LAFD Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

westli

While listening to the May Day activity in Downtown L.A. I heard LAFD (I think. Coulda been LACFD. I forgot to look at the scanner screen) reference a couple of "cycle teams". I assume those are EMTs on bicycles that can get through the crowds more easily. But I wonder if they could have been those motorcycle-mounted guys they were supposed to try out during the first closure of the 405 through Sepulveda Pass. Anybody know for sure?

I also heard references to a "gator team". Anybody know what those are? Guys/gals with sport drinks, maybe?

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Isn't there a large ATV called a Gator? Made by John Deere? Or Polaris? Or...?

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Yes Gator teams are on ATVs.

They are used regularly for large crowd events such as the marathon for example.

A "Gator" Team consist of two Paramedics operating a six-wheeled All Terrain Vehicle. The "Gator" is outfitted with Advanced Life Support tools, a stretcher, and other necessary emergency equipment.

=

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
"LAFD “gator” teams consist of two Paramedics operating a six-wheeled All Terrain Vehicle outfitted with Advanced Life Support tools, a “med bed” anchored to the vehicle providing a platform for patient care, and other crucial equipment. The agile response of both the “gator” and cycle teams, enables firefighters to bridge the gap between foot patrol and rescue ambulances to provide paramedics the opportunity to navigate crowds, circumvent traffic, and deliver critical care with greater ease."
http://lafd.blogspot.com/2007/03/la-marathon-brings-people-together.html

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
They did have motorcycle teams during the "Carmageddon 1" event a couple years ago when the 405 freeway closed. The motorcycles were used for rapid response to calls in the Mulholland area when traffic was expected to be heavy. I remember it was a pilot program, and I don't believe (but I could be wrong) that it was continued

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Does any SOCAL FD use a 6 wheeled ATV as a brush unit? (FDNY has a pair of them on Staten Island.)

Status
Not open for further replies.