Lake County Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryradio

Premium Subscriber
In Lake County im guessing most of the police transmissions are non-truncated analog ; if/when will these be upgraded to truncated or digital? Im considering a new scanner purchase and want to make sure my new purchase isnt obsoulete in Lake County Indiana.

KidClerk

Feed Provider
I think a lot of this will be addressed when Lake County completes their dispatch centralization. I still hear the sheriff's department on VHF and don't hear much on 800 here in Newton County, but I'm in the south part of my county and may be too far from the 800 towers. I think some of the cities are utilizing 800 analog and/or digital. You'll want a digital scanner if for no other reason than for state police and other state agencies who are on the SAFE-T system.

In Lake County im guessing most of the police transmissions are non-truncated analog ; if/when will these be upgraded to truncated or digital? Im considering a new scanner purchase and want to make sure my new purchase isnt obsoulete in Lake County Indiana.

ryradio

Premium Subscriber
I found some documentation online where the state is asking for bids from contractors to upgrade the infrastructure to digital but its over 5 years old... so I am not sure what to think. If the state police are on the safe-t system, I would guess locals are not far behind but who knows?

Either way it hampers my plans to buy a new scanner....

Ide be very happy to hear from anyone that knows more about this in Lake County.

shauno

Premium Subscriber
Hammond and East Chicago use analog 800 Mhz system. All other agencies in Lake County are still on VHF except for Gary which uses UHF for its Police channels. There is rumor that the county wants to switch to the state digital system (Safe-T) when they consolidate all the dispatch centers, but that is only rumor at this point...its a matter of if they can come up with the money.

ryradio

Premium Subscriber
Shauno or any else.... for Lake County I have read past posts hear as far back as 5 years ago talking about the Safe-T system.... 5 years later I still get my locals on VHF. I have considered a scanner upgrade (currently running a cheapo radio shack desk mount with upgrade antenna).... do you think with the 2013 FCC mandates will Lake County go trunked or digital or worse encrypted?

Another question for lake and porter guys, what equipment are you using now or anticipate will be needed to listen in on the police in our area?

In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
I am in Lake county mobile a lot. If I were you and thinking of buying a new scanner I would go digital if you can afford it. After all there are a few departments using it from time to time in Porter County right now. I run my 396xt with Lake and Porter counties along with the State system all of the time. If I couldn't set PL Tones for frequencies I would be hear stuff from Chicago that I didn't want to hear. So if nothing else buy something that you can set PL Tones. I have heard a lot of undercover work being done in the Gary area during the day on the state system. This is pretty interesting stuff to me even if I don't live there. So I'm just say spend your money now and get that digital scanner cause you are missing out on some good digital listening.

shauno

Premium Subscriber
Shauno or any else.... for Lake County I have read past posts hear as far back as 5 years ago talking about the Safe-T system.... 5 years later I still get my locals on VHF. I have considered a scanner upgrade (currently running a cheapo radio shack desk mount with upgrade antenna).... do you think with the 2013 FCC mandates will Lake County go trunked or digital or worse encrypted?

Another question for lake and porter guys, what equipment are you using now or anticipate will be needed to listen in on the police in our area?

I don't think they will completely encrypted. Maybe for stuff like undercover ops or something. Working at a Lake County department it is my understanding that they plan....or at least want...to go to the state system by the time they consolidate all the dispatch. I have 3 digital scanners, but right now the only traffic I am hearing on a regular basis is State Police or other state agencies. Like mountaineer said, there are some departments that use it occasionally for special details or operations, but there are no agencies in Lake or Porter County that uses the digital system exclusively. I agree, spend the money now so you will be ready for later!

KidClerk

Feed Provider
As I mentioned in a previous post, you'll want digital for monitoring state police from Lowell and the Toll Road district. Also, the recent district disaster exercises in District 1 have utilized the SAFE-T system, including Lake County. Here in neighboring Newton County, the sheriff's deputies use the 800 system about 50% of the time, if that is ever of any interest. While not digital yet, Kankakee County, Illinois uses both VHF and 800, which comes in handy when those tornadic storms are moving into southern Lake County from Illinois. As everyone concurs, buying anything but a digital scaner in today's environment would not be advisable.

ryradio

Premium Subscriber
Im curious about time frame.

When the rest of the county "rebands" do you think the police and fire will go to trunked analog like Hammond and EC for a period of time or will go entirely digital/SafeT like the troupers?

I know there is some sort of FCC mandate in 2013 but am curious how it will effect municipalities like St John Schererville Dyer Munster Griffith and Highland. If I can still get away with a cheapo scanner or upgrade to a trunked scanner for a few years that would be cool.

Last edited:

shauno

Premium Subscriber

When the rest of the county "rebands" do you think the police and fire will go to trunked analog like Hammond and EC for a period of time or will go entirely digital/SafeT like the troupers?

I know there is some sort of FCC mandate in 2013 but am curious how it will effect municipalities like St John Schererville Dyer Munster Griffith and Highland. If I can still get away with a cheapo scanner or upgrade to a trunked scanner for a few years that would be cool.

You should be still be able to get away with using a "cheapo" scanner. I have not heard of any change to any type of 800 analog system as yet. I could be wrong but its my understanding that the 2013 FCC mandate is for narrow banding of the radio frequencies that the departments already use...shouldn't affect your reception of them.

KidClerk

Feed Provider
Do you not want to listen to state police or homeland security or the other agencies already on the SAFE-T system? If not, then buy a cheapo scanner.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
I live in Lake County and the consolidated dispatch centre isn't due to be built/talked about until 2014 from what I read...

We still have a while of local PD dispatching (as it should be) so hopefully they'll stay on analogue VHF.

nwiscan

Can some one confirm all I need for a 106 are the control channels?
Thanks

I have the following programed and do receive transmissions when close enough:

852.587500 (C)

I think E.C. has additional non-trunked FD/EMT frequencies.

Does anyone have any Arcelor Mittal frequencies? Or any tips about getting Nipsco?

In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
This is the RR page for their 800 system... Northern Indiana Public Service Company 800Mhz Trunking System, Various, Indiana - Scanner Frequencies

And this is the RR page for their 900 system...Northern Indiana Public Service Company 900Mhz Trunking System, Various, Indiana - Scanner Frequencies

As for Arcelor Mittal in Lake and Porter counties there are a lot of frequencies listed in the FCC database. I don't get into these mills much so I don't really listen to them. I do run Close Call on my Uniden when I am in the mill and most of the frequencies I pick up are in the 460mhz range.

And as for East Chicago using non-trunked freqs.... Well I know they are listed within the RR database but I have not ever heard them being used. However I have only been listening in the area for 2 or so years. I don't live there I am only in the area from Monday to Friday.

You should make it so you can receive email and pm's. I was going to just pm you this info.

Status
Not open for further replies.