LA Sheriff Helicopters

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Probably a simple question for some, but I don't know this answer regarding LASO. I monitor Dispatch 13 (L-TAC 10) and Dispatch 14 (L-TAC 3) to cover very local area here around Cerritos/Norwalk/Lakewood/Bellflower ...However, when a helicopter flies over in a local chase, what frequency are they they using for contact with the ground dispatch/TAC. Are they using one of the airband freq or A-TAC or Mutual AID freq. like A-TAC 4 or MA-5. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve AA6IO

finaldraft151

Premium Subscriber
Probably a simple question for some, but I don't know this answer regarding LASO. I monitor Dispatch 13 (L-TAC 10) and Dispatch 14 (L-TAC 3) to cover very local area here around Cerritos/Norwalk/Lakewood/Bellflower ...However, when a helicopter flies over in a local chase, what frequency are they they using for contact with the ground dispatch/TAC. Are they using one of the airband freq or A-TAC or Mutual AID freq. like A-TAC 4 or MA-5. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve AA6IO

Generally during a Code 9 or Pursuit the aero unit will be on the station's 'home' dispatch channel and with the patch opened for emergencies like this, Aero (generally) will be heard on the patch along with the ground units - Most of the time - There are many cases and circumstances where aero and ground units will switch to 'direct' (simplex) mode during emergencies, as this can sometimes be easier for direct communication with aero via simplex, thus they can 'step' on any non pertinent radio chatter being transmitted in full duplex by field units and SCC - In cases like this, SCC will not hear the units simplex traffic, nor will field units unless they are within simplex range - This also applies to anyone monitoring the emergency, as one would have to be within simplex range of the ground units and aero. LASO Aero also utilizes 'ABD' (Aero Bureau Dispatch) to communicate with their desk personnel as well as other LASO Aero units that are air born - Basically ABD is more than just a dispatch channel, it's the equivalent to L-Tac - Instead of car to car, it's pilot to pilot - But during emergencies, Aero will be on the station's channel - If no traffic is heard, it could mean they are using simplex and if you're not within the simplex range, you won't hear the radio traffic. Also in some cases, depending on the nature and circumstances, Aero units could be on any number of the tactical frequencies you mentioned, or they might be on a different PD Agency's dispatch channel. Hope that helps.

Best,
Eric Patton
KE6JLL

Status
Not open for further replies.