Lack of SDS100 & SDS200 owners in Michigan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I not seeing too many people that own the SDS100 or SDS200 SDR scanners in Michigan. There doesn't even appear to be much interest in them. Anyone know why that is? Is it safe to assume the current batch of SDS200's have had the hum issue resolved? I have a good buddy that swears Unication is the best choice, but it's lacking some "scanner" features I still really want.

I'm content with my BCT15X, BCD325P2, BCD996P2's, BCD536HP but getting bored and anxious to play with something new and tempted to order a SDS200.

Hit_Factor

OK. I only saw one question in your post.

I'm from Michigan, I have two SDS100s and no need for a SDS200. It's not a lack of interest on my part.

From what I have read it appears that the hum is fixed, but there may be some who don't understand ground loop mitigation and are still complaining. The SDS100 is a clear solution to hum.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I not seeing too many people that own the SDS100 or SDS200 SDR scanners in Michigan. There doesn't even appear to be much interest in them. Anyone know why that is? Is it safe to assume the current batch of SDS200's have had the hum issue resolved? I have a good buddy that swears Unication is the best choice, but it's lacking some "scanner" features I still really want.

I'm content with my BCT15X, BCD325P2, BCD996P2's, BCD536HP but getting bored and anxious to play with something new and tempted to order a SDS200.
Though not a resident, I spend a lot of time in Michigan. The SDS100 is the way to go for me. Having said that, simulcast isn't much of a problem there and the 436 also ranks high on the list.

diskmonger

I picked up an SDS-200 a couple weeks ago, I'm in SE Michigan. Traditionally I have owned GRE and Whistler scanners, never really cared for the Uniden style of programming. I live in a county that uses simulcast towers, so far it seems to be working pretty good. I'm not exactly excited about giving Uniden business due to their support rep's smug attitude on this site, but with Whistler cancelling their latest line of new radio there really wasn't a great choice.

I've also owned Unication pagers, they worked great too, but suffered from battery and firmware issues (at least when I had mine).

I own an SDS200 and I am from Michigan. Of course now I am out exploring America so it is in storage for the time being.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I picked up an SDS-200 a couple weeks ago, I'm in SE Michigan. Traditionally I have owned GRE and Whistler scanners, never really cared for the Uniden style of programming. I live in a county that uses simulcast towers, so far it seems to be working pretty good. I'm not exactly excited about giving Uniden business due to their support rep's smug attitude on this site, but with Whistler cancelling their latest line of new radio there really wasn't a great choice.

I've also owned Unication pagers, they worked great too, but suffered from battery and firmware issues (at least when I had mine).

I can certainly appreciate an attitude on buying. I always try to buy as local as possible when I can. For instance, I usually shop at Home Depot because it's a Georgia corporation and I live in Georgia. I left the big chain coffee shop for a variety of reasons in favor of a little neighborhood shop. Anyway, for the last 10 or 12 years, I've used Uniden and, while programming can certainly be a challenge, the scanners get the job done. I still long for the days when you could just plug in a crystal and Voilà, there it was. Remember, it was Uniden that solved the simulcast problem for the consumer

The evolution in radio has necessitated a similar evolution (or maybe revolution) in scanners. There are things I still don't understand. Take Uniden's filters, for instance. I don't think anyone (including Uniden) really knows how they work and sometimes they don't work but sometimes they do. The added complications notwithstanding, I've manged to figure out the programming of the 436 and SDS100 and if I can do it, anyone ca.... Well, you know.

And the Uniden rep's smug attitude? Well, remember, he's a company guy. He has to exude confidence in his company and its products. Personally, I think the confidence is justified.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
OK. I only saw one question in your post.

I'm from Michigan, I have two SDS100s and no need for a SDS200. It's not a lack of interest on my part.

From what I have read it appears that the hum is fixed, but there may be some who don't understand ground loop mitigation and are still complaining. The SDS100 is a clear solution to hum.

I should have been clearer with my question, just woke up from a long nap when I posted that. I'm looking for feedback from people in Michigan especially who travel in and around Michigan. Although all my current scanners perform excellent with Macomb Counties Simulcast system here at home, they're not so good in the car. Maybe the SDS100 is the way to go as the SDS200 would be a little big in a vehicle.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, keep them coming. Anyone using a SDS100 around Mackinaw & St. Ignace?

Joe_Blough

I can certainly appreciate an attitude on buying. I always try to buy as local as possible when I can. For instance, I usually shop at Home Depot because it's a Georgia corporation and I live in Georgia.

Did you know you can buy and SDS100 or SDS200 from Home Depot? Do a search for it on their website. Not in store but they will have it delivered to your or shipped to store for pick up.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Did you know you can buy and SDS100 or SDS200 from Home Depot? Do a search for it on their website. Not in store but they will have it delivered to your or shipped to store for pick up.

That's interesting. As I recall they have a good return policy as well. Thanks for posting!

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Traveled into Michigan a few times...436Hp was very problematic, SDS 100 is night and day difference. SDS 200 stays put, but for any simulcast systems, SDS series is the sure bet.

a29zuk

I waited to purchase one because of rumors that my county would encrypt. Unfortunately they went that route a little over a month ago. The 325P2 worked really well on the simulcasts even when I was mobile. The 396T not so well.

The 325P2 and 396T work well when I go on vacation up north, outside of simulcast haven.

No new scanners in the near future unless I move.

Jim

smithken

Premium Subscriber
I have a 536 and I just can't wrap my head around the operation of the thing, how to change systems or departments or whatever Uniden calls them, so it just sits and collects dust. I also have a 996T and a 396XT, both of which I am comfortable with, and they work great for MPSCS and Skywarn, they even work great on Wayne County's simulcast system. If/when MPSCS goes phase II then I'll look into a 996P2 and/or a 325P2 or whatever equivalent models are out at the time, hopefully there will be equivalent models.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I just returned from BAY City, MI where my SDS 100 worked fine on the BAY City system and the Saginaw simulcast

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I visit relatives in Bay City several times a year & mine also works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.