Lake County Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD8TZC

Premium Subscriber
I have not used my Uniden BCD436HP for a bit, but with all the protests and riots this past weekend, I wanted to listen to what was going on in Lake county. I used to have this programmed, so I fired it up, and it seems I am only hearing from Eastlake, Willoughby and a few others, not from Mentor or Painesville. Has something changed on how I need to have these programmed? When I look at the RR Frequencies page for Lake County, it only lists a few municipalities. Any help would be appreciated to get back to monitoring.

Thanks,

John
KD8TZC

Last edited:

KD8TZC

Premium Subscriber
Okay... I had no traffic last night or this morning when scanning. I haven't used this for sometime, but it worked the last time I did. I wonder what I am doing wrong.

KD8TZC

Premium Subscriber
Well, I'm sitting deep in Lake County so I'm fairly certain that I am using a Lake County tower.

I'll go back to basics and resetup the rig and see if I can figure out what went wrong while in storage.

Swipesy

I am not a Uniden trunked radio user so I can't be of much help. However, if you have any Geauga Towers programmed it is possible your radio is getting its Lake County activity from a Geauga Tower and not Lake. Before reprogramming I would recommend you check your active towers. If you have Geauga Towers active disable them and see what happens.

budevans

Well, I'm sitting deep in Lake County so I'm fairly certain that I am using a Lake County tower.

I'll go back to basics and resetup the rig and see if I can figure out what went wrong while in storage.

John,

To receive Lake County your scanner should be programmed as a P25 Trunk System.
Here are the Control and Alternate Trunk Frequencies you should have programmed: 855.8625, 860.7625, 860.8125, 860.8625.

There are Four Talkgroup categories listed for Lake County. Common Talkgroups, Fire/EMS/Hospital Talkgroups, Law Talkgroups and Public Works Talkgroups. For a rough total of 90 Talkgroups. So there are plenty of things you should be hearing.

To view the Talkgroup listings click on Database (top of this screen), you'll get a US Map. Click on Ohio, next click on Lake County. Scroll to the bottom of the page, you will see radio systems listed. Scroll down to MARCS. Once in MARCS scroll down to the Talkgroup section and then scroll down to Lake County. You will see the Four Talkgroup Categories and the 90 Talkgroups.

Now, on another topic. Since you posted that you are in Lake County, there is another possible issue. The MARCS Lake County system is a Simulcast System. Which means the four towers act as one site. In other words they act as a single antenna, each site sends the same radio traffic. If your scanner is receiving the same information from multiple towers, your scanner is receiving each signal out of sync. The most common results are garbled or dropout reception. The only scanners designed to handle Simulcast are the Uniden SDS-100 and SDS-200.

So if you end up having a Simulcast issue, that's another post.

Hope the above helps.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
27504 Mentor PD Dispatch
27609 Mentor PD 1A
27551 Mentor FD Dispatch
25612 Mentor FD 1A

27507 Painesville PD Dispatch
27631 Painesville PD 1A
27553 Painesville FD Dispatch

Both cities are known to use various other Lake County Interop talkgroups from time to time, depending on situation. For the various festivals (Mentor Rocks, Party in the Park, etc) and whatnot, 43 TAC 1 thru 43 TAC 10 are used to keep regular operations on the main dispatch talkgroups.

Also, while you're re-programming, throw in a zone for the State IO talkgroups, XLECOM etc. There's a good bit of activity day to day you'll hear as a scanner user. I've heard Highway patrol pursuits, comms I still can't figure out but I believe has something to do with COVID-19, to county fair ops.

Status
Not open for further replies.