Lancaster encryption issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibersop

Good afternoon! I currently have Radio shack pro-651 and pro-197 that are recieving encrypted transmissions on non-encrypted channels. I drives me bonkers! This only started happening a lot since the county encrypted all of the PD tgs and some private tgs. I do not have this problem with my unication g5. Are others having this problem and is there any fixes?

fredva

Feed Provider
Are you looking for the encrypted transmissions to be muted instead of hearing them? Those Radio Shack models did not provide that capability, unlike many Uniden models. A quick check indicates Unication pagers also allow encryption muting, although I can't say whether you have that setting turned on or not.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Good afternoon! I currently have Radio shack pro-651 and pro-197 that are recieving encrypted transmissions on non-encrypted channels.
Not sure how this is possible. Can you provide examples of which talkgroups are coming up encrypted that shouldn't be? Have you tried removing all of the encrypted PD talkgroups from your programming and disabling wildcard ID so a non-programmed talkgroup won't come up during a scan?

gibersop

Are you looking for the encrypted transmissions to be muted instead of hearing them? Those Radio Shack models did not provide that capability, unlike many Uniden models. A quick check indicates Unication pagers also allow encryption muting, although I can't say whether you have that setting turned on or not.
I am trying to figure out why I am receiving encryption on a non-encrypted talk group.

gibersop

Not sure how this is possible. Can you provide examples of which talkgroups are coming up encrypted that shouldn't be? Have you tried removing all of the encrypted PD talkgroups from your programming and disabling wildcard ID so a non-programmed talkgroup won't come up during a scan?
The main dispatch TGs and ops tgs on the fire side. It usually happens directly following a transmission.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
I have 2 PRO-651's dedicated to monitoring LCWC PH1 P25. one EMS/FIRE the other Fire Police/PW/LE (all known E TG's are L/O.
I have noticed over the past 3 months (possibly longer) that some fire/EMS TG calls begin or end with what sounds like encryption. even on the dispatch TG 4701.
However this does not occur at all on my SDS100's nor BCD436HP's.
Using DSD+ reveals that indeed there is no E traffic on those TG's when it happens.. It just seems to be some artifact that the 651's misread as audio when it's not really there..

You're not going crazy.. It's just the old radios doing something odd for some reason.. I can't explain it, But I've observed this as well.

I'm not aware of a fix, I just got used to it (ears tune it out)..

Possibly LCWC has enabled some new P25 feature this year that trips up the old radio, IDK.

Last edited:

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
I know my PRO-197, programmed via WIN500, has trunking settings for Control Chan detect timeout, Voice Chan digital timeout, and Voice chan RF squelch timeout--maybe tweaking those may help. But I have to admit, I wouldn't know how to change those settings via the scanner itself.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Honestly, it's just not that annoying to me to bother with any settings fiddling, It started happening earlier this year.
It's just a tinkling audio sound that sometimes persists for a second following a legit voice call.
Could be construed with what un-muted encrypted audio sounds like but quieter.

Status
Not open for further replies.