Lansing Michigan: Question scanner types for the area

Akuriko

Friday Harbor,Washington , in the San Juan Islands
Hello, I have a question my big brother went and bought a Uniden 355N and it picked up nothing, a big old nothing burger, then bought an sdr, and that isn't working for him again, a big old nothing burger, so now he's toying with buying a Uniden 325p2 or a Uniden 996p2, I told him to post the question but he's being a scaredy cat, so my question is for the sake of this discussion why or why not will the 996p2 or 325p2 work in Lansing Michigan over an SDS 100 or 200? or does it need to be a SDS 100 or 200 because of simulcasting, I keep referring to him needing simulcasting scanner, but he's too afraid to ask the question, I don't want to see him try buying another scanner till he realizes that he is losing money because of his location and because his counties are digital over analog.

So give me the run down if possible for 325p2 and the 996p2, why or why not? will it or will not it work in Lansing over him spending money for the SDS 100 or 200 for his home, he claims to simulcast is only when it's in a car moving not stationary, I know he will be watching this post as I am on the phone right now calling my big brother a chicken for not posting this for himself.

Thanks for your time and help clearing this up once and for all.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Looking at the sites, simulcast will definitely be an issue. The BCD325P2 and BCD996P2 may or may not work depending upon your brother's location. If you take the scanner mobile, it will most likely cut in and out depending upon its location in relation to the towers. The SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base/mobile are the only scanners specifically designed to receive simulcast systems.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
In some instances, a Whistler TRX-1 will work, but he will do better in that area with the Uniden SDS100. Location of towers and the receiving radio are the issues that make older scanners unusable because they pick up two or more towers at almost the same time and cannot separate the signals for clean audio. (Simplified explanation) I live in the Ann Arbor area and am lucky and get very good coverage with a PSR-800, but that is unlikely for most listeners.

KD8FSJ

Premium Subscriber
The SDS series are by far the best for simulcast scanning. Sure, you may be able to scan a simulcast system with a lesser scanner. Sometimes playing around with antennas and moving the scanner to find the sweet spot will work, for some. Not many people can afford to spend $700 on a scanner, so they'll find a cheaper one. Many times it leaves them disappointed. The SDS series addresses the simulcast issues. Something many listener had been waiting for!

I have not used an SDR on the MPSCS. I've heard they work well, are much cheaper, but might tie up your PC.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
A Raspberry Pi or refurbished computer can easily run SDR software to avoid using your main computer. It takes time and patience but can do the job. How to Get Started With Software-Defined Radio on Linux Linux generally runs well on older computers but does present a learning curve to new users. There is SDR software for Android tablets which can keep costs down further, but I have only tried them to see how they work.

Opossum214

Premium Subscriber
RR shows Ingham County to have 10 towers so simulcast distortion will be a big problem for the scanners you've mentioned. An SDS scanner or Unication G4 or G5 is the way to go if you want to monitor this system. My travels take me to that area sometimes and my G4 works great. I have a SDS 100 and a Unication G4, they cost more but, you will save yourself from a bunch frustration with simulcast distortion in the end with these radios.

Akuriko

Friday Harbor,Washington , in the San Juan Islands
Currently, big brother has an SDR radio and antenna and isn't picking up anything in Ingham county I think, feels like when using a conventional non-trunking analog scanner nothing, he's not losing hope but he's kinda a tight wade, he wants to listen to the radio on the most affordable system he can get, so he's next plan is a 996p2 or 325p2 I think because he thinks he doesn't need an SDS 100 or 200 to do the job, I think he wants to prove everyone wrong, lol, with me he knows where I live the problem isn't SDS its the lack of channels running, roflmao, have a blessed day all,

ToddWilkinson

ScanMN
Currently, big brother has an SDR radio and antenna and isn't picking up anything in Ingham county I think, feels like when using a conventional non-trunking analog scanner nothing, he's not losing hope but he's kinda a tight wade, he wants to listen to the radio on the most affordable system he can get, so he's next plan is a 996p2 or 325p2 I think because he thinks he doesn't need an SDS 100 or 200 to do the job, I think he wants to prove everyone wrong, lol, with me he knows where I live the problem isn't SDS its the lack of channels running, roflmao, have a blessed day all,
Prove everyone wrong? not in these forums he wont lmfao~~

fredva

Feed Provider
I think because he thinks he doesn't need an SDS 100 or 200 to do the job, I think he wants to prove everyone wrong
If he gets a less expensive scanner that happens to work, that isn't proving that others are wrong. All that would prove is that he happens to be fortunate enough to live in a location where simulcast distortion effects are minimal. The way to look at it is that a scanner not considered fully compatible with simulcast is more likely than not to have distorted audio and missed transmissions on simulcast systems.