Lakewood police radios faulty, to be replaced

Status
Not open for further replies.

rckydenver

I take it they are still using EDACS portables (perhaps patched to the digital system), and they are expediting the portable upgrades to digital.
That would make more sense, I was begining to think that they where having problems with the new digital radios, yesterday or the day before i heard the radio maintence doing some radio testing. (one million dollar reserve money, ummm)

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
Public safety won't (and shouldn't) risk having radios in the field that can't be repaired due to parts obsolescence if they get broken, particularly if they have the money to do so. Can their current radios make it 20 years? Sure, but why deal with the headaches of scrounging for parts or cannibalizing parts from other radios....

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
There is more to this story than they are letting on. I suspect the radios are not the issue but the infrastructure. But hey, its the Air Force way of doing things: buy the radios first (i.e.: build the golf course and crew quarters) then go back later and ask for more money to replace the system controllers and build more towers (build the runway)!

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Radios has less that a 10 year lifespan? What are they using them for? Hammers! We have radios in service with gorillas as operators that are 20 years old. A 4 watt 20 year old radio still puts out the same power as a brand new 4 watt radio. Sounds like a scam to me..

See - Planned Obsolescence

We do things a bit differently out West.;)

Last edited:

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
I think before anyone starts "throwing deep from their barca lounger", we might consider that this was forseen as a possible way to get around initial budgetary and time constraints. Just a guess...

Thayne

AFIK, the radios they are talking about are mostly the ones that were purchased when they went to the ESK on the EDACS system. Most of them are capable of being flashed & firmware upgraded to P25. I think the whole infrastructure is all GE, Ma/Com, Harris, But I am sure someone will chime in with the whole skinny--
Some of the coverage issues could be from using 2 sites now and also as going digital usually causes some issues with the users-especially Fire-persons. I don't listen to it much, but it sounds pretty good to me as compared to DTRS

Status
Not open for further replies.