Lake County Law Enforcement and EMS went Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two days ago Lake County Sheriff's Department updated their radio system to the newer 800 Mhz frequencies, my old analog scanner that we have had since the 1980's is now obsolete. I do not know enough about scanners (other than how to program my old one) to know what I need to update my scanner. I am in hopes that someone can recomend a reasonably priced digital scanner and how to obtain the right frequencies. Our sheriff mentioned it is a "trunked" system, but I am not sure what that means. Thank you for the help.

utlchris

Two days ago Lake County Sheriff's Department updated their radio system to the newer 800 Mhz frequencies, my old analog scanner that we have had since the 1980's is now obsolete. I do not know enough about scanners (other than how to program my old one) to know what I need to update my scanner. I am in hopes that someone can recomend a reasonably priced digital scanner and how to obtain the right frequencies. Our sheriff mentioned it is a "trunked" system, but I am not sure what that means. Thank you for the help.

Check out this link from an earlyer post. Help PLEASE

lc911

Project 25

I would reccomend a used radio shack pro 96 on ebay. they usually go for 150-200 dollars.
Please try and find some more info on this, if they went encrypted, then it will be impossible to hear them.

Try and find out what system they are using. It may be project 25 which the whole state is changing to.

If it is trunked but not digital you will be able to hear them on a cheap scanner but if it is trunked+digital then you are looking at $300 dollars just to hear them.
I really hope its not digital.

Cryptolog

Premium Subscriber
Last Monday I spent a couple of hours monitoring in Leadville. I heard no VHF transmissions. Lake SO and Leadville PD are on the state DTRS. Callsigns are "Sheriff" + number and "Police" + number. The few TG's in RRDB are correct and unfortunately I heard no others. Also heard no CSP but that's not unusual there for me anyway. I monitoried Hagerman Pass and Granite CC's.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
I would reccomend a used radio shack pro 96 on ebay. they usually go for 150-200 dollars.
Please try and find some more info on this, if they went encrypted, then it will be impossible to hear them.

Try and find out what system they are using. It may be project 25 which the whole state is changing to.

If it is trunked but not digital you will be able to hear them on a cheap scanner but if it is trunked+digital then you are looking at $300 dollars just to hear them.
I really hope its not digital.

Pretty straight forward really no searching to do Lake County just moved to the Colorado statewide DTRS not encrypted much like Eagle County recently did.

Digital it is.

Jim<

A couple of days ago I spoke with a Lake County Dispatcher that I know and he said for sure that the system is "digital" and "trunked". Now comes the search for a scanner! Thank you for all of the advice.

lc911

Last Monday I spent a couple of hours monitoring in Leadville. I heard no VHF transmissions. Lake SO and Leadville PD are on the state DTRS. Callsigns are "Sheriff" + number and "Police" + number. The few TG's in RRDB are correct and unfortunately I heard no others. Also heard no CSP but that's not unusual there for me anyway. I monitoried Hagerman Pass and Granite CC's.

What is a TG and can you post a few frequencies they use

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
What is a TG and can you post a few frequencies they use

TG = Talk group

Frequencies they use are just the control channel for each area site, there only 2 or 3 and the scanner does the rest really simple actually.

All you need actually is a used Pro-96 those can be had pretty cheap these days since they are discontinued. Also would be happy to come over and do some programming just about anytime if you guys needs some help.

Jim<

Last edited:

nathancarlson

I would recommend a pre-programmed later model scanner that has all the capabilities you need, like the Home Patrol or PSR800. Even if they are on DTRS, you never know when you will need 700 mhz or ESK, ect. Its better to have a more modern one with all the systems agencies are switching to. As much as I enjoy programming radios (especially before we go on a short road trip) my next scanner will be one of these. You don't have to worry about programming, you can just look up and select what you want to listen to and its there for you. It would be great when you travel outside the area, and you can quickly access other agencies if you do travel around.

Don't feel bad about your old scanner. I am sure you will still find good use for it! There is so much out there to listen to! I have two old ones that aren't digital, and I still use them. I am sad that the pro-96 doesn't trunk on 700 so it doesn't do me good in some areas, but I have it programmed for the areas that it does work.

But the pro-96 is a good choice if you only want to monitor Lake County.

lc911

I got a pro 96 and now i hear pretty much anything. I heard a trasnsmission today of some kind of law enforcement saying they were on Pecos and 72nd street and I can hear salida and bv police and sheriff. I also heard what seemed to be an encrypted trasmission from a talkgroup 11807.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Talk Groups and Radios

This is what I have so far, any discover more?

11800 Lake County MAC
11801 Lake County
11802 Lake County
11803 Lake County Travel Channel

Radios seem to be in the low 233xxx like 233052 and 233054 for example.

Jim<

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
DTRS site: 235
DTRS Talkgroup: 11802

"Ambulance 3 Leadville"
"Leadville Ambulance 1"
"Ambulance 1 PD is on scene"
"Engine 1 copy"
"engine 1 on scene
"engine 1 the address is 419 east 5th street"
"Leadville Command 1"