LACo to update CWIRS to P25 standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Los Angeles County ISD department is proceeding with plans to update the near 3 decade old trunked Countywide Integrated Radio System (CWIRS).

The update of the current EDACS system being driven by a host of issues including ongoing support difficulties due age and end of life for the existing hardware plus eventual need to rebrand to meet FCC mandate.

The bulk of the projects hardware will be funded by Sprint-Nextel as part of its rebranding agreement with the FCC.

Projected time line is:
Nov 2011 - RFI process to evaluate the radio industry vendor community’s suggestions to reband CWIRS in an optimum manner.
Jan 2012 - Obtain Board of Supervisors approval to proceed with the CWIRS P-25 upgrade and rebanding project.
Apr 2012 - Select a vendor to perform CWIRS upgrade
May 2012 - Negotiating the agreement(s) with Sprint Nextel and selected Vendor
Sep 2012 - Site Preparation for “parallel” operation
Jun 2013 - Reprogram/retune/replace subscriber equipment
Aug 2013 - Project complete.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Yes as part of the national 800Mhz spectrum reconfiguration, Nextel/Sprint are paying billions around to country on relocation and equipment cost for incumbent 800 band users.

While much of the nation has rebranded already, regions bordering Mexico have been delayed as the US government has not been able to finalize frequency coordination.

You can learn more about it here
Band Reconfiguration Overview

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
I guess I missed it, however following review of RFI information, in late December the Board of Supervisors authorized ISD folks to proceed with plans to seek agreement from incumbent vendor Harris along with negotiating accord with Sprint-Nextel for payment and settlement agreement for P25 system upgrade and eventual future system rebranding as mandated by the FCC.

2wayfreq

So,
The vendor may or may not be Harris? I'm not familiar with the term "re-brand", is it "Re-Band"? If it's re-banding are they re-banding to 851-853 or going 700Mhz?

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Hope is to go with incumbent vendor Harris based on the submitted RFI responses. County must negotiate a 3-way agreement with Harris-Nextel-FCC for approval and funding to move forward.

Its re-BANDing, per the FCC reconfiguration guidelines. See link in reply 3 for further.

dgower

Premium Subscriber
Check the LA-RICS meeting minutes when they're posted for a LOT more info on this and STARS.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
I saw projected breakdown for the future P25 upgrade.

Plans call for a 3-sub system network.

20 frequency - Countywide system
10 frequency - LA Basin system (2 more frequencies than current)
4 frequency - Catalina Island system

No mention of the current Chatsworth, Agoura, San Dimas or Lancaster standalone sites. I suppose they will all get rolled into the Countywide or Basin systems.

=

karldotcom

I was searching the bands with Unitrunker, and Site 10 popped up with 867.5875 as the control channel. I know this is listed as the Agoura cell, but being near Griffith Park, it sounds closer.

Is it broadcasting from Verdugo Peak or Downtown LA as listed on the license for that frequency?

It lists 4 LCNs.

Status
Not open for further replies.