LAFD's "OCD" Dispatch Center to move and get new Radio ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radio_Lady

According to several sources, including yahoogroups, LA City Fire Department's Dispatch Center, "OCD" (Operations Control Dispatch (Section)) will be moving into the city's new Emergency Operations Center this Tuesday morning, 2/28. The new facility will be called Metropolitan Fire Communications and is expected to be known on the radio as "Metro."

The existing OCD will become their back-up dispatch center, replacing the old and cramped Coldwater facility atop the Hollywood Hills.

Last edited:

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
I'm still wondering if the frequency line-up will be updated one of these days reflect that with the new redeployment plan rolled out last summer the city is split into only 2 divisions now instead of previous 3.

Radio_Lady

I'm still wondering if the frequency line-up will be updated one of these days reflect that with the new redeployment plan rolled out last summer the city is split into only 2 divisions now instead of previous 3.
What is the boundary between North and South Divisions - Mulholland Drive? Is North Division the old Division 3, and South Division a combination of Divisions 1 and 2, or is there more to it than that?

I was a little surprised to see the shooting/fire on Harvard Blvd the week before last getting Tacs 17 and 18 first, which would normally be Valley Tac frequencies, assuming everything else wasn't in use.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
No its much murkier than a simple boundary like Mulholland.

In reality the boundary runs mid city, kinda down Santa Monica, Wilshire and Venice Blvds with multiple zig-zags along the way to confuse.

For a breakdown of what stations fall into where, see the link in my thread from last summer after the announcement.
http://forums.radioreference.com/gr...reas-discussion/212739-lafd-realignments.html

I do also have a nice map, however I don't have a link for it.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Yep, "Metro" did a few radio checks early this a.m, and they've replaced "OCD" after 40 years.

Now they just have to unlearn the old name. :)

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

Radio_Lady

LAFD Report on opening of the new Metropolitan Fire Communications (MFC) facility

From "LAFD News & Information" which has some illustrations:

Los Angeles Fire Department's (LAFD) dispatch center, known for it's motto, "It all starts here", made a historic move today. During the early morning hours of February 28, 2012, 9-1-1 call taking and resource dispatching moved locations from the Operations Control Division (OCD) at City Hall East to the new Metropolitan Fire Communications (MFC) facility at 500 E. Temple Street.

Now that the the transition to MFC is complete, OCD has become the Department’s back-up dispatching facility and the radio call sign "OCD" is no longer operative. At one in the morning, the strategically planned five hour radio transfer was made. Now, all inbound and outbound radio transmissions will use the call sign, “Metro.” No other changes to radio terminology, resource dispatch algorithms, or operations will occur.

In addition, LAFD's Public Service Office (PSO) made the same geographical migration. Matt Spence, Brian Humphrey, and Erik Scott sincerely appreciate the patience of all during this exciting and elaborate transition, as they have had decreased availability at times. As for members of the media, the phone number for the PSO EPI-Center will remain the same, for the time being. We and look forward to better serving you from our new location.

Construction of the Metro Fire Communications facility which includes Fire Station 4 and the City’s Emergency Operations Center, began on January 19, 2006 as part of Prop “F” funding. Although the 120,000 square foot facility has been up and running for the past couple of years, the Metro Fire Communications sophisticated 9-1-1 telephone and dispatch equipment installation was just recently completed.

The move to the new Metro Fire Communications facility involves many City agencies, Vendors, and private contractors. Planning for the actual transition from City Hall East to the MFC has been in the works for the last several months, which includes the training of dispatchers and staff for familiarization of new state of the art equipment. As of February 29, 2012, the Coldwater back-up dispatch center will no longer be operational. The Department appreciates your interest and cooperation in this historic move.

Some have said that the common ending radio transmission, "OCD Clear", now takes on a new meaning.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Some concerns that since move into the new dispatch center station alerting has been having glitches forcing station to be on radio watch.

News story with video that includes shots of the new facility
EXCLUSIVE: Glitches in LAFD Alert System | NBC Los Angeles

=

In my 35+ years of being involved with the moving of radio facilities (dispatch and remote sites), I have yet to see a "perfect" move. Something comes up every time, even when all of the new circuits are tested in advance.

PaulNDaOC

Trouble continues with dispatching and station alerting.

Firefighters sleep as house in neighborhood burns, and 45 minute response delay on EMS calls.

Dispatch problems slow L.A. Fire Department responses to emergencies - latimes.com

=

In regards to missed alarms you would think that there should be a failsafe in the CAD that would catch that nobody went enroute.

I read in another post that stations were on radio stand-by for extended periods of times over a number of days due to signalling problems.

I really hope that these missed calls occurred before the problem was discovered and not after it. There is no acceptable excuse for it to happen again, even if it takes voice acknowledgements on all calls til it's fixed.

DPD1

It was easier to follow the old way. Seems like it's harder to know what tac they will be on now, unless you hear it given out... and it's also harder to follow with the added response channel. The Mulholland split was a lot more simple.

karldotcom

Well, the Valley lost resources, so they had to move the dividing line South Glad to see someone had the sense to bring the golf peg boards over from OCD....since they are using them.

DPD1

Seems like the valley is always getting the short end of the stick. You would think the city would have learned after the close call with all the secession proposals a while back. That was the only reason you saw improvements after that. But now it's back to being the redheaded stepchildren of Los Angeles. I noticed the local station here has had their trucks swapped out from the newest, to the oldest. They now are driving the old Seagraves.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
New CAD, station alerting.

The Mayors 2012-2013 budget proposal has added funding the LAFD.

Mayor proposes some $17mil in added funding to "to replace the Computer-Aided-Dispatch system, including automatic vehicle location and interoperability features". Also provide funding for an RFP and needs analysis and reauthorize funding to replace the Fire Station Alerting System(RedCom)."

A few more bones thrown at the LAFD budget include authorizing 6 additional 12-hour BLS ambulances to be staffed and one additional engine company located in West San Fernando. 9 EMS Captain positions would be restored also.
To catch up on vehicle replacements, added funding would cover purchase of 11 engines, 3 trucks, 21 ambulances and 20 support vehicles during the budget year.

All told, the LAFD gets about $36mil above 2011-2012 levels.

SCPD

QRT
The controversy about response times brought pressure on the mayor's office and council members and an increase in funding was inevitable. When I read the reallocation plan provided on a link on this thread I thought that the cuts would result in some severe consequences that could not be lived with.

In my opinion a city needs to provide excellent police and fire departments as well as street maintenance and solid waste/sewer service. Everything else is a lower priority, but the decisions for any city are extremely difficult in the current financial atmosphere.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
As part of the technology & CAD replacement, the budget also ask for replacement of 695 radios, and 195 vehicle mobile data computers.

Added details of proposed vehicle replacements for 2012-2013:
- Aerial ladder trucks (3)
- Triple Combination pumpers (11)
- Emergency command vehicles (10)
- Ambulances (21)
- Brush patrol vehicle (1)
- Utility service trucks (2)
- Non-emergency sedans (5)
- Pick-up trucks, Crew Cab (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.