LACoFD Narrowbading - April 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
April's fools or not, LACoFD plans to changeover to narrowbanding which includes some frequency naming and use changes on Sunday April 1st, 2012.

The Db already list some of the planned post narrowbanding configuration changes based on submittals, however if others become aware of any additional changes, kindly submit them.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Does this mean LA County Fire is finally going to build a proper simulcast/receiver voting system, and the horrendous multipath on Blue 8 will finally go away? :)

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Actually I wonder when they say "digital simulcast" on Blue 8 if they mean P25.

About 2 years ago I saw a note the county wanted to upgrade a UHF Blue frequency to P25 standards as part of a proposed technology grant.

SCPD

QRT
How will these changes affect somebody with a plain old RadioShack Pro-95?

You should not have any trouble for now, with one exception. You will notice a drop in volume on those frequencies transmitted in a narrower width. Those of us who have been monitoring federal agencies since 2005, when those agencies began transmitting in narrow band, have been living with the difference between a 12.5 kHz signal and a 25 MHz signal. You have to turn up the volume on the narrow federal signal to hear it and when a wider signal, such as a CHP transmissionl is received you jump out of your chair from the blast. The volume difference can be that pronounced. The newer scanners have an option to program an audio boost for the narrow band frequencies allowing the use of one volume setting for both narrow and wide signals.

The long term problem with older scanners will be when frequencies at a 12.5 kHz spacing are used. The older scanners receive 25 kHz of bandwidth per channel and soon that space will include two allocated frequencies. If a 12.5 kHz frequency immediately adjacent to one you are trying to listen to transmits your receiver will sound similar to the sound of two radios transmitting on the same frequency. If those 12.5 kHz frequencies adjacent to the frequency you want to receive are not licensed and used then it should not be a problem, but when they are you will find your scanner somewhat useless.

When I first began listening to land mobile radio in the late 60's my dial tuned Radio Shack "Patrolman" potable could only narrow its reception range to about 100 kHz, which meant I was receiving many channels at the same time. I didn't have much choice as I didn't have the money to purchase a crystal scanner. I spent much of my time listening to squeals that made me want to throw the radio out the window.

The PSR-600's and a 500 I own can already be tuned to receive at a 6.25 kHz width, which is already the spacing on the 700 MHz band. I've purchased over 20 scanners since the late 60's to keep up with new developments in radio technology. If you're going to play you have to pay!

hpycmpr

I'm assuming that with LA Co's narrow banding on April 1 that all other fire agencies in LA Co will also change at that time - true? Otherwise would trash interoperability.
With the federal agencies and CalFire converted who's left among fire agencies in So Cal to convert?

Steve

Eng74

I'm assuming that with LA Co's narrow banding on April 1 that all other fire agencies in LA Co will also change at that time - true? Otherwise would trash interoperability.
With the federal agencies and CalFire converted who's left among fire agencies in So Cal to convert?

Steve

LACoFD is one of the last to narrow band. Kern's was done a few years ago. Last year the State White channels now called V Fire were done.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
LACoFD is one of the last to narrow band. Kern's was done a few years ago. Last year the State White channels now called V Fire were done.

... all except WHITE 1, which will remain wide until December of this year.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Just searched my notes and found that it was in May 2011, the ISD folks did make a suggestion to explore P25 Simulcast on Blue frequencies as a countywide solution.
There apparently was a grant opportunity which could be used to convert a single dispatch or command frequency pair as a technology incubator trial.
ISD stated it would likely take them 1-year to accomplish the hardware and site upgrades once such project was green-lighted.

So sound like Blue-8 might indeed become P25 now based on the link in Reply 2..... neat :)

Last edited:

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Don't forget, narrowbanding is this weekend with reassignment of some channel planned as part of the move.

hpycmpr

Any info on those reassignments other than what was stated in the above Fire letter to the Board?

My latest info is that the Sheriff's Dept isn't ready to narrow band yet. Probably not until LA-RICS comes on line, therefore a waiver.

Steve

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Yes look in the Db. VHF post narrow band configuration have been posted for several months now.

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
There is an App for LACoFD Rebanding

The app is called TMAC 11... it is free in the app store.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Now that the VHF narrow banding has occurred, if anyone has any updates - particularly the per Battalion frequency pairings, please submit them.

Like to remove the now old information out of the Db.

bcorbin

Premium Subscriber
V-9 (Primary), V-10 (Secondary) in use in Bat 6 for the Agua Dulce fire this afternoon...

Now that the VHF narrow banding has occurred, if anyone has any updates - particularly the per Battalion frequency pairings, please submit them.

Like to remove the now old information out of the Db.

Status
Not open for further replies.