Laird GPS Antenna w/ 536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyhetzel

The problem I see is you need a rs-232 end to plug into the uniden. This antenna probably has a sma connector on it which plugs into a normal gps unit...kind like the garmin set up. Why not just buy the uniden gps and be done with it. You can paint them with any color.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
That looks like just an antenna. You'd still need the receiver.

I used the Garmin 18x LVC. (LVC has the wires that you have to put a plug on.) You can also get the serial version that has a serial plug and 12v adapter.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm using the Uniden GPS device. The antenna portion sits on the dash of my vehicle and does a pretty good job.

Serial GPS Receiver for Scanner and Marine Products

In the past I've used a Garmin eTrex Legend with a 12 volt power wire. It did the job but I didn't like leaving an obvious GPS device on my dash for security reasons.

Any NMEA compatible GPS device works as long as it has that 9 pin RS 232 connection.

(The antenna you posted is but part of a system commonly found on public safety vehicles and buses. It connects to another "box" inside the vehicle. The primary use for that setup is to communicate the vehicle's location to a dispatch center computer so the closest resources are dispatched as needed. This is called "AVL/GPS" or automatic vehicle location based on global positioning system.)

Using a GPS device for location based scanning is a very handy feature which I believe you will like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.