• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Ladder 49

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nec208

Ladder 49 is a 2004 drama film about firefighters. It was directed by Jay Russell, and it celebrates the firefighting profession.

The soundtrack is by William Ross.
I did not like that film too much drama and not enough firefighting .The film Backdraft was much better.

Here is some fire films.

15 Minutes (2001)
9/11 (TV 2002)
A Dangerous Summer (2001)
Ablaze (2000)
Always (1989)
Answering The Call: Ground Zero's Volunteers (TV 2006)
Backdraft (1991)
The Bells Go Down (1943)
Broken Vessels (1999)
Brotherhood: Life in the FDNY (2005)
City on Fire (1979)
Collateral Damage (2002)
The Convention (TV 1978)
Emergency! (TV 1972)
Emergency: Survival on Charter #220 (TV 1978)
Fire Alarm (1935)
Fire Brigade (1926)
Fire on Kelly Mountain (TV 1973)
Fire Wars (TV 2002)
Fire, Trapped on the 37th Floor (TV 1991)
Firefight (2003)
Firefighter (TV 1986)
Firehouse (1997)
Firehouse Dog (2007)
The Fireman (1916)
Fires of Kuwait (1992)
Fires Were Started (1943)
Firestorm (1998)
Flash Fire (1993)
Frequency (2000)
The Garage (1919)
Greatest Rescues Of Emergency! (TV 1978)
The Guys (2002)
Heart of Fire (TV 1997)
Heaven's Fire (TV 1999)
Hellfighters (1968)
Heroes of the Flames (1931)
Holy Joe (1999)
I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry (2007)
In Old Chicago (1937)
In the Line of Duty: Smoke Jumpers (????)
Inferno (1998)
Inferno (2001)
Into the Fire (TV 2005)
Ladder 49 (2004)
Lifeline (1997, China)
London's Burning: The Movie (TV 1986)
Mickey's Fire Brigade (1935)
Most Deadly Passage (TV 1978)
New York's Bravest - A Firefighting Odyssey (2005)
Point of Origin (TV 2002)
Red Skies of Montana (1952)
Roxanne (1987)
San Francisco (1936)
Smoke Jumpers (1996)
The Steel Inferno (TV 1978)
Superfire (TV 2002)
The Towering Inferno (1974)
Trapped in a Forest Fire (1913)
Trespass (1992)
The Triangle Factory Fire Scandal (1979)
Turk 182 (1985)
Turn Out of the Cardiff Fire Brigade (1924)
Twin Towers (2002)
Where's That Fire? (1940)
World Trade Center (2006)
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_firefighting_films"

Here is what Baltimore firefighting have to deal with .

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RJBXtO9tawY&feature=related
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sl-mkK-Xpls&feature=related

I would like film crew to show what it really is like ,than some hollywood spin.

Massive fire.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4FkYRC4Qg2A&feature=related

Why does hollywood have to put in all that drama ?And why make movies like 911?

After people looks at those films they are not going to get into being firefighting at all.The films should be pro- firefighting with out the hollywood spin.

Last edited:

SCPD

i agree but disagree. while i think ladder 49 was a good portrayal of firefighters. The whole drama thing is so people who are not firefighters or are not in emergency services can look into their lives. you really dont ever know if your gonna come out of a burning building or go back home again, while this thought never really crosses ones mind until they are in a situation, who knows, but the portrayal of jack morrison in ladder 49 was good, it showed that even through deaths of fellow FF's, family problems or personal thoughts, a FF will never think about death, even while staring it right in the face. In the end for FF's all that matters when that alarm goes off is to save life and property.

Jay911

Ladder 49 is a drama that happens to involve firefighters. It's not a firefighting movie. It's about the bonds of family and friendship. That's palpably obvious in the climactic scene. It could have just as easily been about police officers or coal miners or anyone else.

N

nec208

I'm just saying if they show that drama than people will get scared and not what to get into that line of work.

They should be pro firefighting .

