Lacey Twp. NJ P.D. Channel 2 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb2unk

Hello all,

Yesterday afternoon while listening to my Pro-163 scanner (which is programmed for only Lacey Local Freqs), I was hearing a lot of (what I call_ data tones or digital encrypted comms) on the Lacey Twp. NJ Channel 2 – 453.425 freq.. I really never noticed hearing this digital data before today. I do see in the RR Database that they do show a P25 Mode Private - Tone 293 NAC, plus a 664 DPL tone. I’ve never worked with these types of tones yet – only PL tones. I do realize that my Pro-163 would not be able to revive P25 anyway, but I do also have a Uniden BC796D that does have a P25 Card in it, so I could program this channel I guess into it, but also, has anyone else been able to hear anything worthwhile when listening to this Ch2 that is close by or in Lacey Twp (Forked River NJ) in these modes ??? Also, would this be a mixed mode of transmissions on the same channel and maybe are these comms the detectives perhaps taking privately ??? And – can I program this successfully into my BC796D ??? Any help, advice or sharing in on all of this would certainly be much appreciated. Thanks!

DJ88

Yes, you can program and receive it on the 796D. However, you must leave the PL tone off if you want to hear the digital transmissions. Programming the PL will only allow you to hear analog transmissions. You can't program the NAC, though. Only the 396XT, 996XT and HP1 have that capability.

kb2unk

Hi DJ88,

Thanks for your quick reply and help and for this good information! OK, I do have some additional questions now, if you can answer them for me?

#1: Have you ever listened to this channel and id so, what would I hear? PD Detectives, etc…?

#2: What type of comms would you hear in a digital (I guess a P25 Mode) and what would you hear in analog mode?

#3: What does the “NAC” mean? I’m sure it relates to something digital, but I don’t know for sure and I have never setup my 796D to run any P25 yet? And what would be the advantage of a 396XT, 996XT and HP1 to hear these comms ???

Thanks if you or anyone else can answer this stuff for me. I’m not going to go through the trouble of programming or even obtaining a new scanner to hear these comms, unless I know for sure that it would be worth my while because they may be good active comms.

DJ88

In response to questions 1 and 2, I can't answer specifically for Lacey Twp. as I don't monitor police on a regular basis; mostly just fire and EMS. Maybe someone who monitors them can answer for you.

With regards to question 3, you don't really have to "set up" your 796 to monitor P25 digital frequencies. As I stated, just program the frequencies you want to monitor and it will automatically decode the digital. If a frequency is used both analog and digital, again, as I stated, leave the PL (CTCSS) or DPL (DCS) tone off. Don't program it.

NAC works the same way PL/DPL tones work, except it's only used for digital frequencies. The only advantages you would have using a 996XT, 396XT, or HP1 would be that they may decode the digital signal better and they will accept NAC codes. I have a 785D, and it decodes digital very well.

If you're not getting good digital reception, you can adjust the digital threshold. Check your manual for instructions for that. But remember, the closer you are to a digital signal the better the reception and voice clarity will be, and subsequently, the farther away you are from it, the poorer the reception/clarity, even with the proper adjustments.

Remember this, the closer you are to a digital signal, the better the reception and voice clarity will be.

Devilz311

I saw it in the DB, but I never heard anything yet. I have my XTS2500 set to receive mixed mode on this channel, but haven't noticed anything digital. I'll have to pay attention from now on.

I still see some officers carrying MTS2000's, so perhaps digital is only used by certain officers?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
This is a first, I've never heard of analog and P25 on the same frequency and the same cop shop, they're completely different radio systems. I could say something about Willoughby being a burg in Lacy Township but you probably won't get it. (;->) Anyway, time to remove that 100 PL and see what happens.

DJ88

This is a first, I've never heard of analog and P25 on the same frequency and the same cop shop, they're completely different radio systems. I could say something about Willoughby being a burg in Lacy Township but you probably won't get it. (;->) Anyway, time to remove that 100 PL and see what happens.

According to the RR Database, same situation with Stafford Twp. (Ocean County) Police 1 and 2, both analog and digital, as is indicated under the "Stafford" header.

