Valley Bureau and still receiving the incoming 9-1-1 calls for West Bureau, and holding on to enough calltakers for both bureaus. The City Council has been deaf to LAPD's need to hire at least two classes of trainees to make up for attrition which has taken a big toll on their staffing over the past two years.
I thought that all of West Bureau, including Hollywood, West Los Angeles, Wilshire, Olympic and Pacific divisions were dispatched from the Valley Communications Center. Or is this just something to do with the Marathon?
Radio_Lady said:
I doubt that the Valley CDC will be involved at all, since all the divisions through which the race runs (Northeast, Central, Rampart, Hollywood, West L.A., and maybe a tiny corner of Wilshire, not sure) are all dispatched from the Metro Dispatch Center downtown.

Status
Not open for further replies.