Lakes Region updating radio system this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

12dbsinad

Ossipee Mountain Electronics must be pissed, this system is in their backyard and always did the work for Lakes. Motorola looses yet again in New England.

Didn't they just switch to a simulcast system a few years ago?

12dbsinad

It is my understanding that they are using low band for site to site audio links. It's possible these are real directional and you're just not in the right spots to hear them.

The new system may include a new microwave backhaul for more reliable performance.

So on the subject of LRMFA, a few questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience with programming fire tone outs on this system? I have been trying for years to program my XTS5000 to work for the Waterville Valley tones which I have picked up with a phone app, and also found on some databases but have yet to get a hit.

2. Does anyone know how the system is set up? It is my understanding that dispatch transmits and receives via the towers yet everyone else only receives dispatch from the towers and transmits to the towers (meaning when I am in Waterville, I can only hear dispatch and I can hear the Waterville units when they are on the air).

3. What exactly is the UHF uplink?

12dbsinad

1. Does anyone have any experience with programming fire tone outs on this system? I have been trying for years to program my XTS5000 to work for the Waterville Valley tones which I have picked up with a phone app, and also found on some databases but have yet to get a hit.

2. Does anyone know how the system is set up? It is my understanding that dispatch transmits and receives via the towers yet everyone else only receives dispatch from the towers and transmits to the towers (meaning when I am in Waterville, I can only hear dispatch and I can hear the Waterville units when they are on the air).

LRFMA runs a simplex simulcast system (wide area). All of the towers in the system transmit on the same frequency at the same time from dispatch. The mobile units also transmit back to dispatch on the same frequency (simplex). The towers receive is what they call "voted". Whatever tower site hears the mobile unit the best, the audio is routed thru that tower and back to dispatch. You can also hear the mobile units, but you need to be close enough to pick up their signal directly, that's why most of the time you only hear dispatch. A UHF link is used as a audio path. It can serve several purposes, it can control a simplex base station at a tower site, route the audio back from a voting system, and it can also be used for site to site linking.

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
To follow-up on #3, there are no longer UHF links in use by Lakes Region. The system will essentially be what it is today, but with updated infrastructure technology. I believe they will be adding (or re-establishing) a few incident/tactical repeaters throughout the area.

ecps92

An uplink is where Dispatch Transmits to a remove site, without the use of a microwave or landline network available.
You won't hear the UPLINK within the bowl of Waterville

That said you may hear the Downlink [but don't use it for tone-out] for area mobile/portables, but for tone-out it mutes at dispatch

Any idea what the Waterville Tones are and how to program them the right way? I think I have the right tones because on TwoTone detect it works but on my Motorola radios they don’t get triggered at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.