Lansing/East Lansing Listeners

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmziegler

Will the Uniden BC125AT or the more expensive BCT15x work to listen to Ingham County Pubic Safety? The database says (system type) EDACS standard and (system voice) ProVoice and Analog. I'd like to surprise my 83 year old mother with an inexpensive basic no frills scanner. Her apartment borders Lansing/East Lansing so my focus is there. Thank you.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I just had a thought. Do you or Mom have a computer? Consider monitoring her favorite channels on the web. I know little of it; some broadcasting is free, others you pay for.

I do not know if it is available for your area, so I am not much help. Sorry. But take a look at Broadcastify. They may have all you want plus some. I assume it would be much cheaper and you would get a lot more than buying a new scanner.

I'm currently monitoring Chicago shooting themselves into oblivion with my 536. Mom could also listen to other areas of the country with Broadcastify I think.

Greg

jmziegler

No, she doesn't have a computer or wifi. If I knew for sure that an app like Radio 5-0 didn't use a lot of data, I would just add her to my phone plan and hand her my old iphone.

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
I am not very familiar with the Uniden scanners but looking in the Wiki the Uniden BC125AT will not cover the EDACS system properly, you will need to get the more expensive BCT15x.

I listen to the Ingham County system often, there is a lot of traffic on that system. The majority of the traffic is in the clear analog via EDACS trunking. The Provoice traffic is mostly just the Lansing Community College public safety I believe. There is not much traffic in Provoice mode so she won't be missing much.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Now also down the road a couple years or so no definite date but ingham has been looking to go to digital which would mean those radios will no longer work. Just in planning stages and no definite timeframe even if they would change systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.