Lake Zurich Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorak

Was anyone listening to Lake Zurich 2nd channel yesterday? (3/26/08) (477.3875) There was some pretty interesting stuff going on. I'm not going to discuss specifically what it was, but It wasn't very smart for the cops to be using an unencrypted radio frequency for what type of operation they were doing.

Statevillian

Why not delete this post?..... Gorak?...moderator?..... someone?......It doesn't fit the format of the forums does it?..........especially if it was sensitive and you have given up their channel and something 'juicy' to entice future listening.........which potentially can be a safety concern for officers or others. I'm not looking for conflict, just looking for a sensible solution please.

gorak

Well, if It was really THAT sensitive and important, I think they would be smart enough to not use the radio in the first place for what they were doing.

Statevillian

gorak said:
Well, if It was really THAT sensitive and important, I think they would be smart enough to not use the radio in the first place for what they were doing.

There are agencies using trunked systems and even now with the newer digital systems they believe they can't be monitored. Some people don't think they can or are being monitored. This is OUR hobby. Many in law enforcement don't have the same interests as us or even the understanding of scanner capabilities these days. Somehow they are led to believe they are operating on a channel no one is aware of. The point is, if they broadcast something they shouldn't have before....they may do it again. And in this forum, that frequency has already been flagged. And, I will tell you this much...and I know thtis to be a FACT since I work for a governmental agency: There are LE agencies who do not like us as hobbyists; there are agencies and officers who routinely monitor this forum and local scanning club pages. They talk about it where I work so I KNOW! A few agencies have specifically tried to get encryption and some are actively pursuing it now. Those kind of posts get printed and shared at meetings where the bigwigs gather. You can believe it or not. The right thing would have been to just keep it to yourself in my opinion. If someone gets hurt in the future using that channel and someone printed YOUR post, I'll bet someone will be smart enough to somehow try and link it to YOUR post. I know guys who have been paid a visit by uniforms and suits in the past regarding information posted or because they called a PD to let them know a control channel frequency was causing problems with reception of talkgroups (channels on the radios). Even if your post didn't get someone hurt or jeopardize an investigation, it has the potential. There are active gang members and outlaw biker members who read these forums and are members of mailing lists for local scanner enthusiasts. THAT, my friend, is FACT. I KNOW THIS as a professional, not a hobbyist. Otherwise, I could care less what anyone posts. I won't post anymore on this topic. I see no one is really getting it.

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
IF something SENSITIVE had actually been written in this thread, it would've been a different story, other than that, they may now know they can be heard and will operate smarter. RELAX

Status
Not open for further replies.