Lancaster county renumbering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
A few of the departments have already gone through the renumbering process that Lancaster County wants to do (20, 60, 70, 80, 90, 94, & maybe 95?). I've heard they want everybody to go to a 2 digit station number so that means those with a X-XX number would definitely be up for changes.

Any ideas on a time frame all of the changes will take place and a list of the numbers everything will change over to? Will those with a X-X number just drop the dash and keep the same numbers or will they all be changing? I'm guessing the EMS units with the X-XX numbers will change as well? Anybody have any more info on the changes?

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Going through some of the web sites in the County I see a few more have changed already with others agreeing to change but have not made the change official yet. I don't recall all of them but will have to get the list of those I've seen. There were some that did surprise me though. I'm shocked Lancaster is allowing some companies to go to single digits. Mountville Station 715 is saying they'll soon be Company 7. Strasburg Station 510 will also soon be changing to Station 5.

warhawk911

Premium Subscriber
It is al because of a new computer system that can't handle 3 digit numbers very well. That is why several have already changed over including 7-10 which is now Station 10!

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Well there's one I haven't seen yet. I didn't know 7-10 changed. Just as a personal preference I like their choice. :)
I'm sure there was a reason for it but I never did understand why they stopped at 7 in the past instead of going to 8 or 9 before the mergers came in. Once they got to the 3 digits like that 7-10 or 7-15 to me the 3 digits look OK but once you start throwing a 7-15-1 or whatever it may be it just looks to big and clunky. So to me it looks better going to the newer 2 digits but we had a new numbering system forced on us about 5 or 6 years ago by our County and I hate it more every day so I can certainly understand if some of the places are attached to what they have and are hesitant to give it up.

warhawk911

Premium Subscriber
According to LCWC, all three digit stations have to change to a two digit number. Mountville though is still going with Station 7 and I know another one wants to go to Station 5. I do know that Columbia was 8-1, 8-4, and 8-7. Now they are becoming station 80 with the identifications being 801, 804, and 807. It is fascinating listening in on the new identifications like Station 30 which is Terre Hill (301) and Goodville (303). I do like it so far because it does make it easier to dispatch and easier on the hearing but at the sametime, when one doesn't realize that a unit changed identificaiton, it can become very confusing.

Tommahawk

warhawk911 you are incorrect. Please get your story straight first!!! If you knew anything about the history of LCWC and PSAP history you wouldn't be yapping your nonsense.

This is the 4th major overhaul of the numbering system since the 1970's when there were a total of 8 different dispatch centers around Lancaster County including those in Mount Joy, Lititz, New Holland, Quarryville, Lancaster City, and LCWC when they were originally at the Court House in the basement, and even before when they were at 900 East King Street. (I had the luxury of working the basement of the courthouse many years ago!)

I don't have time to go through all the changes and the history, but sufficeit to say this is the 4th major change in the numbering history. No big deal. Sometimes we have to flow with the punches.

warhawk911

Premium Subscriber
warhawk911 you are incorrect. Please get your story straight first!!! If you knew anything about the history of LCWC and PSAP history you wouldn't be yapping your nonsense.

Vindictive much?

This is the 4th major overhaul of the numbering system since the 1970's when there were a total of 8 different dispatch centers around Lancaster County including those in Mount Joy, Lititz, New Holland, Quarryville, Lancaster City, and LCWC when they were originally at the Court House in the basement, and even before when they were at 900 East King Street. (I had the luxury of working the basement of the courthouse many years ago!)

Thanks for the History lesson Tommahawk.

I don't have time to go through all the changes and the history, but sufficeit to say this is the 4th major change in the numbering history. No big deal. Sometimes we have to flow with the punches.

That I can agree with! We all have to roll with the punches in this situation. And if I was wrong in what I said earlier then I was. No need to get all uppity over it. Sheesh.

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
Tommahawk always had a way with words. In the time it took to type that blab of superior knowledge, we could've gotten half of the history lesson he promises.

Status
Not open for further replies.