Lack of SDS100 & SDS200 owners in Michigan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
If/when MPSCS goes phase II then I'll look into a 996P2 and/or a 325P2 or whatever equivalent models are out at the time, hopefully there will be equivalent models.

If you spend time near Oakland County, start looking at your options.

Sent using Tapatalk

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Has there been any change to the reported heat build up issue with the SDS100 or is that considered normal and ok now? How about the battery packs that were swelling up? Isolated incidents? It does seem all the negative talk that was going around has settled down considerably.

rivermersey

Premium Subscriber
I'm just outside Detroit; I own a SDS 100 and 200, this is because I am impressed with it's reception of Detroit Police (MPSCS), which no other scanner was capable of doing from my location (near Detroit Zoo). And Mr. Krokus is correct, Oakland County is on Open Sky except Southfield.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Has there been any change to the reported heat build up issue with the SDS100 or is that considered normal and ok now? How about the battery packs that were swelling up? Isolated incidents? It does seem all the negative talk that was going around has settled down considerably.

The reason I ask is not to stir up negativity, but because Bearcat Warehouse is advertising that they have a "New Version" of the SDS100. I wasn't aware there is a new version? Anyone know what's been changed in the new version? They also claim it's on sale, but isn't ($649) their price is the same as everyone else?
1562735201151.png

Uniden SDS100 Digital Police Scanner |Digital Police Scanner Radio

eaf1956

Feed Provider

Hit_Factor

It's always been normal. This is the origin of the waffle maker jokes.

LiPo packs occasionally swell, read up on how to maintain them. As far as I can tell this was a single incident as it related to the SDS100.

Negative talk? There have been overwhelming accolades for the SDS model line.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Dollars to doughnuts it will be encrypted.

Good chance, but we can hope smarter heads prevail. (I was rather surprised that they will be joining MPSCS, instead of the predicted autonomous P25.)

... Oakland County is on Open Sky except Southfield.

But the announcement was made, that they are going to be join MPSCS, as the first phase 2 user.

Sent using Tapatalk

smithken

Premium Subscriber
If you spend time near Oakland County, start looking at your options.

Sent using Tapatalk

I live within a few miles of Oakland County but I've never been interested in listening to anything in Oakland County.

scanmanmi

I would love one but they just cost too much. They keep adding bells, whistles, wifi, gps, etc so they can jack the price up instead of just making a great plain scanner.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
They keep adding bells, whistles, wifi, gps, etc so they can jack the price up

Actually, they keep adding those features because users are constantly demanding them to be added.

instead of just making a great plain scanner.

If the radio systems that we want to monitor were still plain and simple, then the scanners could still be plain and simple.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I would love one but they just cost too much. They keep adding bells, whistles, wifi, gps, etc so they can jack the price up instead of just making a great plain scanner.
You say you "would love one" but apparently you don't want to pay for the R&D that allows the newer units to pick up the more sophisticated signals filling the air.

I would love the simplicity of a crystal scanner but it ain't gonna happen. Not only do they not make the radios anymore, they don't make the crystals, either.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Too much R&D and Gizmos. Everybody loves the Unication but it's not a scanner.
Because they haven't put enough R&D into it to make it a scanner.

I love my Tecsun radio, too, but, it's not a scanner either.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
And you two guys, KK4JUG, eaf1956 didnt stop by my place while in Bay City? What a loss for you all haha.

Staying on topic, I dont have any SDS's since we're not simulcast here and simulcasts of midland, saginaw, genesee counties come in good on the 396XT, 996P2.
LTR finder would be useful though!

Status
Not open for further replies.