Lake Worth, TX: Military plane crashes into Texas neighborhood, ejecting crew and damaging multiple homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
From a different local TV station:

Also, from the Dallas News:

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
I was listening to this aircraft landing at NAS Fort Worth when this all happened yesterday. It went from a normal landing to an emergency and ejection in just a few quick seconds. I heard the booms over my house as the pilots ejected and the aircraft crashed about a half mile or so south of my location. I knew from the radio traffic what the likely scenario was even though I wasn't 100% sure yet that there had been a crash. Hearing what I now think was the ejection booms made me instantly realize the emergency must have been really bad. I went down the street and saw the billowing dark smoke and took a couple of photos. I had no doubt at that point what had occurred. I don't think that rr.com will allow me to upload a higher resolution image. But if it does, below is an attached image from about a half mile away about 5-7 minutes later...

Brian
COMMMSCAN

Attachments

• PXL_20210919_160203685.jpg
    PXL_20210919_160203685.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 33

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
I was just listening to Law IO 5 on the FWRRS and Lake Worth and River Oaks PD's had a small convoy going with the truck(s) carrying the crashed jet. They were taking it over to NAS Fort Worth JRB. Sounded like a pretty big load from the radio traffic.

I saw this big crane that must have been brought out overnight to lift the materials as I was headed to the doctor's office this morning. This thing must be 200 ft tall I would guess?

Brian
COMMSCAN

Attachments

• PXL_20210921_134912307.jpg
    PXL_20210921_134912307.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 15

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Any updates on the injured pilot?

I haven't heard anything other than he will survive and it's not a life-threatening injury. He was burned severely according to a US Navy Training tweet. And the burns reportedly were from the power lines as he got snagged on them with his parachute according to local news stories. I don't think he made direct contact with the lines himself but I do not know for sure. I know that a person can be shocked and burned from power lines without ever touching them just from being in close proximity.

I've been keeping a lookout for any updates on the trainee pilot but really haven't seen any more. A lot of times what the news reports is not accurate. They seem to report things without confirming them first nowadays. But the Navy did say that it was a life-threatening injury and he is still in Parkland hospital being treated. He was listed in critical condition early on and I'm not sure if that has changed or not? They listed the instructor pilot as being in serious condition, but having listened to the patient report as he was taken into the hospital, it sure didn't sound like he suffered much other than muscle strains from the ejection. He landed into trees and had some twigs poke him breaking the skin/scratching him but everything passed in the report was very minor in severity. He was released I believe the next day.

Hopefully the trainee pilot will be released and we will hear some updates on him soon. But thank God, both are expected to live and there were no fatalities in the air or on the ground from the crash.

Brian
COMMSCAN

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I haven't heard anything other than he will survive and it's not a life-threatening injury. He was burned severely according to a US Navy Training tweet. And the burns reportedly were from the power lines as he got snagged on them with his parachute according to local news stories. I don't think he made direct contact with the lines himself but I do not know for sure. I know that a person can be shocked and burned from power lines without ever touching them just from being in close proximity.

When taking ground school for skydiving, they really harp on avoiding power lines. Almost anything else is a better option than hitting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.