LA-RICS hopes P25 network from Motorola Solutions will be ready in October 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
It will be at least two more years before first responders will be able to use a completed Los Angeles Regional Interoperable Communications System (LA-RICS) P25 system being built by Motorola Solutions that already is about a year behind schedule, LA-RICS board members were informed yesterday.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Motorola has a long history of doing this. You'd think after such a track record these large agencies would write tighter performance requirements into the contracts. Unfortunately too many are blinded by the brand name.

And LA-RICS saying that the UASI grants will cover it is B.S. That's taxpayer dollars being wasted.

prcguy

Actually I made a typo, should read Blotorola.

Please consider Blotorola when you haven't quite spent enough or have received it on time. Blotorola will blow your budget and push your deadlines beyond imagination. Got a pesky analog system that's paid for and working perfectly? Just call Blotorola and we will address all your non issues.

"Bloatrola." Freaking awesome.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
In fairness, there have been significant delays in gaining environmental reviews and approvals at dozens of planned sites, especially with COVID delaying various agencies procedural timelines.
LARICS has also had to cancel some planned sites and figure out new ones which brings engineering and approval process which takes time. They have even had to deal with nonsense like completed sites sitting for extended periods as the power utility has yet get around to hooking up the sites.

900mhz

In fairness, there have been significant delays in gaining environmental reviews and approvals at dozens of planned sites, especially with COVID delaying various agencies procedural timelines.
LARICS has also had to cancel some planned sites and figure out new ones which brings engineering and approval process which takes time. They have even had to deal with nonsense like completed sites sitting for extended periods as the power utility has yet get around to hooking up the sites.
typical of liberal land politics

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
In MOST cases it is never really Motorola's fault for delays. It actually usually IS other companies like AT&T with connectivity failures, Utilities with power issues, FEMA, EPA with need to REDO what was done 4 times already, delays in construction contractors etc.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator

But it's more fun to blame everything on Motorola.

prcguy

Yes! Especially when their sales people come in and sell digital as the fix for everything and try to replace a perfectly good working system. Then it doesn't have good coverage like the old system and the fix is more sites costing more $$ and more time. Then it doesn't do something else promised but more $$ and time will fix that too. If Blotorola never showed up at the front door the existing system might have run 20 more years and worked perfect for its intended purpose.

But it's more fun to blame everything on Motorola.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I can't imagine the permitting process in California where everything seems protected or illegal.

This is a pointless post. "Everything seems to be protected or illegal". That's just not true. We've put up plenty of radio sites.

Motorola is just looking for an excuse to milk the government for more funds. They'll layer on the excuses and people will keep drinking that kool-aide.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
This is a pointless post. "Everything seems to be protected or illegal". That's just not true. We've put up plenty of radio sites.

Motorola is just looking for an excuse to milk the government for more funds. They'll layer on the excuses and people will keep drinking that kool-aide.

it always cracks me up how people who have no idea about our State, how it is run, or what happens here are experts based on nothing but rumor and innuendo. And can't wait to make it into a political statement.

prcguy

I live within receiving range of LA-RICS and its pretty screwed up here. Highest taxes, gas prices, corrupt govt, most restrictions, anything good is illegal, etc. The only thing that keeps me here is the weather and good police car chases on TV.

it always cracks me up how people who have no idea about our State, how it is run, or what happens here are experts based on nothing but rumor and innuendo. And can't wait to make it into a political statement.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I live within receiving range of LA-RICS and its pretty screwed up here. Highest taxes, gas prices, corrupt govt, most restrictions, anything good is illegal, etc. The only thing that keeps me here is the weather and good police car chases on TV.
Don't forget great outdoors just minutes away, and some of the absolute best RF environment in the world.

900mhz

Negativo

If you look at the history of Southern California land politics, you'll quickly learn that racism and NIMBY is what makes up land politics in SoCal.
agreed...all the typical behaviors of liberals. I deal with the same crap here in Connecticut. The sky is falling and radio towers cause cancer.

KQA726

I thought the nationwide intercommunications system was some stupid AT&T deal paid for by the TV band spectrum sell-off auction? Can each state decide what they want? And I second what others have said, a perfectly fine-tuned with time analog system with 99.1% coverage is abandoned for a digital system that will require 5 times as many towers and holes in coverage. Heck, even low band is a viable option in California for years, sometimes you don't need to re-invent the wheel?

Status
Not open for further replies.