LAPD Air/K-9 Hotshots channel feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
I'm not trying to sound pushy or anything but I was curious if a SoCal streamer would be willing to put up only a LAPD Air/K-9 - Hotshots channel feed? I love listening to the LAPD feed already online but sometimes I prefer not so much traffic. With the LAPD feed usually the #1 current listeners feed, i'm sure the Air/K-9 feed would be a hot item also. Thanks and Happy New Year everyone.

Jason

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
"ROGER on Air/K9"

You'd think after 45 years of listening to (and dispatching for) LAPD I'd be tired of hearing them by now, but I agree wholeheartedly with your suggestion. You won't hear all the follow-up messages and details of the calls on Air/K9, usually just the initial dispatch and maybe a "Code 4" when it's over. OTOH, when a scanner is scrolling through five or ten divisions you can't follow a specific incident anyway. I hope somebody follows up on this. I see that your post was moved here from the "Live Audio" forum, but the link is still there.

(Drifting off frequency just a little...) Apart from the sometimes awful digital sound, the only thing about LAPD that truly hurts my ears is that the lack of uniformity, clarity, and consistency in the way RTOs say stuff over the air. "Back in my day" there was a very specific way that you phrased virtually everything that you said: some messages got a simple "Roger," others you would echo back the officer's message (sometimes depending on what type of unit was talking to you), and so on; every call and crime broadcast followed a precise format and sequence of information, etc. Now it's often a hodge-podge of however the particular RTO wants to say it. Of course we had only about 100 dispatchers (RTOs) back then, now there are about 600 PSRs, much harder to ride herd on that many. But times change.

I'm not trying to sound pushy or anything but I was curious if a SoCal streamer would be willing to put up only a LAPD Air/K-9 - Hotshots channel feed? I love listening to the LAPD feed already online but sometimes I prefer not so much traffic. With the LAPD feed usually the #1 current listeners feed, i'm sure the Air/K-9 feed would be a hot item also. Thanks and Happy New Year everyone.

Jason

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Same here from Texas.

Hot shot channel would be great.

Was born and raised in LA, and can follow most major intersections, divsions, etc.

But trying to follow the scan is hard. Hot Shot/Air/K9 would give outsiders a good "summary" of what's going on.

Rich

brandon

Database Admin
This is actually something I have wanted to see (or even do) for a while. If nobody else does beforehand, maybe I can throw up a yagi or LP so it can be received reliably enough to feed. Got a Pro-96 that's just collecting dust. I can pick it up right now but very borderline (1-2 bars on the meter) since I'm far away and blocked by the Santa Ana mountains. Also thought about doing one for OC Red channel but not sure if there is enough activity to warrant a dedicated feed.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
I can pick it up right now but very borderline (1-2 bars on the meter) since I'm far away and blocked by the Santa Ana mountains.
The dispatchers' side of Air/K9 is multicast on 484.400 and 484.350 for the south and north ends of the city - can you pick up either of them? You won't hear the simplex stuff, but from that distance you probably wouldn't anyway.

brandon

Database Admin
484.7125 and 484.350 are both heard at my location. I'm listening to 484.7125 as I type and actually sounds very good on my 396XT. Not too bad considering my distance from LA County (I am located north of Murrieta/Temecula). This is one thing I love about digital! :)

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
Yeah, the uniformity at LAPD is kind of lacking. The part I hate is for the shootings and stabbings. It's rather annoying when an Officer is giving a suspect description on a shooting and then dispatcher reads back that the suspect is wanted for an ADW shooting. Well is he wanted for just shots fired or actually shooting anyone? The dispatches can be confusing sometimes also for "Shooting just occurred", "Shooting in progress" and "Ambulance shooting".

On the other hand for the stabbings, they will say "a cutting victim" or something on all stabbing incidents. Well, is the victim cut or actually stabbed? Ahh annoying LOL.

Jason

You'd think after 45 years of listening to (and dispatching for) LAPD I'd be tired of hearing them by now, but I agree wholeheartedly with your suggestion. You won't hear all the follow-up messages and details of the calls on Air/K9, usually just the initial dispatch and maybe a "Code 4" when it's over. OTOH, when a scanner is scrolling through five or ten divisions you can't follow a specific incident anyway. I hope somebody follows up on this. I see that your post was moved here from the "Live Audio" forum, but the link is still there.

