Lake Co. New Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryradio

Premium Subscriber
Hi-
I live in lake county Indiana. I need a new scanner for the den and I was thinking of just getting a basic 800mhz but I know at some point (if not already) Lake County will finally go over to the Safe-T digital frequency.

Ive been out of the loop and cant figure out if this has already been done? Chatter seems a little slow on my favorite analog frequencies but its not dead by anymeans....

So can I still get away with an analog scanner in Lake County or has the PD/Fire already gone digital for the most part?

Need advice before buying a new scanner this week. Anticipate digital with a Bearcat BCD996XT or get away with a cheap analog?

Last edited:

KD4YGG

Database Admin
All the reports on the boards is that Lake County is leaning toward digital P-25 Phase II, which you'll need one of the new Uniden BCD436HP or BCD536HP units coming out in early 2014.

ryradio

Premium Subscriber
I know this has been in the works for some time. But has there been an exact date when they will finally go digital?

Its a shame I will have to retire my analog scanners soon.

Ed6698

All the towns in Lake County still run analog for now. They may use digital briefly here and there every so often. But I hear very little on the digital side in Lake County as far as the towns. Hammond and E. Chicago they have their own system. Eventually they will all switch over to a new system maybe late next year.

ryradio

Premium Subscriber
All the towns in Lake County still run analog for now. They may use digital briefly here and there every so often. But I hear very little on the digital side in Lake County as far as the towns. Hammond and E. Chicago they have their own system. Eventually they will all switch over to a new system maybe late next year.

late next year... so end of 2014 is what your thinking?

Seems like this is the same song and dance I heard about the transfer the past few years.... I haven't kept up to date on the situation and kind of assumed there would be a tentative date at least by now.

Ed- What are your plans for a new scanner, (see your shack photo, looks like analog tuned into Griffith PD.... or better yet the mansards channel ;^))

Last edited:

Ed6698

I am just going by what I have been reading on the transfer to a new system in Lake County. Supposedly it has to be done before the end of next year. As far as a new scanner, I am going to wait until I actually need a new one before I get one. I want to see the reviews and see what others think about the new ones coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.