Lafayette 800 MHz Motorola Trunked System

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
If it goes p25 new Sysid will be on p25. Id look for LWIN id if it changes.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

Tim-B

Well, something has definitely changed but I don't think it will be a mixed analog/P25 system. Here is what I mean. In the past when they still used this system for all agencies and after rebanding had taken place I had the custom rebanding table programmed into each scanner. Yesterday I tried to program this system back into three scanners and like I did in the past I programmed them as custom type ii with the rebanding table. Two of the scanners just sat there and did not find the control channel which was on 859.7375. These were the same settings that worked just fine in the past. So I changed the system type to P25 auto which is what you would use for a mixed analog/digital system and they still would not find the control channel. I changed the system type again to Moto Type II without the custom table and bingo, they found the control channel and so far they do not appear to be missing any transmissions. Even thought there is not much activity on this system it does appear to be cycling through many different frequencies as it trunks and it is not missing any replies so maybe the different frequencies they are using don't require the rebanding table anymore. The highest frequency is 859.9625 and they go down from there.

Tim-B

Come on now. There are almost 1,200 views on this thread so far. Somebody out there reading this knows something or you know someone you can ask. Tell us what is going on. Are they simply replacing old equipment to keep the system running as a backup or are they planning to use it again? Ask around and find out or spill your guts if you know.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
lemme fire up unitrunker

going out of town for a few, but I'll try to remember to fire up unitrunker on the system and see what I get

Tim-B

Thanks. Any information would be appreciated. I used to work for the SO then the PD but that was 24 years ago. Most of the people I knew from back then who were in positions to know what is going on are either retired, have moved on to other things, or are now dead.

SOUTH300

Here is some information:

The LCG 800 system is not being upgraded to P25. It is being used primarily by LUS for primary communications until it can no longer be used. The other people you hear on Fleet 4 are some Deputies that have old Maxtracs in their units that they use for Car to Car comms while they still can.

The old 800 system is also still used as a backup for So/Fire/PD when they have problems with the consoles on 700. (They refuse to use the backup control stations for some reason on 700). With parts being obsolete, there is a plan to completely decommission the system somewhere in the near future. In addition, the tower that the antennas are on, is scheduled to be torn down, so they may use this as the opportunity to finally abandon the system. As soon as LUS can finally get all P25 radios, I am sure they will make the switch to LWIN.

Tim-B

Okay, thanks, now I can stop wondering.

If they are tearing down that tower then what about the one right next to it which houses the "Scott" repeater for LWIN? Will that one remain up?

And how is that encryption working out for them? Does it work well or do you hear a lot of 10-9, 10-9, 10-9?

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Udate to Lafayette 800

Ok the usual traffic has been LUS. That is still present. The data others were hearing is on the
channel labeled LFD Moscad. That has never really gone away.

Now the Sheriff. I've been hearing what sounds like jail traffic on 4F, 4G and possibly 4H.
Driving around yesterday I can still here the jail/mastercontrol active on 16rp. I'll need to do some listening
to figure out if there is some type of simulcasting/repeating going on, or 4 actual channels.

The deputies riding around chatting, they were on the transportation channel on fleet 4. I haven't heard them
since long after the new sheriff was elected.

Tim-B

That's pretty much the same thing I am hearing. I believe that there is only one repeater tower for this system. It is one of the two tall towers right next to each other off Ole Colony Rd. between Ambassador Caffery and Westgate Rd. The antennas for this system are at about the 600 foot AGL mark on the tower and because of this height above the ground they likely need only that one tower. I remember being able to hear this system as far away as Jennings with only a handheld scanner with a 1/4 wave antenna inside the car. The other tower next to that one has the antennas for the Scott repeater site for LWIN. If the tower for the lafeyette system is scheduled to be dismantled does anyone know the plans for the other tower with the antennas for LWIN site 4-017?

Tim-B

Okay, here we go again. Something is definitely going on with this system. I have been hearing numerous radio checks done on one radio then another then another on the following channels:

4-A - The SO's main dispatch channel on that system
1-E - Metro Narcotic's channel on that system
1-N - Lafayette Parish Civil Defense
and a few others but those are the main ones

Radio checks on multiple channels that haven't been used in years, new base radios installed at some places and new moblies in some vehicles, a new or upgraded controller, a new contract with a communications company to maintain this system. What does that all add up to?

Is the encryption not working out for them on LWIN? Are they having to say, "10-9, 10-9, 10-9" a little too often?

Tim-B

Yeah, they're radio checkin like there's no tomorrow. Now they are doing all the backup conventional repeater channels that are used when the trunked portion of the system goes down.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
If they are keeping it alive, that makes it an Kenwood system now since they are the only ones that will maintain SmartNet/SmartZone systems now. Motorola has written them off. It will still be listed as Motorola in our DB as we have not made the changes in the setup to switch all the legacy Moto systems to Kenwood naming. that in itself is going to be an headache, not to mention redoing them all in the wiki etc...

Being this is an Kenwood thang, I am really glad the slick talking shop sales folks didn't just PUSH an Encrypted NexEDGE on them lol.

Wondering if the locals will use it as backup, or the LWIN as backup? Also, I would expect them to use Encryption full time since they do on LWIN once they finish with mods and updates and repairs etc... If not, then they should drop the E on LWIN as it would be just stupid to run E on one, and ITC on other.

Tim-B

When you talked about changing them to Kenwood in the DB the picture I had in my head was a new scanner user trying to program and he says, "Hmm, let's see, system type, Kenwood, uhh, my scanner says Motorola, EDACS, LTR, DMR, but no choice for Kenwood, so how do I program this?"

But on a different note as they are testing the hell out of 12-RP I am hearing MDC-1200 chirps at the beginning of each transmission. Kind of annoying but is that any indication that it may stay as an unencrypted analog system?

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
As the system already has an SeureNet layer... All the users have encryption capabilities, and formerly only used E on the SN layer. The conventional backup repeaters do have the ability to go E, but I highly doubt they would, since those are literally SHTF backups. They would only see use if both LWIN, and the LCD go down. Now again, on the TRS side, ALL the new radios they have can do LWIN, and are strapped full time ADP on it. They also have the LCD TRS SecureNet layer full time ADP also. I would think about that. Also, I find it funny they don't upgrade to all digital use on ALL TGs on the LCD TRS, or just go ahead and go full P25 on the whole system. Makes me think the LCD TRS will be the backup to the LWIN, and then the conventional repeaters as SHTF backups for BOTH!

LCD Lafayette Communications District for the Lafayette Regional Government

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim-B

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

I remember the old securenet radios back in the late 80's. When listening in analog mode is sounded like an open squelch but higher pitched with a quick very short beep at the beginning.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Encrypting on analog sucks quality wise. But in digital is not bad.

Technoguy58

Just curious, When you mention a "fleet" are you referring to the old style Moto Type 1 fleet maps?? If so, I thought Moto did away with that designation and talkgroup scheme with the introduction of Moto type 2 systems. I remember seeing a list of the old fleetmap for Lafayette years ago. Are those old fleetmap talk groups still being used??

Technoguy58

P.S. Do I need to reprogram this system as an old type 1 system because I have not been hearing a lot of the traffic you are talking about. But then again, I have always programmed it as a type 2 system.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
It is pure type II smartnet

Status
Not open for further replies.