(Drifting off frequency just a little...) Apart from the sometimes awful digital sound, the only thing about LAPD that truly hurts my ears is that the lack of uniformity, clarity, and consistency in the way RTOs say stuff over the air. "Back in my day" there was a very specific way that you phrased virtually everything that you said: some messages got a simple "Roger," others you would echo back the officer's message (sometimes depending on what type of unit was talking to you), and so on; every call and crime broadcast followed a precise format and sequence of information, etc. Now it's often a hodge-podge of however the particular RTO wants to say it. Of course we had only about 100 dispatchers (RTOs) back then, now there are about 600 PSRs, much harder to ride herd on that many. But times change.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
OC Red and LAPD Air/K9 together?

484.7125 and 484.350 are both heard at my location. I'm listening to 484.7125 as I type and actually sounds very good on my 396XT. Not too bad considering my distance from LA County (I am located north of Murrieta/Temecula).

Also thought about doing one for OC Red channel but not sure if there is enough activity to warrant a dedicated feed.
I haven't listened to OC Red in about 23 years, so I have no idea how busy they are compared to LAPD Air/K9, but you could take a shot at streaming both on one feed. If it ends up that OC never gets a word in edgewise you could change your mind... or perhaps try a left side/right side "stereo" feed?

Uplink

Great tip about 484.350, I'm assuming it's on Oat Mt., because it's solid here in the Santa Clarita Valley.

I would love to add the feed to my existing one as another stream, but I don't have an extra P25 capable scanner lying around (they are dedicated to my vehicles).

I would also recommend adding LASD SUD, and ABD to the scan list, then we would have major incident broadcasts for the WHOLE county covered! Awsome:D

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
OC Red really isn't all that busy. It's included on the OC Fire feed and they only use OC Red for felony suspect BOLO's and any chases. Lucky to hear any traffic on it maybe once an hour or so.

Jason

I haven't listened to OC Red in about 23 years, so I have no idea how busy they are compared to LAPD Air/K9, but you could take a shot at streaming both on one feed. If it ends up that OC never gets a word in edgewise you could change your mind... or perhaps try a left side/right side "stereo" feed?

brandon

Database Admin
Yeah OC Red is pretty quiet for the most part. Maybe an OC feed with CLEMARS, Air Call, Red, and some of the interop talkgroups would be ideal. But Air/K9 would definitely steal the show :)

BigEvil

I'd love to provide you guys with that feed, waiting on hearing back from Radio Reference on becoming a provider

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
I got the chance to drive through LA last week on I-5 and listen to LAPD and LASD for the first time. The LASD busy tones were about as annoying as I was expecting them to be, LASD Aero and SUD (now County L-Tac?) had some interesting traffic, I loved LAPD's use of "Roger" in lieu of 10-4 (very Aeronautical/Military), and was disappointed with the P25 IMBE sound quality on all the LAPD dispatch channels I heard (are they using a REALLY early vocoder?)...

...but Air/K9 Hotshot absolutely stole the show. I had a preconceived notion that it would be moderately active (every 10-20 minutes?), and was totally blown away by the almost continuous stream of activity on it, with alert tones for new calls coming in seconds after the last dispatcher finished in many cases. It's quite an eye opening insight into just how busy LAPD is.

I would definitely listen to a feed. :)

Uplink

I got the chance to drive through LA last week on I-5 and listen to LAPD and LASD for the first time. The LASD busy tones were about as annoying as I was expecting them to be, LASD Aero and SUD (now County L-Tac?) had some interesting traffic, I loved LAPD's use of "Roger" in lieu of 10-4 (very Aeronautical/Military), and was disappointed with the P25 IMBE sound quality on all the LAPD dispatch channels I heard (are they using a REALLY early vocoder?)...

...but Air/K9 Hotshot absolutely stole the show. I had a preconceived notion that it would be moderately active (every 10-20 minutes?), and was totally blown away by the almost continuous stream of activity on it, with alert tones for new calls coming in seconds after the last dispatcher finished in many cases. It's quite an eye opening insight into just how busy LAPD is.

I would definitely listen to a feed. :)

yup, and with LASD SUD and ABD, you won't get the busy tones, but all the assistance calls air support and K-9's when major incidents happen in the entire county. Air 5, the Sikorsky, and the 240 Robert crews are also heard doing rescues in the Angeles Forest quiet regularly on SUD.

RadioDaze

+1 on hearing the hotshots fed separately. Pursuits will be called on there as well as all the stabbings, shootings, 211's and screaming females that make LA such a great place to listen to - from a distance.

gman65

Premium Subscriber
ahha for some reason mine had downloaded from the RR database as 484.7125,
lemme tweak and re-assess

That is the main frequency. There are 2 other simulcast frequencies that may give you better coverage. I get very different results depending on where I am. You may have better luck with one of those. Try 484.400 or 484.3500

Status
Not open for further replies.