LAN Port on Back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8WCA

I am not at home right now but there is a LAN Port on the Back of the SDS200 I think it says GPS.

I find not much in the manual about it.

In fact the Manual has NO Photo's of the Back of the Unit at all? ! ?

It's a pretty weak manual for a 700$ Piece of equipment - almost all manuals have a sketch of front and back along with an explanation of each 'item' on each face.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
It's a pretty weak manual for a 700$ Piece of equipment - almost all manuals have a sketch of front and back along with an explanation of each 'item' on each face.
I couldn't agree with that more. Other than stuff built last century (that wasn't as complex), it is likely the worse manual I've seen. And the easier-to-read version seems to leave out the same things that the manufacturer's manual does.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
There were a number of things that were added to the radio, like the filters and larger battery, after the radio was originally sold. Most would have been in firmware updates but the larger battery, of course, came along when it was ready since the original battery just wasn't a long-lasting battery. So those of us who bought or pre-ordered the SDS100 radio got the original, small battery and then we got the larger battery whenever it was finally released a few months later. So there are some things that will not be in the manual at all.

It is unfortunate that there's not a updated manual that Uniden has released. But for the most part, I think everything's been covered here on RR.com. I actually don't think anybody ever releases updated manuals when modifications are made nowadays? And few companies did it in years gone by.

There are a lot of cool things in the manual that have actually been features on radios going back as far as the BCD396XT. I never really used the features back then, and I can't even remember the name of the feature right now where you can directly go to a channel by pressing a series of numbers, but it really is helpful on the SDS100/200 and I use it a lot on those radios. I still have a lot of learning to do on some of the capabilities on my SDS radios including the CAT5 cable port. I don't stream anything but I've been thinking about streaming my own private feed just for fun. The only thing is I don't usually need to since I always have a radio with me and can still listen to the same things that would be playing on the SDS 200 at home haha. But it could come in handy if I was out of town and wanted to check in and listen to something back home. I just want to figure out how to use everything including the things that I really don't use too often. And I know the manual isn't always great at describing how to do these things.

I really miss Paul Opitz, UPman, because he busted his butt getting things right on each model and he had some really great ideas on how to make these radios we have today. I only hope that Uniden hires

somebody who can continue on even half as well as Paul did!

Sorry to run on so much in this reply but sometimes that happens... :)

Brian (COMMSCAN)
KI5FLE

Sent using Google Voice to Text. Please excuse any errors I could not see.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I am not at home right now but there is a LAN Port on the Back of the SDS200 I think it says GPS.

I find not much in the manual about it.

In fact the Manual has NO Photo's of the Back of the Unit at all? ! ?

I thought it was strange they omitted that as well. The rear is an RJ11 and the front is an RJ45. They are not interchangeable.

There were a number of things that were added to the radio, like the filters and larger battery, after the radio was originally sold. Most would have been in firmware updates but the larger battery, of course, came along when it was ready since the original battery just wasn't a long-lasting battery. So those of us who bought or pre-ordered the SDS100 radio got the original, small battery and then we got the larger battery whenever it was finally released a few months later. So there are some things that will not be in the manual at all.

It is unfortunate that there's not a updated manual that Uniden has released. But for the most part, I think everything's been covered here on RR.com. I actually don't think anybody ever releases updated manuals when modifications are made nowadays? And few companies did it in years gone by.
FYI, the OP is referring to the 200, not the 100, but your point is well taken about updated manuals.

andyman82

TampaScan
I don't stream anything but I've been thinking about streaming my own private feed just for fun. The only thing is I don't usually need to since I always have a radio with me and can still listen to the same things that would be playing on the SDS 200 at home haha. But it could come in handy if I was out of town and wanted to check in and listen to something back home. I just want to figure out how to use everything including the things that I really don't use too often.

That's exactly why I started my stream.. primarily so I could listen to it from anywhere in near-realtime (about 4-5 seconds latency) and still be able to control the scanner remotely through proscan. I would love to have an SDS100 to travel around with and that would be fun, but I don't want to spend that kind of money on it right now. Another advantage of your own personal stream is I play mine through the phone which is much easier to carry around than a giant scanner. All that to say, I highly recommend running your own stream to listen to. It's not as hard as you think!

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I couldn't agree with that more. Other than stuff built last century (that wasn't as complex), it is likely the worse manual I've seen. And the easier-to-read version seems to leave out the same things that the manufacturer's manual does.
Yeah like the SDS200 FILTERS!

RCjim

Premium Subscriber

There are a lot of cool things in the manual that have actually been features on radios going back as far as the BCD396XT. I never really used the features back then, and I can't even remember the name of the feature right now where you can directly go to a channel by pressing a series of numbers, but it really is helpful on the SDS100/200 and I use it a lot on those radios. I still have a lot of learning to do on some of the capabilities on my SDS radios including the CAT5 cable port. I don't stream anything but I've been thinking about streaming my own private feed just for fun. The only thing is I don't usually need to since I always have a radio with me and can still listen to the same things that would be playing on the SDS 200 at home haha. But it could come in handy if I was out of town and wanted to check in and listen to something back home. I just want to figure out how to use everything including the things that I really don't use too often. And I know the manual isn't always great at describing how to do these things.

I really miss Paul Opitz, UPman, because he busted his butt getting things right on each model and he had some really great ideas on how to make these radios we have today. I only hope that Uniden hires

somebody who can continue on even half as well as Paul did!

Sorry to run on so much in this reply but sometimes that happens... :)

Brian (COMMSCAN)
KI5FLE

Sent using Google Voice to Text. Please excuse any errors I could not see.

I think the SDS 100 manual reads you can’t charge and listen at the same time but you can. Page 9

I agree with your statement about missing Paul, he was the driving force behind what we have today. For me I’m very happy with my SDS 100 and 200 thank you Upman!

W8WCA

That's exactly why I started my stream.. primarily so I could listen to it from anywhere in near-realtime (about 4-5 seconds latency) and still be able to control the scanner remotely through proscan. I would love to have an SDS100 to travel around with and that would be fun, but I don't want to spend that kind of money on it right now. Another advantage of your own personal stream is I play mine through the phone which is much easier to carry around than a giant scanner. All that to say, I highly recommend running your own stream to listen to. It's not as hard as you think!
What do you use for stream?
When I use ProScan web server my audio is apx 20 to 26 seconds behind

Ages ago I used to run icecast and dark ice on my linux box it had 12 seconds or more too

belvdr

No longer interested in living
What do you use for stream?

Ages ago I used to run icecast and dark ice on my linux box it had 12 seconds or more too
When I tested ProScan, the lag was 3-5 seconds. This test was on the local network.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

There is a delay adjustment drop-down box when viewing the ProScan stream on a web browser. It allows you to sync the audio with the scanner perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.