Lafayette FD Grant

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Meanwhile, Lafayette will receive $931,500 in one of 28 grants nationwide under a Homeland Security program to boost local fire and emergency staffing, Allard said. Lafayette plans to use the money to add three full-time firefighter positions next year to its current full-time force of four.

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
gcheno said:
I'm going to share that with the local fire chief, just to see his reaction.

That has to include some new apparatus, doesn't it?

As you will see the Denver Post said only staffing but have not seen a press release from the department yet.

Jim<

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
gcheno said:
I'm going to share that with the local fire chief, just to see his reaction.

That has to include some new apparatus, doesn't it?

...a weight room, sauna, satellite dish, and fancy new uniforms with real gold braid.
Political correctness at it's worst. Name one thing or person in Lafayette that's a "terrorist target" that requires almost a million for the fire dept to protect it.

RISC777

One thing of note to me was that they were one of 28 recipients from a group of 1,700 applicants.

Todd-NG

n0doz said:
...a weight room, sauna, satellite dish, and fancy new uniforms with real gold braid.
Political correctness at it's worst. Name one thing or person in Lafayette that's a "terrorist target" that requires almost a million for the fire dept to protect it.

Something to keep in mind is that this is a one time only grant of $931,500. It's not like they will be receiving this amount of money on an annual basis. I'm not sure what the average firefighter makes a year (I'm sure someone with more knowledge of this will let us know), but let's use $50,000 a year for an example. Add to that an additional 25% for a benefits package (Retirement plan, health insurance etc...) so with the addition of 3 new firefighters this totals $187,500 annually. The grant money is enough to cover them for almost 5 years. This gives them 5 years to work on getting the voters approval for a mill levy increase so that when the grant money runs out they can keep these new firefighters.

Are there any "terrorist targets" in Lafayette? Probably not, but remember the old saying: "Never put all your eggs in one basket". If we were to see an attack in Colorado it would most likely happen in Denver. Depending on the size of the attack they would more than likely require mutual aid from outside agencies. That aid could be a direct response to the scene or they could be used to cover calls that take place in other areas of the city.

Personally, I feel that if there is grant money available and Lafayette was able to secure some of it, more power to them. Remember that if they didn't get it someone else would have and most likely somewhere in another state. I would rather see that money in Colorado.;)

RISC777

Todd-NG said:
Something to keep in mind is that this is a one time only grant of $931,500. It's not like they will be receiving this amount of money on an annual basis.
The Broomfield paper stated the total amount of the grant was to be spread out or disbursed over a four year period. Anyone know of or read differently?

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
I had to think about this for a while.
Supporting a small-town fire department was never the purpose for HS grants. But every conceivable government entity pressured their congressman to get in on the action, so the whole thing has turned into a joke.
As far as Lafayette being one of 28 to get a grant out of 1700... that simply means another more-deserving location didn't have enough political suck to get a check.
Finally: mutual aid from Lafayette to Denver? Ah, OK. Sure. Anything's possible, I suppose. George Bush and Nancy Pelosi might get married, too.
Sorry, I've been living at the Colorado ground zero for five years, and I'm sick to death of the games played by the politicians on both sides with our very survival at stake.

Status
Not open for further replies.