Lake Patrol in Oklahoma

Status
Not open for further replies.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
Anyone got info on freqs used by Lake Patrol around Oklahoma? I was down at the Lake of the Arbuckles and was trying to find something to no avail.

harriskwtvcom

Lake Patrol in OK

I believe lake patrol division of OHP uses the State 800 where available (like Lake Thunderbird)--otherwise they use the lo-band. They may also use local Sheriff department's to run id checks, etc. For Lake O' the Arbuckles...try looking in the database for the Ardmore OHP freqs and the Murray Co Sheriff's office. Lake Patrol units will use "William" as their radio callsign.

dward42586

Premium Subscriber
Lake Patrol

In Oklahoma "Lake Patrol" is usually a division of OHP.

State Parks officers are usually on 156.015 MHz.

I'm not sure that Okalhoma has any Federal Parks.

MoparManor

Premium Subscriber
The National Park Service runs all of their 28/29 s thru Murray County who also dispatches for them.
Anytime that they need assistance they also revert back to MCSO.
In the database ,near the bottom of Murray County , is the link to the Chickasaw National Recreation Area and it contains the information about the frequecy and tones.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
I was listening to the park rangers as you said, working through Murray County. I was wondering if the guys patroling the lake were on a different freq.

dward42586

Premium Subscriber
Park Rangers - Lake Patrol

Park Rangers are not a division of the OHP as Lake Rangers are, so their primary frequencies are probably going to be different.

Around Lake Keystone, I hear the Lake Patrol mostly on the Osage County SD freq. 156.21, Pawnee County SD 154.80 and occasionally on Cleveland PD which is now 154.055 and Mannford PD 154.755.

Park Rangers at Keystone State Park and the park near Osage use 156.015. They are land based only as far as I know.

dstew67

Premium Subscriber
Anyone got info on freqs used by Lake Patrol around Oklahoma? I was down at the Lake of the Arbuckles and was trying to find something to no avail.

They use the same frequency/talkgroup that other troopers in the area use, and they ID as William units. For example, you'll hear the units who work Lake Thunderbird talk to dispatch on AR-1, and ID as William-###. Same thing in other areas.

State and national park rangers have nothing to do with Lake Patrol Division.

dbestfirefighter

Dozer
Premium Subscriber
You must read and find the answer, what "guys" are you talking about? Where they OHP? Where they Game Wardens? Where they State park police? What kinda of boat were they operating? What were the markings on the side, if any? What kinda of uniform did they have on them. If it is a state lake, then a number of different law enforcement agencies could be on the water. Be more specific of what the "guys" look like.

dbestfirefighter

Dozer
Premium Subscriber
After further research arbuckle lake is with in the CNP, therefore the Federal Park rangers would use 168.425 with a NAC of 110. Now that being said they may have some sort of mutual aid agreement between OHP lake patrol and the Feds, but I doubt it.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
It was a typical patrol boat with only a grey stripe on a light grey or white boat...no markings, and I couldn't tell what exactly the driver was wearing as he was out a bit. I don't think it even had red and blue light's on it that I could see unless they were the new LED's

MoparManor

Premium Subscriber
I will run out there over the weekend and identify the boat ........I have never seen a lake patrol boat with the OHP insignia on the lake nor around town passing thru........I have, however seen the Ok Wildlife boat a couple of times on the lake, but it clearly had the insignia on it.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Park Rangers are not a division of the OHP as Lake Rangers are, so their primary frequencies are probably going to be different..

Per http://www.dps.state.ok.us/ohp/tngrct/OHPtroops.htm, Troop W is a regular OHP troop.

As you note, the State Park Rangers are organized under the Parks and Tourism. See, for example, http://www.touroklahoma.com/info/newsreleases.asp?id=848

Q. Do the State Parks have their own law enforcement?

A. Yes. All of our park rangers are fully commissioned peace officers who can enforce all state laws, park rules and regulations. They have the authority to make arrests and carry weapons. The larger parks require a bigger staff, and some of the smaller parks share rangers. Rangers have a variety of duties, from assisting in medical emergencies to keeping the peace in campgrounds, enforcing speed limits and protecting resources within the parks.

In addition to policing their own areas, park rangers often provide aid to county sheriffs departments, other state law enforcement agencies and the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation.​

48784 was long listed as "OLP - Lake Thunderbird", but I see that it's been updated to say Park Rangers; I think this is a better description.

First, there's not a lot of traffic on the TG. Second, all that I've heard seems to me to be Park Rangers, and not water troopers.

I do, occasionally, hear traffic on 156.015, but there's not really enough traffic there to correlate ops there with what's on the State system. And yes, I'm close enough to hear the simplex comms on VHF.

KX5MOT

We dispatch for the park rangers at Thunderbird on CCSO 26896 and the rangers also use 48784 to talk to each other when they arn't talking to us. When we need lake patrol we have to call OHP by phone and they dispatch lake patrol on AR-1.

car2back

I hear Parks units alot on Osage County dispatch (156.21) running traffic along with every other LEO and Green Country FF in the county, and occasionally on TRD-7A (40976) asking "10-9?" when being told to switch to service side ;)

Last edited:

plaws

Premium Subscriber
We dispatch for the park rangers at Thunderbird on CCSO 26896 and the rangers also use 48784 to talk to each other when they arn't talking to us. When we need lake patrol we have to call OHP by phone and they dispatch lake patrol on AR-1.

Thanks - that explains a lot. I thought there were duplicate unit IDs or something. Explains why that other TG is relatively quiet.

I live in Illinois for 7 years and there, no dispatcher would *have* to call the ISP by phone, they'd just punch the ISPERN button on their console and call them.

You've think now that more and more jurisdictions are on the state system that there would be an "OHPERN" (OK, need a better name) so that they could all call each other ... Likewise for fire.

Excellent info - thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.