LAPD Air/K-9 Hotshots channel feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cousinkix1953

Now we just need another of say LASD ABD/483.6375, and LASD SUD/483.5375, and CHP BLUE/42.34 on the list and we'll have a summary of major incidents for all of LA county! Now that's entertainment. :)
That's what I had in mind. Anything that matters can probably be found on a handful of frequencies. It's Friday night! Air K-9 can be really active on the weekends.

PJaxx

You would know more about that than I do. Are those IMPACT UHF repeaters very active with the same kind of traffic?
LA Impact isn't usually very busy, and when they are it is usually long, drawn-out surveillance, withe the only exciting moments when they decide to jam someone on the street and bust him. Good listening for a minute or two.

In my opinion if you want to try adding tac frequencies I think it should be on a separate feed. With like 39 or 40 tac frequencies just for LAPD, the odds are 40:1 against an unattended scanner finding and staying on a good incident like a perimeter for a pursuit or a felony suspect, unless the provider is listening to and controlling his scanner at the moment it is happening. Like Uplink mentioned, the tach frequencies, with their normally rather dull traffic would keep being kerchunked by the priority check, whether Air/K9 is talking or not. That could be almost as annoying as scanning a dozen dispatch frequencies and trying to hear hot shots in between the barking cats, and dogs stuck in trees.

I don't think I've ever heard LAPD dispatch a barking dog call, or LAFD a cat stuck in a tree. :lol:

mrbekhor

Question

I have a Pro-528 scanner is there i way i can listen to the hot shot lapd frequencies or no? is there anything i can do to listen to lapd frequencies? all i get is static. i got LASD and San Fernando PD Frequencies and LAFD and LACoFD. Lapd is my only one that aint working. I even got LASPD(school police) working. Also how do i program the input and output frequencies because i hear the output but i get the beeping tones and i know thats because lasd has there dispatch channels seperate from output and input.

Thank You

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
I have a Pro-528 scanner is there i way i can listen to the hot shot lapd frequencies or no? is there anything i can do to listen to lapd frequencies? all i get is static. i got LASD and San Fernando PD Frequencies and LAFD and LACoFD. Lapd is my only one that aint working. I even got LASPD(school police) working. Also how do i program the input and output frequencies because i hear the output but i get the beeping tones and i know thats because lasd has there dispatch channels seperate from output and input.

Thank You
This should be in a separate thread, but since we're already here... Unfortunately you can't monitor LAPD with the Pro-528, as they use digital rather than analog mode. Everyone else you mention uses the good ol' analog that's been in use for decades. To hear the LASD mobiles you'd need to program their mobile "input" frequency (exactly 3 MHz higher than the output), and that will work only if you're quite close to the unit transmitting, and your scanner isn't already hung-up on the beeping. It's a tough thing to do with much success, so most listeners just put up with the beeps... like the deputies do. They'll switch to repeater mode (they call it "the patch") for a good hot call, but otherwise you're stuck with the beeps on the dispatch channels. Their Tac frequencies don't use the beep.

As you've probably gathered from this thread, you can listen to LAPD Air/K9 online here though, at
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=3711. And check the Live Audio section for other LAPD feeds that may be available in http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?ctid=201

Last edited:

BigEvil

bigevil-albums-big-evil-scan-shack-picture1938-bcd-996xt-provides-lapd-hot-shot-feed-other-996xt-provides-lapd-van-nuys-bct15x-soon-provide-misc-fire-ems-bcd-396xt-hopping-around-whatever-action-i-find-interesting.jpg

there's how we're getting you guys those feeds. that top one I just setup for my LA City Fire listening but I'm considering maybe dedicating a feed for the LA Area CHP but it seems like it would be hard to track given their system no?

gman65

Premium Subscriber
bigevil-albums-big-evil-scan-shack-picture1938-bcd-996xt-provides-lapd-hot-shot-feed-other-996xt-provides-lapd-van-nuys-bct15x-soon-provide-misc-fire-ems-bcd-396xt-hopping-around-whatever-action-i-find-interesting.jpg

there's how we're getting you guys those feeds. that top one I just setup for my LA City Fire listening but I'm considering maybe dedicating a feed for the LA Area CHP but it seems like it would be hard to track given their system no?

Nice looking setup.

You're right it would be a pain to track CHP unless you wanted to just feed the West Valley office. If you can pickup mobiles from your location you will probably be able to scan the base and mobile channel only and have good continuity. However, I've found that after all the hard work to get a good setup to monitor CHP well in the area, most of the radio traffic is boring.

You may want to consider one of the LAPD Traffic Division frequencies. You'll get both sides on one frequency as well as the bureau wide broadcasts such as hotshots and all of one of the patrol divisions. For example, Valley Traffic Division (35) is usually simulcast with Devonshire (17). You also have the option of the other 3 bureau traffic divisions to pick from if you can pick them up there. You will get a much more bang for your buck there than with a CHP feed. At least until CHP implements the changes for Southern Division.

