Lafayette Receiver Model?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilligan

Database Admin
When I was just a little kid, my mom had a Lafayette receiver that picked up 30-50 MHz and had two crystal sockets. That radio has long since been busted and thrown away, but I am curious to see one these days. I've searched a lot on Lafayette and most of the searches yield amateur radio results, but this was a public service monitor. It may have gone up to 54 MHz possibly. It was about the size of a mobile radio, and was probably made for a vehicle, although it did have an AC plug. Anyone have a clue what model this radio might have been? Any ideas may bring back a little piece of my childhood interest in radio...this one started it all for me. Thanks.

Gilligan

Database Admin
It indeed did have a tunable dial with a yellow backlight behind the little slit in the panel. And the crystal sockets were inside with the switch on the front panel. I think it said "Tune X1 X2" or something....

pinetree

If I am correct the front was about 1 1/2 inches high and about 6 inches wide and about 8 inches deep if this is correct I have one. It may take a few days but Ill find it and take a picture of it.

Gilligan

Database Admin
pinetree said:
If I am correct the front was about 1 1/2 inches high and about 6 inches wide and about 8 inches deep if this is correct I have one. It may take a few days but Ill find it and take a picture of it.
This is much closer than the pictures. It was not like a tabletop radio but more of a mobile with A/C cord. It even had the screws for mounting in a car.

52to12

Receiver identified

Hi Gilligan! I believe the receiver you remember is a: Lafayette Micro Pro-50. (see my inquiry/thread from 4/9/06 )at the bottom of this forum. I am"out of town " at this time . I tried to tune /receive a VHF-lo-band frequency , could not receive any due to lack of low band in my area. The receiver worked fine (in NY) 6 years ago. I don't have any crystals for NCSHP to determine if the receiver still functions. Since it is of no use to me here in NC I would be willing to give it to you for the cost of shipping. I will be home again around 8/5. You can PM me or reply on this thread.

grem467

anyone know of one with a similar description, but had both low band and hi band on VHF? i have been looking for one for years.

same deal, had a vfo as well as 2 xtal settings

Thayne

I have one that does VHF Low, VHF high, and UHF. It has the Xtal sockets and a crystal filter that makes the tuning very selective when on. I will go look at the model# if you are interested. I think I bought it in about 1975 from Lafayette.

grem467

That would be most excellent, and if you can take a pic of it.. the one i had did not include UHF, but yours could possibly give me clues as to the model i had. I wish i still had it, but you know how that can be im sure.. lol

the vintage sounds about right as well, i had mine in the 80s, but it was much older than that.. had that '70s look to it

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Sams has a Photofact for the Pro-50 which is Chassis 24-0216WX. Set #860, Folder 9. Somehow my sets stopped at #858 and continued at #869. Date would have been Jan 1967.

Thayne

OK, I will take a pix of it by Friday, it looks like tomorrow will be a busy day.

I used to love listening to the (before cellular) mobile phones with it on about 452 mhz. The crystal filter let it separate the channels very well.

Gilligan

Database Admin
52to12 said:
Hi Gilligan! I believe the receiver you remember is a: Lafayette Micro Pro-50. (see my inquiry/thread from 4/9/06 )at the bottom of this forum. I am"out of town " at this time . I tried to tune /receive a VHF-lo-band frequency , could not receive any due to lack of low band in my area. The receiver worked fine (in NY) 6 years ago. I don't have any crystals for NCSHP to determine if the receiver still functions. Since it is of no use to me here in NC I would be willing to give it to you for the cost of shipping. I will be home again around 8/5. You can PM me or reply on this thread.
I sure would like to see what it looks like. Honestly, the use of low-band is practically nil anymore, but I think I'd pay for it just to have my first radio for reminiscing....nothing quite like the piece of equipment that started a life-long hobby.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Is this the one?

Last edited:

Gilligan

Database Admin
Looked at the picture. That's probably the closest I've seen yet, however I think the radio in the picture is actually a little older than the one I had. The tuning dial lit up and was pretty small, part of the dial -- like a lot of older cb radios that had 23 channels and a channel dial. I don't want to waste anyone's time on this any longer, so if anyone has a thought please post it, but don't go to any trouble please. Thanks. Gilligan

ronhl

Vintage Lafayette VHF low/hi radio

anyone know of one with a similar description, but had both low band and hi band on VHF? i have been looking for one for years.

same deal, had a vfo as well as 2 xtal settings

When I first got in the hobby bk in early '70s I bought the Lafayette PF-200A dual band radio. It had 2 antenna jacks, 1 for each tuner and 2x crystal positions for each tuner as well. The tuners were the lighted dial type. Just saw one on eBay! Brings bk a lot of memories..

Status
Not open for further replies.