N

nec208

Tfitzmaurice89 said:
I saw your list... and Ablaze isnt anywhere near a fire movie... yet how incorrect it is. I dont recomend it at all!

I only seen 2 or 3 movies so I don't know.The movie Backdraft was pretty good.Still drama .

car2back

My fav is the John Wayne one where he fights oil well fires... Hellfighter is the name of it I think

Ladder 49 make people not want to be a firefighter?
I think it did quite the opposite.
After this movie was out the number of balt. city applicants were substantially higher.

And what kind of movie would you want?
One where the crew is constantly running calls, the majority of them being BS calls.

OR

A slow station where you do housework all day and then watch T.V.

That would drive people away who have no idea what firefighting is about.
Ladder 49 makes it so every call is full of glory and a chance to be a hero. Great for the theater but no so true in real life.
Cause in actuality it's the little things we do that makes our job so important to the public.

N

nec208

And what kind of movie would you want?
One where the crew is constantly running calls, the majority of them being BS calls.

OR

A slow station where you do housework all day and then watch T.V.
Its not always going to fire calls to save people .Going to EMS calls,MVA calls and rescue calls.

And I was washing a TLC program that was showing in 5 minutes a room can go from nothing to fully involved:eek: The concept of being rescued in fire needs to change .People must learn fire prevention and learn how to get out of a house fire.And why homes are built with windows you cannot get out of is beyonce me.And its mostly the smoke that kills people and not the fire.

But some times 2 or 3 ways out of a house on fire is not practical.In my house there is only one way out and you cannot jump out the window.

Than there are stupid calls like smoking in bed,cooking and leaving the room or house,a portable heater on and leaving the room,lights on/ fan on and not in the room.Too much hook to one electrical outlet,extension cords,broken wires, stuff blocking the furnace, candles and stuff like this.

nec208 said:
Its not always going to fire calls to save people .Going to EMS calls,MVA calls and rescue calls.

And I was washing a TLC program that was showing in 5 minutes a room can go from nothing to fully involved:eek: The concept of being rescued in fire needs to change .People must learn fire prevention and learn how to get out of a house fire.And why homes are built with windows you cannot get out of is beyonce me.And its mostly the smoke that kills people and not the fire.

But some times 2 or 3 ways out of a house on fire is not practical.In my house there is only one way out and you cannot jump out the window.

Than there are stupid calls like smoking in bed,cooking and leaving the room or house,a portable heater on and leaving the room,lights on/ fan on and not in the room.Too much hook to one electrical outlet,extension cords,broken wires, stuff blocking the furnace, candles and stuff like this.
Fire prevention is extremely important and good career and volunteer stations go out in the public and teach kids and adults how to prevent and survive from fires.

However the movie industry is about making money. Not many people are going to go see a movie about fire prevention.
Fire movies have gotten somewhat better over the years.
But, how often do you think the average person watches fires and engine runs on youtube?
I know a bunch of people but that's because I'm a firefighter and allot of my friends I hang out with are firefighters.

N

nec208

Dam scary calls Engine 8 going on!! Just read the call reports at bcfd8x10.

http://www.bcfd8x10.com/index.htm
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uG4QUYpVKpg&feature=related

A fire briefly rekindled but was suppressed by South St. Paul firefighters Thursday afternoon in the remains of a chemical plant that was gutted a day earlier, officials said.

Authorities had received no reports of people harmed by the explosive fire that destroyed the Epoxical Inc. plant Wednesday. But the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) was still monitoring the air and taking samples from the nearby Mississippi River, which received runoff from fire hoses.

The towering fire generated thick black smoke and toxic fumes that led to the evacuation of more than 1,500 workers from area businesses. Some schools delayed students from walking home and canceled sporting events. Businesses were allowed to reopen Thursday morning.

The fire's cause is still unknown, said John Ehret, chief of the West St. Paul Fire Department, which assisted and is merging with its South St. Paul counterpart.

"At this time, there is no reason to believe anything other than [an] accidental [cause] has taken place," Ehret said. He said fire investigators are interviewing employees to try to discover a cause and were waiting for a structural engineer to declare the charred hull, which had lost its roof, was safe to enter.