This is a first, I've never heard of analog and P25 on the same frequency (snip)
It is possible, just not at the same time. Selecting "Mixed Mode" in programming lets you listen to both, but you have to pick whether you're transmitting in digital or analog. It is possible for one radio to be in analog and the other to be in digital and be talking back and forth to each other along with the dispatcher hearing both of them. It's even possible for one unit to be in coded digital, another to be in clear digital, and a third to be in analog and all talk to each other seamlessly if they all have the right crypto key loaded.

Got nothing more on the thread, so I'll back away slowly...

kb2unk

Hello all,

Those digital transmissions are going on right now on Lacey PD Channel 2 !!!

I just also signed in to see this post ands thanks all for writing in and I will reply more a little later this evening. Sorry for the delay and work had me busy all week so far.

kb2unk

Hi all,

A big thank you to all of you who posted back to me, especially DJ88 for all of you great information! I'm still a little confused by all of this new digital stuff, but I am learning! Thanks to all for helping and also I do apologize for the delay in getting back to you all - work since last weekend has certainly kept me away from my hobbies in recent times. I did hear earlier tonight, those digital sounds again and here in Lacey they were a full bars S-10 Signal. Currently I don't hear them, but I will keep listening and if anyone figures out what they are, please let us know. Thanks again everyone!

Devilz311

Hello all,

Those digital transmissions are going on right now on Lacey PD Channel 2 !!!

I just also signed in to see this post ands thanks all for writing in and I will reply more a little later this evening. Sorry for the delay and work had me busy all week so far.

I was going to post this but I forgot about it by the time I got home. Listening on an XTS2500, I saw a few two-digit ID's (badge #) as well as a 6-digit ID, which was probably a base radio.

kb2unk

Hi Devilz311,

Cool !!! Now we're getting somewhere and I am so happy to hear that I am not the only one who is hearing these recent digital transmissions !!! Please keep us updated and I will do the same on this topic for Lacey NJ !!!

kb2unk

Hello Fineshot,

I don't know if you're missing anything, but I / we did already know that the Freq, NAC/P25 info. was already in the RR DB, but it's now only in recent times that we are actually hearing digital traffic on it. I don't have my scanner setup for this digital stuff yet, so I can't tell you what has been said by I assume the Lacey PD, but that's why I opened this thread too, to get help in what is being said and/or how to setup my scanner to hear this stuff and to monitor the activity on this, etc... If you can chime in and add some good info to this, much appreciated!

fineshot1

ok - i guess i misunderstood.

if you have had the PL or DPL tone programed for that freq that would be why
it may have gone unnoticed.

that is actually one of the down sides to having a tone programed for a freq
is that if there is a band opening or something else is going on on that freq
with another tone or no tone you wont hear it.

anyway if they are just starting to fire up the digital capability on the freq
you will have fun listening to them work out all the bugs.

kb2unk

Hi Fineshot1,

No problem and glad to have you aboard on this post! The more ears and help, the better! Yes, I DO NOT have any Tones set in my scanner for this Lacey PD Ch.2, so I was just listening to this Freq. in the clear. I have not heard any digital transmissions since this weekend - so it does seem to me that for now - they are only on the air on weekends. I will let everyone know if and when I hear this digital transmission again. Anyone out there who is listening with a P25 mode, etc... having any luck listening and deciphering these?

DJ88

If you have the frequency programmed in your 796 without the DPL tone you should be able to hear voice for both the analog and digital transmissions. The 796 will automatically decode, or as you put it, decipher the digital voice. With that said, when they transmit in digital mode, are you able to understand what they're saying or are you just hearing "noise"?

kb2unk

Hi DJ88,

Da - why didn't I think of that! Tonight I programmed just this Lacey PD Ch. 2 Freq into my 796 with no tone set and I also heard some in-the-clear analog talking tonight too! I'm thinking to me - it sounds like detectives watching somebody, etc... and tonight like I said it is in the clear and analog. Although my 796 does show a DCS 664 on the display. No digital sounds on the air tonight so far. I will continue to keep you posted and thanks again for all of your help!

DJ88

You say the DCS 664 is showing on the display. I have a 785D which is pretty much identical to the 796D, except that the 796 handles P25 (9600 baud) trunk systems whereas the 785 does not. Other than that, I thought they were the same. With that said, the only time a tone for a frequency appears on the display is when the unit is in Tone Search, and then it flashes while the frequency is active. Other than that, it does not show on the display. Do you have the Tone Data option on the menu set to OFF for that frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.