Lake County Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hecubis

Hi, I just joined, and I have a question. I'm using a Pro-668, and I have finally started to figure out how to pick my local police channels. But I've noticed that even though I'm getting strong signals, it's usually difficult to hear what's being said when listening to Lake County police departments. But the ISP comes in very clear and according to the screen some ISP broadcasts are coming from many counties away. Any suggestions would be helpful. Please remember that I am new to the p25 system and digital scanners in general.

Ed6698

Sometimes it all depends on where you are located and the antenna. I get the best results on the Lake County system by having the squelch as low as it can go. I use several different antennas, even the stock antenna for the 1080 works good, other times I have to use the Radio Shack 800mhz antenna. Only problem with having the squelch so low, if there is any conventional stuff this can cause a problem. That is why I have 1 scanner dedicated to the Lake County system.

hecubis

Thanks so much for the reply. I also turned the squelch down very low. I have been using the radio shack 800mhz antenna. I also have a telescoping antenna from my Pro-90 and that seems to help some. I turned the DSP Level Adapt down to 44. This all seems to have helped some. Yet with my local station, Hobart, It almost seems like there is too much traffic and they are stepping on each other. I'm not sure that's what's really happening, but it sounds like it. I am not familiar with the 1080 stock antenna. As for the conventional channels, I have locked them all out to avoid the interruption to the p25 traffic. I went on ebay and found a 16 inch whip antenna that might work.

Last edited:

Ed6698

I have my DSP level set in the higher range, usually have it anywhere from 74 to around 99. I still think they are doing fine tuning adjustments every so often and it changes things. I notice the weather has some effect also it seems, that is why I vary the antenna also at times. The 1080 stock antenna is the antenna that comes with the WS1080, I also use that one on my WS1095 at times. On my WS1095, I have a 90 degree BNC adapter I got from Radio Shack. I like the adapter as I can rotate the antenna , which seems to help a lot at times.

Attachments

• scanner.jpg
    scanner.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 191

hecubis

Thanks and I appreciate the info. I adjusted my dsp level, but it didn't seem to help. Also I went through all the talk group channels and locked out most of them except the main dispatch for police and fire. That seemed to help some. I'm thinking I may need to put an antenna on my house, but that seems like a lot of work for a handheld scanner. I can't believe no one here who lives in Lake county has a pro-668 and isn't having problems. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe Radio Shack is over selling their device. They swore up and down that I would have no problems picking up the p-25 system. But I continue to have issues with the transmissions seeming to cut out as someone is talking.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Lake Co. ???

AT home here in ILL-annoyed, I use two different 700/800mhz and 400-960mhz yagi antennas. That's the only way I can get the P25 Simulcast system that our fire is on consistently. Out in the car? I use a bnc window clip and RS800mhz antenna OR the crazy but effective "antenna" in this video
. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKxp3-2_y8g

Sometimes the simulcast interference is so stifling, coming in UNDER it works best with the smallest antenna. This worked mobile too. As for squelch settings? I did the same thing as ED6698 did. I have a separate V-scanner folder setup for local trunking. I have the squelch open all the way and made sure that any conventional objects listed ALL have CTCSS PL tones so the squelch doesn't come open with that hash noise. If you open the squelch all the way and you have any object without a tone code or on "search" it will open the squelch. The level of delay also affects that hash noise. I have all the delays for objects set to 0 so the hash tail is very small. If you have 4-5 seconds of delay? they let go the mic and it's hash for that long after. Works pretty well combined with either mobile antenna I use. I also have a cheap 30 mile-RCA HD TV antenna with screw-on BNC adapter hooked up in my car trunk. That seemed to help too when traveling. I do have DSP level adapt on 254. DSP level adapt is how fast the DSP reacts to changes in the P25 System broadcast. Wouldn't we want it to react FAST all the time? too low like 10-15 was worse for me here in Chi-raq.

Status
Not open for further replies.