"We are just fortunate that nobody got hurt. The environmental stuff, we can manage that," said Jason Moran, MPCA incident commander.

The St. Paul Fire Department sent a hazardous materials team to the scene Wednesday to test the air for toxicity. The team detected nothing or negligible levels, said Mike Hogan, a St. Paul deputy fire chief.

Workers from the state Occupational Safety and Health Agency on Thursday talked company managers and employees. "We opened our investigation this morning," said OSHA spokesman James Honerman. "We are trying see what events led up to fire."

State OSHA records show Epoxical, which makes adhesives and other products, was cited in early 2003 for not having an adequate emergency response plan. It was directed to develop a plan that included evacuation routes and procedures.

The company also was cited at that time for not having a respiratory protection program for employees and for not properly training them to deal with a spill in their plant, where thousands of gallons of flammable, hazardous chemicals were mixed and stored.

Honerman noted the company quickly trained its employees, corrected the problems and paid a reduced fine of $840 by May 2003.

Fire Chief Ehret said Epoxical's plant manager did an excellent job of getting the 23 workers safely out of the burning plant and making sure all were accounted for so firefighters didn't need to enter the dangerous building to look for workers.

On Wednesday, the South St. Paul schools superintendent expressed alarm that police didn't notify schools about the fire. Police Chief Mike Messerich said that was because no schools were in the path of the smoke plume. However, he agreed the schools should have been called.

Officials said area businesses whose buildings or vehicles had soot on them can contact Epoxical to get the names of contractors to test and remove the soot.

Dave Hoeffel, whose family owns the business, estimated about $2 million in damage was done to the building, plus the loss of its contents.

Epoxical has a temporary office a block from its burned-out building. Hoeffel said the family is assessing how to get the business going again.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk7IU2QGka0&feature=related

And other reason not to have schools by factories.

Fire prevention is extremely important and good career and volunteer stations go out in the public and teach kids and adults how to prevent and survive from fires

And the only way that is going to happen is going to schools and teaching adults ,but than there are still going to be stupid people who smoke in bed or go out the house with the pot on the stove.

The Overall Fire Picture - 2006
There were 3,245 civilians that lost their lives as the result of fire.
There were 16,400 civilian injuries that occurred as the result of fire.
There were 106 firefighters killed while on duty.
Fire killed more Americans than all natural disasters combined.
81 percent of all civilian fire deaths occurred in residences.
1.6 million fires were reported. Many others went unreported, causing additional injuries and property loss.
Direct property loss due to fires was estimated at $11.3 billion.
An estimated 31,000 intentionally set structure fires resulted in 305 civilian deaths.
Intentionally set structure fires resulted in an estimated $755 million in property damage

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/statistics/quickstats/index.shtm

N

nec208

More stupid people who are blocking fire trucks going to the call.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=X2QSKnev0mY&feature=related

the name and address of the person who was in charge of the vehicle ... vehicles blocking emergency or service roads, or parked in a way that
And I can find many reports like this above.Just do a google search and you get many hits.Some states you could go to jail.

This just proves we need more education in are school system..

Last edited:
Which is all correct, but I thought we were talking about movies and firefighting?

I may not have many years on the department but I have seen my fair share of dumb things already, and I'm sure I will see plenty more to come.

The fire department nor any one else will ever 100 percent stop people from making careless errors and causing fires.
All we can do is develop better technology, fire ground operations and continue to educate the public as best and as often as we can.

wogggieee

If i remember correctly Backdraft had fewer firefighting scenes and was more about arson investigation. Either way, both are good movies. But they are just that, movies. They are in the drama category, not documentaries. They should be taken for what they are, and that is to entertain. If you want to be educated about the fire service find a documentary. But i wouldn't expect that out of a fictional drama coming out of Hollywood intended for major theatrical release. They're out to make money, they need to make it entertaining for most people to watch so they can make money.

Status
Not open for further replies.