Lancashire, UK - Police officers sue force over 'radio injuries'

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
LANCASHIRE, Eng. -- The Lancashire Constabulary was the first in Britain to try out the Airwave network, designed specifically to hive longer range and more capcaity to the emergency services and the military.

Police officers sue force over 'radio injuries' - Telegraph

This phenomena of blaming the electronics related to use of electronics by people is not new. If a CB or Ham radio operator put up an antenna 40 years ago all RFI was blamed on the operator. A guy in our neighborhood put up a SWL antenna and the kid next door developed Leukemia. Sure enough the mother was blaming the SWL antenna for causing the Leukemia.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
I dont think that many hams wear their radios on their chests for 40 hours per week. I dont think many hams use portables as extensively as police either. I think that few hams use the emission modes used by Airwave. I suspect that few if any hams use the freqs that Airwave uses.

Anyone have any health info on hams? Any health info for frequent users of portable radios? Perhaps a study by a governmental agency or a scientific group?

Apparently some think that these police are lying or untruthful for some reason. Anyone know what that reason might be? Is there some reason the police would have various symptoms, and be filing reports about the symptoms?

Peter Sz

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Hey what about people that are always on cell phones or portable handsets for long period of times

petnrdx

Having been both a Ham (nearly 40 years) and a cop (27 years) I believe Hams transmit WAY more than Public Safety users. And Hams are generally around transmitters more hours for longer periods. I haven't seen study or known of any link to greater illness caused by radios. And I don't think the cops are "lying" or anything like that. But, I do believe they are misinformed. The Union may have a Lawyer or Doctors that are willing to push the issue for other reasons.
The Public Safety business(s) are stressful, long hours, rotating shifts, difficult work conditions, etc.
Likely that is where the medical problems come from.
Not to mention exposure to Meth Labs, burned cars, homes, etc.
Much of the Public Safety work is done in areas where exposure to unknown or underestimated substances is common.
I spent most of my career working with explosives and Haz-Mat.
Early on, we had NO protective equipment (and didn't think we needed it), later I had every piece of protective equipment I needed.
But, the first responders (patrol, fire and EMS) usually had none or didn't use it.
I believe that is where a lot of the illness and later cancers are coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.