Just my thoughts...

Greg

gman65

Premium Subscriber
Then you've got LAPD covered.

Can you pick up CHP mobiles with your setup? From the West Vally office (teal) I can usually pick up mobiles from the 118 and on the 170 when I'm on the 101 in Woodland Hills using a Maldol EX-510B mobile antenna on my vehicle. If so, you may want to give the CHP feed a try. You may also be able to get good traffic from the Altadena office on the Brown.

BigEvil

Lemme try jumping around on my 396XT to see what I pickup, if it seems easy and its coming in clear perhaps I'll pickup another BCT15X or something to help provide that feed.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
I've actually updated my Van Nuys feed to include Valley Traffic and Valley Tacs.
Sounds good, will bump up the call volume some.

I'd keep an ear on it when you can though, because when staffing requires it or workload allows it, the Valley Traffic freq gets patched to Devonshire, so you'll hear both divisions' calls (and cars) on the VTD frequency. It's commonly done after mid-PMs go home (around 0200-0300) until mid-days come on, about 09:30, but sometimes they'll remain tied all day.

As Greg mentioned, the same thing is often done with West Traffic & West LA, South Traffic and Southwest, and Central Traffic & Central Div. If it gets really tight, they will start tying patrol divisions together, too, in a somewhat prescribed order. All the patching is done through the consoles, so the officers stay on their regular frequency, but get to "share the air" (and the RTO) with another division.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Watch - er, listen - for more LAPD frequency patching

As Greg mentioned, the same thing is often done with West Traffic & West LA, South Traffic and Southwest, and Central Traffic & Central Div. If it gets really tight, they will start tying patrol divisions together, too, in a somewhat prescribed order. All the patching is done through the consoles, so the officers stay on their regular frequency, but get to "share the air" (and the RTO) with another division.
LAPD has started losing dispatchers (PSRs) at the rate of about one a week since December, so you can expect to hear more divisions tied together for longer periods of time. Most are very experienced people taking advantage of the city's frantic (and lucrative for the 2,400 eligible retirees) "Early Retirement Incentive Program." Since the hard hiring freeze includes PSRs, there won't be any replacements coming for a good long while. (And I've already lost most of my good "inside" info sources :()

As of today, the #1 in seniority PSR is retiring, after having worked Communications Division since June 1974. When they couldn't find her any good instructors, they assigned her to me for a couple days, but she recovered from that, passed her probation anyway, and has worked the radio and phones for her entire career. The #2 PSR, I believe, is still awaiting "permission" from the city to retire and to be told what day she can (and has to) leave.

When staffing is below the minimum, which I'm told is almost every shift now, the highest priority is always assigning enough operators to answer the 9-1-1 lines, so they continue to meet the California and NENA "90% of 9-1-1 calls answered within 10 seconds" standard - page 8. The radios and auxiliary positions get whatever operators are left over. Fortunately, all PSRs are trained for and regularly work all positions, so anyone is capable of working any assignment, except BCC which requires specific certification.

After the traffic divisions I already mentioned, the "next up" divisions to be patched together are usually
Metro Dispatch Center:
  • Harbor & Southeast
  • Rampart & Northeast
  • Newton & Hollenbeck

Valley Dispatch Center (this may have changed with the opening of Olympic & Topanga divisions):
  • North Hollywood & Foothill
  • Wilshire & Pacific
  • Van Nuys & West Valley

Again, to hear a specific division, just tune to their regular frequency. When divisions are patched it's done from the dispatch center, so is transparent to the officers and to you... except you'll hear two divisions instead of just the one.

Last edited:

ctadam12

I haven't listened to OC Red in about 23 years, so I have no idea how busy they are compared to LAPD Air/K9, but you could take a shot at streaming both on one feed. If it ends up that OC never gets a word in edgewise you could change your mind... or perhaps try a left side/right side "stereo" feed?

OCRed was one of my favs. "attention all units and stations for station 32, a 211 just occured".

Also, I don't understand why no one likes listening to LASO. I think they are one of the best sounding agencies. And the tones don't bother me either, SRC just repeats everything anyway.

guest111

Only since I love you guys so much I got my other laptop up and running scanner cast so we wouldn't have the feed down for a week(apparently my motherboard died so HP has to have the unit sent in etc...)

I was checking the feed from my other computer and it seems to sound pretty good so I'll keep my ears/eyes on it until I receive my main rig back. Until then, happy listening.

Downside is that Van Nuys may be postponed for another week because the backup computer won't handle any more (it's just hangin in there for ya to keep the K9/HotShots rocking).

Thank you for providing this feed!

Status
Not open for further replies.