Lancaster County - P25 System (Part II)

u2brent

Premium Subscriber
Finally,
Some good news for LCWC listeners & hobbyists. (y)

LE encryption may end soon.. (At least on the Dispatch side anyway, The way it was before they flipped the 100% LE switch) :mad:

Whiskey3JMC

Chief of Ops of the former Firegroundaudio.com
Premium Subscriber
Great! Hope Berks County (and eventually Montco whenever they make the switch) soon follow. Maybe PSP if we're lucky, but that could be a pipe dream

radio3353

From the article..."Weaver also said that decryption would cost roughly $100,000, which Lehman said he would happily spend." There was no explanation backing up that statement, so I have to ask, why would decryption cost $100,000? :unsure:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Lead Database Admin
From the article..."Weaver also said that decryption would cost roughly $100,000, which Lehman said he would happily spend." There was no explanation backing up that statement, so I have to ask, why would decryption cost $100,000? :unsure:
The cost in manpower to go around and reprogram radios and consoles that are set up to encrypt full-time.

radio3353

The cost in manpower to go around and reprogram radios and consoles that are set up to encrypt full-time.
OK. With my county, engaging encryption is nothing more than flipping a switch. The radio room and mobiles turn it on and off quite often when desired (especially recently with the protests going on.) So that is why I questioned the $100,000 dollar outlay. I guess their system is different.

u2brent

Premium Subscriber
They don't do OTA Programming AFAIK and they apparently can't just flip a switch, So every affected radio will need to be re-touched.. It was an idiot idea to implement in the first place 2 1/2 Years ago, IMHO.. What a waste to do it in the first place, Then have to pay again to undo it.. What a waste.. :rolleyes: Based on the number of RID's I've logged, there are over 2000 LE radios.. Just an approximation.. That would be $50 per radio..

But glad it may return.. They have to vote on it first. It will make the Avoid Button relevant again :LOL:

Last edited:

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Great! Hope Berks County (and eventually Montco whenever they make the switch) soon follow. Maybe PSP if we're lucky, but that could be a pipe dream
Maybe, if Montco residents contact the County commissioners with a cogent argument based on Lancaster‘s planned changes and Buck’s policy you may see some change. The time seems right.

BigLebowski

This would be great.. like others I was rather pissed when they went secure on everything. Although to be fair I miss when it was all VHF analog back in the good days.

Septa3371CSX1

Never made sense from the beginning for them to encrypt the dispatch channels when they already had all the secondary channels encrypted. I do remember police running record checks on the dispatch channels when they were still in the clear. One thing that could be done if concern is shown for this info being put out in the open again is add a new encrypted channel to all the police radios that would be used for that purpose. Other counties have similar channels in place for this but it also requires a dedicated dispatcher to handle it at the comm center so it may not work for Lancaster County but it could be worth looking into.