Lake Fire frequencies ANF , Los Angeles County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paysonscanner

listening to Angeles National Forest Fire Net Live Audio Feed - going to new comm plan / 205 now - will have new command net - I am not sure if its the Branch Fire or Lake Fire

----------------

Branch (Fire) just requested 1 more LAT - will be Tanker 131? from San Bernardino Tanker Base - SBTB has 3 more LATs ready to go

---------------

noon EDT / 9 AM local Pacific Whatever Time

Fantastic! I hadn't looked in the California Broadcastify section in a long time. It is so rare to have a national forest or national park available on Broadcastify. I'm listening to it right now. I have to admit it makes me homesick for California. The radio traffic isn't the same here in Arizona, but better than it was when I was a kid growing up here.

Paysonscanner

I think its time LACo to actually own some scoopers! But I have seen two scoopers out on the Lake Fire the last few days.

Late Hubby went to a few southern California fires on a Type 1 engine strike team. He talked to a lot of federal and L.A. County FD people. At the time all had nothing good to say about "SuperScoopers." The L.A. County battalion chiefs he talked to all said that the "SuperPoopers," as they called them, were shoved down their throats by politicians and the public. They say if water is needed helicopters are more precise and dump the water more slowly than the scooopers can as their air speed is lower. They observe that with the scoopers the water they drop breaks up into mist due to the speed of the aircraft. Hubby took some good notes with these quotes. They also said that if they want a fixed wing to drop on a fire, retardant is a far better choice than water as it doesn't evaporate like fixed wing water drops, plus it lasts far longer. Even when dry, retardant still works and water, of course does not. The feds said they really don't want to use them citing the same things the LACo FD people said.

Most people in wildland fire say the aircraft operations are critical, but overall not as important as the media, politicians and the public give it. The real work is done by people ground pounding and the aircraft support them, not the other way around. My dear husband was from southern California and he had the same impression of aircraft the public and the media have. However, in his 35 years on a volunteer department, far from SOCAL, that often responded to wildland fires, he found out what firefighting actually entails. It isn't at all the flashy things the public thinks it is, it is ground pounding tough and dirty work. He was a button down shirt, Dockers sort of a guy as a civil engineer, but put on real dirty Nomex clothing and breathed a lot of dust when the engines did some work on wildland fires. He also did a lot of sitting around when Type 1 engines were parked in subdivisions near fires. That's when he wrote all his notes of what he saw or heard from full time firefighters.

I worked in an ER and cut the Nomex off some of the patients brought in. I don't think I've ever seen clothing more dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.