Lafayette, IN PD Changing Talkgroup Descriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TippeTrunker2

Premium Subscriber
It seems there are new references to the Lafayette, IN Police Departments Talkgroups since the BMV Computer slowdown. The dispatchers and officers are no longer going to "North" or "South" for their radio traffic. Some of the new descriptions are as follows:
LPD-Dispatch TG-30896 = Channel 1,
LPD-Data TG-31056 = Ch. 2,
LPD-North TG-30960 = Ch. 3,
LPD-South TG-30992 = Ch. 4,
The next channel's I have not been able to confirm.
LPD-Ops TG-28848 or LPD-Special Ops TG-31248 may be Ch. 5, and
LPD-Car TG-30928 may be Ch. 6.
So far these are the only channel changes I have been hearing on a regular basis.

Go-24

Yes, night shift seems to use the #s more than other shifts do; they have been doing it for about a month or so now.

That's the way I have them too .... (confirmed)

CH-1 LPD-DISP
CH-2 LPD-DATA
CH-3 LPD-NORTH
CH-4 LPD-SOUTH
CH-5 LPD-OPS
CH-6 LPD-CAR

I haven't heard them refer to any of the others yet, but I imagine they have # values too.

They still do use the name values on all shifts - it seems to depend on which dispatcher is making calls.

Last edited:

bessiedawg

I think it may just be an officer safety measure. Using the number designation provides for quicker and clearer communications in an emergency. Directing officers to "go to channel 3 " in theory is a form of faster and clearer communication than using the talkgroup names. Probably doesn't make alot of difference, but doesn't hurt either.

Go-24

I heard the sheriffs department using #s for channels last evening; maybe it's something the entire county is going to.

TippeTrunker2

Premium Subscriber
I doubt they are getting ready to go or join SAFE-T. They already have a State Back-up Talkgroup (Analog) there. The SAFE-T tower is out of town to the North, and does not have the best signal in town. The Tippecanoe County System 1 recently activated their second site over on the West Lafayette side of town, and their Lafayette Tower on Cason St. is still up and running. There has been some Digital activity on the Tipp Co Sys 1 recently but mostly EMS I-calls and some Tipp Co Drug Task Force Talkgroups. I'm in favor of the idea of making it simple by giving everything a channel instead of a name. We'll keep listening and post as soon as anything big starts to happen.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Go-24 said:
Yes, night shift seems to use the #s more than other shifts do; they have been doing it for about a month or so now.

That's the way I have them too .... (confirmed)

CH-1 LPD-DISP
CH-2 LPD-DATA
CH-3 LPD-NORTH
CH-4 LPD-SOUTH
CH-5 LPD-OPS
CH-6 LPD-CAR

I haven't heard them refer to any of the others yet, but I imagine they have # values too.

They still do use the name values on all shifts - it seems to depend on which dispatcher is making calls.

So, did anyone submit this change to the database?

Go-24

I heard LPD-DISP (CH1) tell its officers to go to CH7 last night for a local mutual aid type call - the other department was TCSD and the channel was "TCSD-SD :: 28912" ... Found it odd that LPD would set the channels up like that ...

Oh and DaveIN, I havent submitted anything yet, still holding out for nailing em all down instead of submitting bits and pieces :)

TippeTrunker2

Premium Subscriber
REF: TG-28912, TCSD-SD
This would make sense. I did not hear any comments to CH-7, however Tippecanoe County Special Detail, (TCSD-SD) is used by all agencies when they have a mutual issue like the discovery of the missing Indiana Soldiers Home patient. County Fire, WL Fire, Co Sheriff, and others were all on the same TG. I'll keep my ears going for the CH-7 and let you know.
By the way, also started hearing the Tippecanoe Co Sheriffs Department start using their old Channel Numbers again. And for the first time in a long time, the reference to "Go to 4-Secure", then the TG 24 became active with "Organ Music" audio. I was not able to fine tune it with my 796.
Hmm, very interisting.:cool:
side-bar: Did you make it over to the Hamfest Sunday?

Go-24

Yes, I too have heard SD using #s - dont have record of any old listings, but have recently heard dispatch refer to TCSD-PATROL as CH6. Possibly TCSD-SD is CH7 ...

They had a local hamfest? I would presume over at the fairgrounds? I really need to find me an elmer ;)

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
TippeTrunker2 said:
Clip: TG 24 became active with "Organ Music" audio. I was not able to fine tune it with my 796.

Organ Music audio?? As in encrypted noise?

TippeTrunker2

Premium Subscriber
Dave,
Sorry for the long pause on replying.
When I heard the "Go to 4-Secure" on the TCSD TG, I set the 796D up for ID Search. "4-Secure" was an old reference we used to hear all the time when units would get on an unmonitorable channel to pass sensitive information. What I heard was TG 24 come up with garbeled audio. It was very much like trying to decode P25 with a weak signal. However,the signal strength was full bars, but I could not get enough time on the call to start tuning the audio decoding. It could have been Encrypted, except I did not get the ENC like I do when it is actually encryped. I do get good audio on the other Digital Talkgroups on this system, and my 796D has been real good at not letting the Encryped audio pass. I guess we just keep listening, and hope there is longer activity to see if it's just an adjustment to the audio settings. It took a while to get the Dist-14 audio to decode correctly at first, but now its just fine.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Try recoding it to the hard drive and then posting it so we can check it out. So, it was P25 or your not sure?

TippeTrunker2

Premium Subscriber
Dave,
I'm not real sure. It was fast and short. I'll set up for TG record this week end and see what I get. TIPPCo Sys 1 is Motorola Type II SmartZone, both Analog and Digital, so I'm assuming APCO-25 cai. All the i-calls in Digital on this system are comming through loud and clear. This is the first possible ENC I've heard.

Go-24

I have heard that same thing on the 996 on TG 24 without the "ENC" specification. At other times I have seen the "ENC" on TG 24 & TG 16 - those times it was a different sounding garble. Hard to describe it ;) youve got to hear it.

I have also occasionally heard the same type of sound on TG 160 and passed it off as being out of range or obstructed some how; because I normally pick up that TG very clear and have never seen it say "ENC".

I swear one time I heard the garble on the 996, but on the 396 it was coming across clear; but it went by pretty quick so I just sorta did a double take.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Last time I heard P25 on System 1 was when I was home visiting my parents during the tornado outbreak last spring. It was on a TEMA I-Call. Prior to that I had only heard a P25 I-Call between TEAS units at the Purdue football game. These talkgroups must be specially programmed because they do not match the current talkgroup format, unless they are from the original inventory of radios that were setup with two or three digit talkgroups.

Sound interesting, none the less. Could be a different type of encryption I guess. If it's analog it could be voice inversion, but I've never heard of that on a Trunked system.

Status
Not open for further replies.